The Difference That's The Same

When most people see me reading a bible they exclaim "You're religious?!" I always say yes and they ask what I am. I look at them strait in the eye and say "I am what I was born to be, I will do what God, Buddha or Zeus tells me and until then, I will read the way of the Lord, who ever that is." They look at me with disapprovinf eyes and walk away. Think about it for a moment. Almost every religion has one basic rule, do not steal. Do not murder, or steal ones life. Do not commit adultery, or steal ones spouse. Do not worship any other God, do not steal my faith. Think again. It all makes sense doesn't it? Every religion, well most anyways, tells you what you wwant to hear and it makes all the difference but, weirdly enough, everbody wants to hear the same thing. That you are loved, that death isn't the end, that people will pay for the crimes they've commited, that we're all one and that there is hope.And to me THAT is the difference that's the same.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 11:23 am
I agree completely! Sure, religions are different on the surface, and everyone needs to find their own, but at the core, are they really so different? Why fight over what to call god and how to worship him/her/them when they all tell you the same thing-be a good person.

Stephanie D. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I know barely anything about any religion except christianity. What I do know that is different about christianity is that my god sacrificed his ONLY son just to save us. Jesus could have said no. His death was THE MOST PAINFUL death on earth. And Jesus knew it. But he loved us so much that he accepted his punishment and told God to forgive the people making fun of him. For me any religion pales in comparison.

In the catholic religion I know they praise Mary, which, is she the one that... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
'Amen' to this article; I agree. I wrote an article with a similar motive of meaning.