Religion, good or bad?

Which side are you on? Science or religion? I am an athiest, which means I do not believe in any type of god or afterlife. But I am open-minded. Many people bash athiest for not agreeing with everybody else. I have been told, "YOU WILL GO TO HELL." or "GOD HATES YOU." but also many people have been bashed for believing in some sort of god or afterlife. Even though there are much more people who are religious. I believe it is good to have some sort of hope in an afterlife. AND alot of religion encourages people to be nice and good and you will live happly in the afterlife. But to rub it in peoples faces? I believe religion causes more harm than good. For one example, Gay marriage. Alot (not all) christians think controlling peoples life is going to bring them in the afterlife with other people as well. As (I think) they are trying to do good they are not. Controlling peoples life and decieding who they should marry or what a woman can do with their bodies is obxious and controlling and they have no right to do that. A distant cousin of mine got raped by her father and she became pregnant because of it and she decieded to get an abortion but many people tried to stop her. Even some of her friends became ex-friends because of it. I don't mean to offend any one and I am sorry if I did. I am not trying to say ALL religious people are like that and not alot of religions are. Alot of christians do. Not all. Thankyou and bye.

VirginieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the article is ok, but you seriously need a better ending

JDrapinski said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm:
I wouldn't consider myself an athiest, but I do not believe in christian beliefs. This article states exactly what I would say. I am always argueing over this topic and my first point is always Gay marriage. Yes I totally agree with you. Finally someone who understands. 

matt7 said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm:
We as Christians have no right. However, God does. The Christian motive behind why we should provoke others to turn from homosexuality is love, not so that we could go to heaven. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:33 am :
You are so right!

Snoopy_Deluxe replied...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm :
The god you believe in has absolutely NO right to do ANYTHING to people who aren't Christian. If they adopt your religion, then you can tell them what to do. If not, please leave them alone!

Brianna M. said...
There's a lot of differant ways to look at this. In the modern world, people are allowed to have their own opinion and religion, which is great. But, when people start to judge others and degrade them or tell them they are wrong if they believe differantly is in violation of the basic right that they, too, use. If they act violently upon this image they create as "God's Will" or if they refuse to accept your way of living than, yes it is bad, But only to an extent. Yet, we really need to look at... (more »)

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm :
the Bible was written to keep the Desert Nomads of the middle east from killing each other?  Where did you get that from?  and on intolerence, I agree with matt7.  We should love everyone as God does, we just don't have to love what they do.

Mtizzle replied...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm :
tell that to the holocaust survivors that what happened was because God loved them, that their brothers,sisters,husbands,wives,children died a horrible death because God loved them im not Athiest but their are things that can not be explained through Religon and not believeing in some sort of afterlife or reincarnation life is very hopeless why do anyhting if your never going to live or see your accomplishments or your loved ones again

writer-in-pearls said...

I agree that people should not being treating you this way based on your beliefs, to quote Gandhi:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are not much like your Christ.

Ellie_Michelle said...
I'm so sorry that has happened to you.  God does NOT hate you, He loves you no matter what!  Even if He doesn't agree with what you are doing, He still lves you so much!  Christianity isn't about being good- the point is, we can't be good enough, and that's why Jesus died for us.  :)  And yeah, your cousin's friends should have stayed friends with her and just tried to help her through her problems.  Jesus taught us to LOVE others.  I'm so sorry this has happen... (more »)