In Response to n Atheist´s Defense | Teen Ink

In Response to n Atheist´s Defense

So I was reading random posts on a webiste of teen writing and study notes the other day. And there was this post titled Life as an Atheist. In summary, the post was basically a defense of religion from an Atheist´s point of view. Note that I write religion, because Atheism is a form of religion. This is so because relgion is a belief, Atheists believe there is no God. The author wrote about how her religous practice was scrutinized by her teachers and peers. She stated that where she lived most people were Conservative Christians. She also almost explained why she was an atheist. I say almost because she didn´t have a solid argument, not even a solid example. She simply stated that she could argue many reasons why God couldn´t exsist and ended with the statment that the belief in God was illogical.

On the topic of morals she wrote that although she wasn´t a Christian she agrees with a Christian´s morals. She states that, basically, you don´t have to be a Christian to be a good person. People don´t need a higher deity or the concept of heaven and hell to be morally concious individuals, she writes. She then ends with a promise of not intending to offend anyone, and of not believing in forced religious practices. As for the after life, she has has no answer; she believes that the afterlife is personal theory that varies.

Being an avid arguer and a Christian, I had a response and a few questions on this post. For starters, her post sounded like the same song all atheists sing. There is no God, it´s impossible, it´s illogical, stop worrying about such nonsense, and go on with your life. There is no absolute truth, there is no definite answer to anything. Everything varies and depends on the person. I agree with her that no one should scrutinize another person over their religious beliefs. In America you are free to worship your toilet and burn vanilla scented candles everytime you flush it. What frustrates me is that you don´t have any examples, any outside sources to support your argument other than feelings and mere reasoning. Mere reasoning, like when liberals argue that abortion isn´t murder.

¨No murder is when you shoot someone´s head off. Murder isn´t when you kill a fetus in the womb. After all it´s a fetus, not a person. Even then, it´s the mother who decides whether she wants her baby or not.¨ Well, that makes sense. If you don´t believe in God, the creator of life, than it would be up to a mother (a mere human being) to decide whether another human being is worthy of life or not.

As for this particular blog, the author wrote that she could give dozens of examples, but she didn´t even state one. As for the fact that good people aren´t necessarily Christians, I agree. I´ve met many honroable indiviudals who are atheists. And no one´s perfect or completely good, Christians are no exception. But how do decide what´s good? She said she agreed with a Christian´s morals. Well what are a Christian´s morals? Basically, there the ten commandments. If she agrees with the ten commandments, she acknowledges their truth. Well who really wrote the ten commandments? God. Truth is God, and she´s acknowleding both .

As for the varying and personal theory of the after life, well it corrolates with the Atheist´s nonbelief in absolute truth. Who know what happens when we die? If you don´t believe in God, anything could happen.

Lastly, I hope to speak for the majority of Christian apologetics when I ask: What´s the meaning of life? So far it seems to me that Christianity is the only religion with a logical answer. The answer, of course, that we are here as God´s creation to glorify Him and live with Him forver in Heaven. Story book like, perhaps, but it´s what we believe.

According to Atheist´s on the other hand, there is no meaning of life. They also can´t explain how we came about. Buddhists claim we´ve always been here and Evolutionists cling to the Big Bang theory. I refuse to acknowledge or even entertain the thought that we humans -who are so complex in feelings, memories, concious, and physical abilities- came from a series of chemical reactions due to infinite and finite matter expanding and appearing in space. In fact, the theory remains a theory because it can´t even explain why the finite and infinite matter appeared in the first place or where it came from.

In conclusion, I agree that no one should force their beliefs or religion on others; but when defending religion, people should be more specific. They should give more examples and arguments for their statements. I could go on and include more examples and references to support what I just said, but my point in this post isn´t of why God is real. My point in this post is that if your going to defend your religion you should be specific.I never say God is real because I believe in Him and it makes sense. It seems to me that Atheists just defend themselves by stating(on the topic of God and/or Theism) that there´s no way, how ridiculous, and it just doesn´t seem logical.

on Feb. 25 2011 at 1:26 pm
1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah

Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill

Hello again! I completely agree with Thesilentraven and have something to add. 

God is in EVERY religion. Or should i say, every spirit. Religion is simply one group's way of explaining their spirituality or values. 

on Feb. 10 2011 at 8:28 pm
K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

See everything, Overlook a lot, Correct a little.

No problem! :) It was very well done! Keep it up!

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Feb. 3 2011 at 5:10 pm
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
Holy cow, I'm so sorry Kathleen. I thought you sarcastically asked me how I know there is a God. That comment was not for you. Thanks for your supportive and constructive feedback. That's what writers love best. I'm glad someone else my age cares about these issues and sorry if my other extremely defensive comment gets posted. I always assume I'll be attacked or critized, not complimented and agreed with.

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Feb. 3 2011 at 5:07 pm
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado

How do I know? I know because I see beautiful sunsets a red and pink so bright, their blinding. I know because I've prayed on my knees and heard God answer. I know because love is God and I know what love is.

Where you there in the beginning of time? Where you there when two monkeys conceived the missing link which has never been found?

I can't make you change your mind, and neither can you. But allow me to quote Tom Hanks from the Polar Express when saying,"Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see." You can't see truth, or fairness, or justice, yet we know they exsist. So how do you know there is no God?

on Feb. 2 2011 at 10:00 pm

I do not understand, I apologize for my stupidity, but let me ask you this: how do you know there is no God?

on Jan. 16 2011 at 2:24 pm
John Price BRONZE, Maurertown, Virginia
"Buddhists believe we've always been here" this isn't true. Buddhism doesn't have one creation theory that applies to the entire faith. I, for example, believe in evolution, while I'm sure many Buddhists believe some divine being created life, but even believing in a god of any sort isn't really part Buddhism.

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Jan. 15 2011 at 12:35 pm
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado

Hey,

For once I agree. You still need faith to believe in God and His son.

on Jan. 14 2011 at 1:13 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I applaud you for your faith but hope that you will expand your acceptance for other religions. I doubt there is one 'absolute' religious truth.

on Jan. 14 2011 at 1:12 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

That's just the problem, isn't it? We all think we know the truth.

on Jan. 12 2011 at 7:25 pm
TechieForLife GOLD, West St. Paul, Minnesota

Live each day like it is the day you will be remembered.

Ok, Atheism is not a religion. We KNOW there is know GOD. Atheism is about NO belief. We formed by evolution. Simple as that. It's stupid that some people can think that some dude got NAILED to a cross, and died, but some how managed to come back ALIVE and sneak past TWO guards? And every thing in the bible are just collected STORIES that people put together that seemed the MOST true. That does NOT mean it's true. In conclusion, I know that there is NO GOD.