One nation under God

If we are truly one nation under God why must i say happy holidays instead of Merry Christms? Why is our president claiming we are a muslim country instead of a christian one like our fore fathers had said? If we are one nation under God then why do people insist on the seperation of religion and state? If we are one nation under God then when are people being put under trial for praying in football teams, schools, and on stage? Why is the name of the Lord we are under trying to be erased from our pledge of alligience that claims where our country stands? If we are one nation under God then why are students punished by teachers for bringing their bible to school some days? If we are one nation under God then why are we trying to exclude him from everything? I'm not saying we all should be christian or be forced to follow Jesus, but why is there restrictions on sharing my faith in a nation where we are supposedly one nation under God? Do I really have a choice of religion when I am punished for speaking about my faith in one nation under God?

joanna said...
people have difernt opinions when it come to religion

BlueRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
First of all, we are not one nation under god, at least, we were not founded that way. Funny thing is that it was added to the pledge during the Cold War because we were afraid of Communism and wanted to separate us from them. 1. You don't have to say Happy Holidays. Say Merry Christmas if you want, but it would be arrogant to say Merry Christmas to a Jew or a Buddhist or an atheist if you knew that they didn't celebrate Christmas. But if you don't know, then a short explanation will clear thi... (more »)

Look_to_the_starsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Well, were not one nation under God. Were one nation but America accepts all religions and saying that we are one nation under god is sort of ignorant to those who believe in budhha and nirvana or wicca or paganism or aethism. Its not fair to subdude other relgions like that.

ambnycThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Because we are tolerant of other religions, and we're not a theocracy. Two core American values that you seem to forget, swept up as you are in protesting not being able to force your religion upon other people.

DesertFox94 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:12 am:

The phrase, "One Nation Under God" was not in the original pledge. 

You can say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, that is a personal choice. You are not going to burn at the stake saying otherwise. 

President Obama has been going to the same Christian Church for about 20 years now. I'm sure he wouldn't call America a "Muslim Country".

People insist on the Seperation of Church and State because that is what the Founding Fathers wanted the country... (more »)

Travis Reynolds said...
May 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm:
You have a point there. I'm glad you spoke out for your fellow kind. I've brought my Bib.le to school at times and I never got into trouble. Actually, my pastor is fighting that my high school has a Bib.le class. I find that good. Good article!

andromeda13 replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:32 am :
im an athiest but i think it is great that your pastor is doing that. i think it is important for people to express there religion. it oly bothers me when people try to "convert" me. that too me is offensive. just like someone bringing a bible to school and preaching too me, sure bring the bible just keep it too yourself

Travis Reynolds replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm :
If you don't mind me asking, why are you "offended" if someone tries to conver you? I find your comment to be interesting. You, as an atheist, I didn't expect something like that to be said. My study on atheism is a revelation upon humanity. You say there is no God, but the thing is that you worship 14 gods: humanism, secularism, naturalism, scientism, positivism, materialism, intellectualism, existentialism, relativism, pragmatism, socialism, statism, pluralism, and hedonism. Res... (more »)

brie13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm :

@Travis. Wow you made an amazing point about athiesm there. And andromeda i understand you don't like being preached at but a part of the christian faith is to tell others about God. Maybe that will help you understand better why it is we do so. We as christians are truly not trying to be annoying or offensive in any way what so ever, we are actually trying to do the exact oppisite by sharing God's love like he tells us to do in the Bible.

Travis Reynolds replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm :
brie13, thank you and amen!

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm :

Those aren't gods, those are ideas. Your god is real to you, not an idea floating around right? so it wouldn't be the same for all of us.

I looked up the defintion of all of them, and if what you imply is that most Christians don't follow these ideas or don't respect them, then I fear for our way of life, and the tolerance level of this country.

MadMouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like this...also, our country is supposed to have freedom of religion...ironic, right? Freedom of religion..oh, except you, and you, and you...

writinglover24 said...
I totally agree with your article! :)

Kelz1141 said...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 8:14 am:
If you could give me an example of where someone is on trial for praying, or a student is getting punished for bringing their bible to school or anything like that because I have never heard of such a thing.

Dance.Dance replied...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm :
I agree with the government to keep religion out of school, because not everyone is the same religion, but other then that. Religion should be kept out of public things, but a prayer before a football game, that is not a big deal!  If someone does not want to participate, it is their choice, and should not be forced to participate!!  This is a good topic to bring up. Many people feel strongly about it.  Religion, as i said before, should be kept out of schools, and public things. ... (more »)

Kelz1141 replied...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 6:55 pm :
I agree with most of what you said but about the thing you said about the prayer before a football game I disagree with. If there was a prayer before a football game than that would be for the religions that pray. correct? What if there was a wiccan on the football team and they wanted to do some sort of ceromoney or something? Now think of all the religions out there and if they wanted to do something different. You can't just let one religion do what they want and not another, and to do a mill... (more »)

Dance.Dance replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 12:12 pm :
Good Point :)  They should be able to do whatever prayer, ceremony ect. But they shouldnt be forced to participate.  I just wish religion and politics and people could just get along...

Sunzgirl said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm:
The Bible Prophesied that at one time The governments would turn against religion. Want to know more? Talk to me.

1Corinthians13:4_8This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm :
where does it talk about it ? i know it is mentioned in the bible but not sure where?

songofsadness said...
May 18, 2010 at 9:10 pm:
i think the aryical has a good point, and at the smae time saying merry christmass may ofend others it dosn't offend me even though i am a wiccan or paggen because i grew up in a christian home