Prayer Ought to be in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Since 1962 young people in America have been in a downward spiral with nothing to catch them. They have nothing to cling to, no set of guiding morals, nothing to tell them the difference ­between right and wrong. Nothing to believe in; no ­foundation and no comfort for the agitated soul. Instead of upholding our Constitution, the Supreme Court ­destroyed it.

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Patrick Henry, a founding father and signer of the Constitution. Our country was founded on Christianity. That Christianity ought not to be taken from us.

Indeed, James Madison, our fourth president, said: “Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.” He would never have approved of the 1962 ruling of the Supreme Court – in fact, he would have cursed it. If our founders were here today, they would be putting their feet down and changing the United States back to the way it should be. The Ten Commandments would be hung in schools, prayer would be reestablished in the schoolhouse, and our government's ways would be corrected.

John Hancock, the first signer of Declaration of Independence, said: “Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.” God guided the fathers to give us the right of prayer – prayer in schools, prayer in public, and prayer everywhere. We have instead succumbed to the broken ways of the world and obliterated the words of not only our founders but God as well.

With God – the Creator of the universe, Savior of sinners, the Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of all mankind – I will uphold John Hancock's words and “nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us”!

Virgil said...
today at 1:13 pm:
So, as I began reading this artical, I thought it was satire. Then I actually kept reading and realized that you actually believe what you're saying. SO, I am going to try to do what it seems the Texas (shocker) education system is incapable of doing. The US Constitution was orignially founded with (yet not upon the) basis of religious freedom and other liberties. What you ar arguing is that forced prayer should be brought back into schools, and I would be inclined, for the progression of ... (more »)

CharleyLattaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 11:46 pm:
It isn't a big deal if you pray in school, but making everyone else pray with you is the issue.

writinggurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 8 at 9:38 am:
What if people old you to take you opinions somewhere else? ( I would not do that) but I mean teachers and school are allowed to teach evolution which i dont believe in but still have to listen to. Why is it a big deal if I pray in school? If you and others are allowed to denounce God and Jesus then I am allowed to announce God and Jesus just as much as you are!

ShepherdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm:
Would you feel the same way if I wanted to start Islamic and Jewish prares? 

TimexxFliesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm :
Yes. It's all prayer

kmeepThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This article is so true.

RiverSong said...
There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that suggests that the founding fathers intended this country to be Christian. In fact, it is the opposite: they intended this country to have freedom of the religion. As in, don't force prayer on kids in a government-funded school. No one's stopping you from praying on your own, but if you want school-sponsored prayer, I suggest you uphold the Constitution and go to a private school.

writinggurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 8 at 9:32 am :
That is the whole reason people traveled over to America on the Mayflower was for freedom of relegion. This country was and is founded on Christian fundementals. 

CharleyLattaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 8 at 11:50 pm :
Do you hear yourself? "That is the whole reason people traveled over to America on the Mayflower was for freedom of religion."  So let's make everyone pray with Christian prayers.

Feb. 10 at 12:58 pm :
You misunderstood I think that christian prayer should be aloud in school. I DID NOT SAY that everybody should pray christian prayer. It would be stupid to pray to something you don't believe but still keep that right to peoplewho still believe like our founding fathers.

deathward22 said...
most founding fathers were deists, who believed in a creator but believed the creator kinda just left the earth alone so they would not change a thing. Why would they want prayer in school to a god that, in their mind, wouldn't even care?

J_Adams replied...
Jan. 23 at 11:07 pm :
I wouldn't say 'most', but you bring up a great point. Jefferson, Paine, and (to an extent) Adams were all Deists. In fact, Paine even wrote a book urging against most of what the author is arguing for (and, to clarify, I have no issue with prayer - as long as it is not forced and all religious beliefs or lack thereof are taken into account) and in favor of a government based solely on science, reason and justice rather than individual religious beliefs.

ahlisten said...
If we're going to say prayers in school, I believe we should say prayers from every religion. Which would take much longer than one school day alone, so May we should just stop learning things that may benefit us and just spend our school days being brainwashed by all different beliefs. I feel that's only reasonable.

DeathAngle said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:18 am:
It's commpon for people to not remember that for one religions prayer to be allowed in school all religious prayers must be allowed. So not only should there be a bible but there should be a quran and the other book(forgot the name) present in the hallsnof the government. Which is why I understand why they can't have religion in schools, i t would cause too many complications. So if you can't deal you delete. It's common knowledge. I hope you keep writing because if I don' tagree with you you ha... (more »)

TerraAnimusPatronus said...
I believe in compromise so why cant we have a moment of scilence where you can pray to what ever god or gods you believe in or if you are nonspiritual you can just sit there i dont understand why we cant just do that everyone is happy then to have a better world we must all learn to live with each other and not fight about whatever religon you believe in and just love each other a human beings

TerraAnimusPatronus replied...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm :
sorry for misspellings

CyberLydii said...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:45 am:

With all due respect, I feel that you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I feel that religious people should be allowed to pray, but those who aren't shouldn't be forced to.

Muharib replied...
May 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm :
who ever said "everyone will be forced to pray"?

wi234 said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:06 am:
this is a total violation of seperation of church and state. being in a democracy means you can have whatever ideas you want.

Aislinn016 said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:29 am:
Our country was practically founded on freedom of religion! You should be able to believe what we want.That is why I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance anymore their (The government) Is making things Christian.I am a Christian kind of and I still DO NOT agree with you at all!