Evolution in Schools

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

deathward22 said...
my question is simple, you say energy and matter can not be created or destroyed, then how did "god" created the universe because by that logic he couldn't create the universe because he cant create matter or energy.

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm :
it cannot be created or destroyed involuntarily or voluntarily by anything that is any form, energy. That is anything in physical form. God, however, is not bounded by the laws of nature and is not physical, but spiritual.

Mtizzle said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm:
I was reading some of the comments if he created everything why was there dinosuars we didnt live with dinosuars where do they tie into the Genesis explaination of life can some one answer this i am confused cause the bible says nothing about dinosaurs

NobodyYouKnow replied...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm :
Wnen the Bible was written, nobody knew about dinosaurs.

CharleyLatta replied...
today at 7:06 pm :
But supposedly the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit part of god so.... it would probably know.

Mtizzle said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm:
In the Bible God created something from nothing maybe he created the big bang and evolution he is God after all

NobodyYouKnow said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:05 am:
Evolution has many times been proven. It works with genetics. So you don't believe in genetics? You seem not to understand the concept of evolution, and therefore should not be attempting to write an opinion about something you don't understand. ALSO, freedom of religion is a constitutional right. Whether or not you yourself want to practice christianity, you cannot say that it should be taught in public schools.

Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm :
Christianity can not be taught. It can only be lived. We just want creationism to be taught. It also can be true and has equal, if not, more substantial evidense for it than evolution as shown in this article.

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
But if we don't teach creationism or evolution, what ARE we taught in science? We shouldn't have no idea about the beginning of life, but rather, all of the ideas. And while the Big Bang can't be proven, neither can God's existence.

AspiringauhorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Even if the theory of evolution is incorrect, that doesn't make it okay for us to be forcing one specific religion upon people in schools.

Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm :
Since when did creationsim became a religion? Christianity is a relgion (some say its a relationship, but I don't see the difference). We aren't saying christianity should be taught in schools, we are saying creationism should taught with equal dilegence.

TheEarlofZerces said...

I honestly don't get people that say that evolution isn't true and that it goes against the Bible. There's actually nothing at all in Genesis that goes against evolution. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

You see, contrary to popular belief, evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. It never did. Evolution is merely supposed to explain the origin of species (hence Darwin's title). The theory of evolution DOES NOT say that we all evolved from single-celled organisms, i... (more »)

ambnycThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

America is NOT a theocracy. We are not a Christian country. There is separation of Church and State - that alone should tell you we are not grounded in religious values. Jeez. Get it through your head.

There is scientific evidence for evolution and the big bang theory, it's your choice whether to accept it or not. But you won't, because you believe some invisible big man in the sky created us.

ambnycThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm :

And why c.reationism should not be taught in school -

"

Standard creationist claims — about the age of the Earth, the pattern of descent of living creatures, and human history— are contradicted by scientific evidence, and were rejected by mainstream science over a century ago. Teaching such claims in science class misinforms and mis-educates students.

It would damage our students' understanding of evolution, one of the most significant theories in science, cri... (more »)

Person said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm:
I dont know what school you go to, but in mine we had the option to learn about evolution, and it wasnt taught as fact, but more so as something we could think about later in life. And can I just refer to your first sentence. You say the country was founded on Christian principles when most (which Im just saying meaning more than half) of the founding fathers were Deists.

Person replied...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm :
Plus, I do believe evolution exists to an extent. I believe evolution is a synonym for adaptation. Take germs and bacteria for example. They have to evolve to some sort in order to be able to conquer and resist antibiotics and such, otherwise, they would have been long erradicated.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:13 am:
im not sure wich of the thousands of religeions or atheism is correct but i do know that when religion is taught people are annoyed in my science class there are a few budhists and some christens some muslims and some others and if you taught only one like christianity then all the others would be annoyed. also the mixing of goverment and religion in any form is rarely wise.

Sythan said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm:
Umm, No. This country wasn't founded on Christianity. The Founding Fathers were Deists. They refused to allow America to fall under the pretext of any organized religion, seeing how religion can tear peaceful countries apart.

LifeInTechnicolourThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm:

Actually, the theory of evolution isn't just a "theory" - this is a proven theory, just like "gravity theory" or "germ theory." It CAN be proven and it HAS been. 

Personally, I believe in both evolution and creationism. I believe we did evolve from monkeys or whatever. But I believe God set this into motion. Just like many things in the Bible are metaphorical, all the stuff about how the earth was created in a week and stuff in Genesis is all metaphorical.

LifeInTechnicolourThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm :
Oh, and about the science textbook thing? Science is schools is a funny thing because it basically contradicts itself. Each year in science you learn that what you were taught last year is basically wrong. That's just how it works.