Prayer Ought to be in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Since 1962 young people in America have been in a downward spiral with nothing to catch them. They have nothing to cling to, no set of guiding morals, nothing to tell them the difference ­between right and wrong. Nothing to believe in; no ­foundation and no comfort for the agitated soul. Instead of upholding our Constitution, the Supreme Court ­destroyed it.

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Patrick Henry, a founding father and signer of the Constitution. Our country was founded on Christianity. That Christianity ought not to be taken from us.

Indeed, James Madison, our fourth president, said: “Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.” He would never have approved of the 1962 ruling of the Supreme Court – in fact, he would have cursed it. If our founders were here today, they would be putting their feet down and changing the United States back to the way it should be. The Ten Commandments would be hung in schools, prayer would be reestablished in the schoolhouse, and our government's ways would be corrected.

John Hancock, the first signer of Declaration of Independence, said: “Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.” God guided the fathers to give us the right of prayer – prayer in schools, prayer in public, and prayer everywhere. We have instead succumbed to the broken ways of the world and obliterated the words of not only our founders but God as well.

With God – the Creator of the universe, Savior of sinners, the Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of all mankind – I will uphold John Hancock's words and “nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us”!

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sorry, but our founding fathers were all for religious freedom, their audience was just too conservative to abolish prayer in schools. I like the article, but it's just kind of politically incorrect for me.

A_Fate_Unknown replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:34 am
Go to a christian school if it bothers you that much.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is well written and convincing... and yet I've got to disagree with it for both factual and personal reasons. First, anyone who refuses to allow you to pray (without disrupting the school) in school is probably violating the Constitution. And beyond that, the Founding Fathers are not the basis of all right in the world. If we were to abide purely by the Fathers' opinions, we would not only have forced Christianity but also slavery, no voting or any other rights for women or anyone who... (more »)

anna_banana said...
I feel that prayer should be allowed in schools. But not just Christian prayer. ALL prayer. I think, that if prayer would be in schools, everyone should have an opprotunty to pray for what they believe in. And honestly, if you don't want to pray, if you don't believe, don't participate in the prayer. 

theweirdworder This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
You ARE allowed to pray in school. You just can't be FORCED to pray in school.

OurSTORY said...

First of all, your writing was amazing i have to say. the way you strung eveything together was nice. :)

But now i have to disagree with the points your making. People are always bringing the founding fathers beleifs into thiswhich i find ridiculous. NO matter what their personal beliefs were, they founded a country that stands for many freedoms, freedom of religion among those. They, Christian or not, founded a country who believes in seperation of state and religion. It... (more »)

RiverSong said...

I disagree, and ask that you take the time to listen to my opinion as I listened to yours.  Your argument in this article is littered with incorrect information.  Far from supporting Christianity, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights list freedom of religion (as well as separation of church and state) as unalienable rights.  And you are also wrong when you say that prayer is not allowed in schools.  Because of the Constitution, anyone may pray whenever, wherever, a... (more »)

OurSTORY replied...
this was an awesome comment and i sooo agree with eveythign you said.

RiverSong replied...
Haha thanks. :) Yours was really well-composed, as well.

RiverSong replied...
Your other comment, I mean, not your reply to mine...

BlueRain replied...
I agree. And weren't most of the Founding Fathers Deists? I believe I read that somewhere.

DivingForRoses replied...
I absolutely agree with you, RiverSong. As an atheist, nothing annoys me more than the myth that people need religious text to have moral standards. I'm considered a stand-up member of my school and local community without religion, which is a difficult status to acheive in any small town in Tennessee. And to BlueRain, yes, many of the founders of our government were Deists. They rejected Bible verses for many of our documents because of their firm belief in religious freedom for all.

NadiaA This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This post in quite frankly appalling.

I'm sure that creating a democratic country where the will of the people were more powerful than the personal beliefs of any one man, be they a Founding Father or whoever else, was more important to the signers of our Declaration than creating a religious tyranny. As Thomas Paine said, "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, religious tyranny is the worst."

In your article, you condemn the change of 1962, but the Founding Fathers woul... (more »)

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Maybe they were all Christians, and maybe they believed that you had to accept Je.sus to avoid going to h.ell. But their private beliefs are irrelevant, because they very clearly stated that those beliefs were not going to be forced on anyone.

You are allowed to pray in school. Anyone who tells you otherwise is taking away your constitutional rights. But if you want your rights, other people must be allowed theirs- which means that you can pray all you want, but you can't... (more »)

procrastinating101 replied...
I agree with you completely Imaginedangerous. By putting prayer in schools you not only are making people uncomfortable but taking away their constitutional rights. Our forefathers came to this country for freedom of religion, to escape persecution for believing in something different than the ruler of the time. Myself being an agnostic I know I would feel that the religion of christianity was being pushed onto me if prayer in school was law.

TheEarlofZerces said...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 11:02 am
Actually, fun fact, I can quite easily deny this with amazing truth. Hehehehe, seriously though, what makes you think that your religion has a greater right than any other person's religion? If we do allow public, Christian prayers in schools, which are supposed to be places of mutual learning for all people, then we would be going against our country's greatest founding principle, which is tolerence. I remember when I was a little tyke in kindegarten, and I had my little lunchbox and I would si... (more »)

MortifiedFlesh said...
Imagine if our founding fathers had been Muslims, and you happened to be Christian today, would you be happy to pray to Allah? What if they were satanists, would you be pleased to pray to Lucifer? It doesn't matter what your religion is, or what the founding fathers believed, what matters is that we DO NOT force anyone to listen to your prayer during public school hours. While you are entitled to pray in school...pray yourself to death, if you wish...the seperation of church and state ... (more »)

carcinoGeneticist said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 8:25 am
This is very well written.  I do not agree with your position, but good job.  I believe that religion and education should be seperate in a PUBLIC school, that anyone of any religion can enter.  If the students in a school prayed christion prayers, then a muslim or jewish student would feel very out-of-place.  Morals should be tought by the parents of a child, or another role model- it is school's place to prepare children for joining the workforce.

deathward22 said...
The constitution is supposed to allow freedom of religion so why should we abide by you religions rules

A_Fate_Unknown replied...
also, morality does not come from god. If u need the fear of divine punishment to prevent you from commiting murder, your a horrible person.