Prayer Ought to be in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Since 1962 young people in America have been in a downward spiral with nothing to catch them. They have nothing to cling to, no set of guiding morals, nothing to tell them the difference ­between right and wrong. Nothing to believe in; no ­foundation and no comfort for the agitated soul. Instead of upholding our Constitution, the Supreme Court ­destroyed it.

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Patrick Henry, a founding father and signer of the Constitution. Our country was founded on Christianity. That Christianity ought not to be taken from us.

Indeed, James Madison, our fourth president, said: “Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.” He would never have approved of the 1962 ruling of the Supreme Court – in fact, he would have cursed it. If our founders were here today, they would be putting their feet down and changing the United States back to the way it should be. The Ten Commandments would be hung in schools, prayer would be reestablished in the schoolhouse, and our government's ways would be corrected.

John Hancock, the first signer of Declaration of Independence, said: “Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.” God guided the fathers to give us the right of prayer – prayer in schools, prayer in public, and prayer everywhere. We have instead succumbed to the broken ways of the world and obliterated the words of not only our founders but God as well.

With God – the Creator of the universe, Savior of sinners, the Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of all mankind – I will uphold John Hancock's words and “nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us”!

Chloe123 said...
Jul. 16 at 7:16 pm:
It's probably useless to post yet another comment telling you why you are wrong. But, of course, I will anyway. At least a brief one. First of all, you can pray in school all you want. Everyone has the individual right to pray whenever they want, wherever they want, as long as they don't coerce others into supporting there religion or interrupt the peace. So pray in school. Feel free. And in that way, I will be able to decline from doing so without feeling the wrath of my peers. No relig... (more »)

SomethingWittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28 at 6:01 pm:
I could not possibly post a response to this in the form of a comment, so I wrote my own article on it. I would love if you (the author of this article) would read it and respond however you may. The link is here:

TeenInk.com/opinion/spirituality_religion/article/678823/No-a-response-to-Prayer-Ought-to-be-in-Schools-by-GodChick/

Virgil said...
Feb. 25 at 1:13 pm:
So, as I began reading this artical, I thought it was satire. Then I actually kept reading and realized that you actually believe what you're saying. SO, I am going to try to do what it seems the Texas (shocker) education system is incapable of doing. The US Constitution was orignially founded with (yet not upon the) basis of religious freedom and other liberties. What you ar arguing is that forced prayer should be brought back into schools, and I would be inclined, for the progression of ... (more »)

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 28 at 12:32 am :
Thanks for summing that up neatly for me, ha. Another thing: You can pray in school. Nobody is going to stop you unless you're being discruptive (so doing it vocally while a teacher is talking). I doubt anybody will care. 

CharleyLattaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 11:46 pm:
It isn't a big deal if you pray in school, but making everyone else pray with you is the issue.

writinggurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 8 at 9:38 am:
What if people old you to take you opinions somewhere else? ( I would not do that) but I mean teachers and school are allowed to teach evolution which i dont believe in but still have to listen to. Why is it a big deal if I pray in school? If you and others are allowed to denounce God and Jesus then I am allowed to announce God and Jesus just as much as you are!

May 28 at 12:33 am :
Nobody cares if you pray in school. It's not illegal to pray in school, FORCED prayer is what is illegal as the public education system is secular, as it should be.  And evolution is taught in school because it is backed up by sound scientific evidence. If you have anything to dispute that evidence, step up to claim your Nobel prize. 

ShepherdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm:
Would you feel the same way if I wanted to start Islamic and Jewish prares? 

TimexxFlies replied...
Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm :
Yes. It's all prayer

SomethingWittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 25 at 5:26 pm :
I'm a devout Pastafarian and I can gaurentee that if I were to pray to His Holiness, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, I would be ridiculed. Why can I gaurentee this? Because it has already happened.

Aramis_LucettiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 27 at 1:55 pm :
Pastafarian in is a parody of relegion any way. i don't think anyone actually belives in it. I could be wrong though, I could be wrong though.

kmeep said...
This article is so true.

RiverSong said...
There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that suggests that the founding fathers intended this country to be Christian. In fact, it is the opposite: they intended this country to have freedom of the religion. As in, don't force prayer on kids in a government-funded school. No one's stopping you from praying on your own, but if you want school-sponsored prayer, I suggest you uphold the Constitution and go to a private school.

writinggurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 8 at 9:32 am :
That is the whole reason people traveled over to America on the Mayflower was for freedom of relegion. This country was and is founded on Christian fundementals. 

CharleyLattaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 8 at 11:50 pm :
Do you hear yourself? "That is the whole reason people traveled over to America on the Mayflower was for freedom of religion."  So let's make everyone pray with Christian prayers.

Feb. 10 at 12:58 pm :
You misunderstood I think that christian prayer should be aloud in school. I DID NOT SAY that everybody should pray christian prayer. It would be stupid to pray to something you don't believe but still keep that right to peoplewho still believe like our founding fathers.

deathward22 said...
most founding fathers were deists, who believed in a creator but believed the creator kinda just left the earth alone so they would not change a thing. Why would they want prayer in school to a god that, in their mind, wouldn't even care?

J_Adams replied...
Jan. 23 at 11:07 pm :
I wouldn't say 'most', but you bring up a great point. Jefferson, Paine, and (to an extent) Adams were all Deists. In fact, Paine even wrote a book urging against most of what the author is arguing for (and, to clarify, I have no issue with prayer - as long as it is not forced and all religious beliefs or lack thereof are taken into account) and in favor of a government based solely on science, reason and justice rather than individual religious beliefs.

ahlisten said...
If we're going to say prayers in school, I believe we should say prayers from every religion. Which would take much longer than one school day alone, so May we should just stop learning things that may benefit us and just spend our school days being brainwashed by all different beliefs. I feel that's only reasonable.

DeathAngle said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:18 am:
It's commpon for people to not remember that for one religions prayer to be allowed in school all religious prayers must be allowed. So not only should there be a bible but there should be a quran and the other book(forgot the name) present in the hallsnof the government. Which is why I understand why they can't have religion in schools, i t would cause too many complications. So if you can't deal you delete. It's common knowledge. I hope you keep writing because if I don' tagree with you you ha... (more »)