Vegetarian for change. | Teen Ink

Vegetarian for change.

By tessadear BRONZE, Lemoore, California
tessadear BRONZE, Lemoore, California

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
-Andy Warhol

With humans being the dominant species, we have made it from Ford’s Model T to HD television. Our economy has grown, more animals have their lives taken away, and each day fast food restaurants are feeding our population. We are so advanced because of the brain, it makes us industrious because as intellectuals we are free to choose our path in life.

Last summer I was looking for a way to be more healthy, and many teens like me have been brought up to fast food restaurants as our quick fix for our “nutritional needs”. Then I learned about vegetarianism, and began my journey to not eat meat. Why do you really eat animals? Of course your argument, if you’re a meat eater, is that humans have been eating animals since stone age. Well yes, you stand corrected but there was a small human population 2.5 million years ago and it was to survive. Long before there were products for vegans and vegetarians. Besides that, on July 1980, there were 226,542,250 people in the U.S. and 30 years later our population has quadrupled. More stomachs consume more food. How will we feed the future of tomorrow? Food supply would soon creep behind the overall population growth as the years go on.

Vegetarianism could save animals so that they may live full lives and also save their existence.

When I chose to be a vegetarian I was missing the important nutrient of protein for a while. With our technology being so advanced I was able to research the alternatives. Many stores now have processed vegetarian food like veggie burgers, and veggie hotdogs. And so I found it easily to get protein without eating an animals. Natural foods like peanut butter, almond butter, and black beans can also be a good source of protein. Of course being a vegetarian you have to enjoy the many variety of vegetables and fruit. The vegetarian food pyramid gives me the same nutrition as a meat eater.

In conclusion, being a vegetarian isn’t some strict diet, it is a way of life. One day you may choose to try not eating meat for one whole day and enjoy the variety of meals that do not include meat. In this article I’m not trying to force you to hate meat. I have nothing against people that eat burgers and do not scorn people for munching on ribs. In fact, many of my friends eat meat right in front of me. As a United States citizen, you have the right to practice vegetarianism according to the first amendment of the U.S. constitution. I respect that amendment and is grateful to live in such a independent country.