Jesus who?

By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?

I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

on Mar. 18 2011 at 9:34 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I wasn't referring to "sway" in the sense that you want to convert me or anything; i was referring to in in the sense that what you're saying isn't a sound argument and that it doesn't have the logic to back you up.

on Mar. 17 2011 at 12:36 pm
HisPurePrincess ELITE, Flemington, New Jersey
Okay, listen, I don't expect to sway you, just don't expect to sway me either. And I didn't make a generalization saying that science is dull. I said that I find science dull. I have plenty of friends who love science, I just don't. It's not uninteresting, but it's not my best subject.

on Mar. 16 2011 at 7:52 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

And as for your appeals to "god" and his "light", that won't get you much sway from an atheist.

on Mar. 16 2011 at 2:42 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Also, we both know that that's not what i meant about the research comment, so no thank you, i'd actually like to stay on topic. You said that you find science dull. then you said that people should research before they make generalizations. Are you telling me that saying "science is dull" isn't an unresearched generalization?

on Mar. 16 2011 at 2:41 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

As for your fixation on the age thing, we're the same age. And I don't fully agree with you. I agree that ignorance is more prominent in younger people, but my comment was that one doesn't have to be older to SPOT ignorance.

on Mar. 16 2011 at 2:37 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

And your preference to be in the dark doesn't change the fact that it is self-imposed ignorance of the facts. All of your "i <3 god" crap doesn't really hold much sway with an atheist. In fact, the way i see it, it's more of a display of a lack of critical thinking.

on Mar. 16 2011 at 10:30 am
What, research that teens prefer the computer to going to church?  I'm sure the majority of teens would.  However, most of my friends wouldn't, and I'm sure other teens from other churches wouldn't either.  When I'm at church, and able to worship with other believers, it's the most amazing thing.  Somedays maybe I don't feel so great.  But then I'm there in the house of God, and he comes down to full it with his presence.  I've felt him, and the Holy Spirit and it's the most beautiful feeling in the world.  I was not raised under a rock, and I'm exposed to other beliefs.  And if I came face to face with an aethesit who challenged my beliefs, I'd still say that I love God and that he deserves my worship a millions times more than my laptop does.  And your age was relevant because younger teens tend to speak with ignorance themselves.  I know that when I was 13 and 14 I sure did.  And when I'm 21 I'll look back at this age and say, "Wow, I sure was ignorant at the time!"  One more thing.  If it's called staying in the dark rather than let myself be exposed to the trash and worthlessness and horrible things that happen in this world, I prefer to stay in the dark.  But I know I'm never in the dark unless I choose it, because God is my light.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 5:49 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

How is my age relevant? One doesn't have to be old to spot someone who prefers to stay in the dark.

"I don't think people can be blamed for being ignorant if they had no way to gain knowledge"

Yeah, i know that. But my response was to YOU, not the article. So unless you're telling me you were raised under a rock, I don't think you're excused.

"I'm just saying...research a little bit"

and then- "I find science extremely dull! [It] frustrates me!"

When you actually DO the research you're preaching then we can talk.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 11:02 am
So how old are you?  You're going to put blame on me because you think I'm ignorant?  I don't think people can be blamed for being ignorant if they had no way to gain knowledge.  And I'm perfectly certain of my UNignorance, thank you.  What I was trying to say was just the opposite of the author to prove a point.  My comment makes just as much sense (if not more) than the article.  The author made a generalization which was an error.  I'm just saying that I'm an example of how you shouldn't base things soley on your own experience, but research a little bit.

on Mar. 14 2011 at 7:54 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Yes. Anybody can be "blamed" for ignorance.

on Mar. 14 2011 at 7:27 pm
I love God and find science extremely dull!  God loves me, gave me a second chance, when I seek him I find him, he is everywhere for me, is always with me, he keeps me safe, I find peace and hope and purpose in him.  Science just frustrates me.  I prefer to talk with God.  Can you blame me?

on Nov. 25 2010 at 10:20 pm
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

I'm not debating the accuracy of the bible in this article!!! I'm saying that the fact that religion isn't evolving as such that people are going to start to look to other ways to explain the world around them. In a world where I am being preached tolerence and equality do I really want a system of belief that believes homosexuality is wrong?

on Oct. 11 2010 at 12:37 pm
Chica-de-sonrisas SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

(:

true believer, i honestly believe you arent helping matters here, because honestly, sammm7 doesnt give a wit about whether or not you will pray for him.so that was basically just spiteful.and true believer, obviously everybody with questions about the Bible shouldnt jsut be told to "go read it" to understand it,first of all because without Christ in their lives to help them understand it and discern it, they wont get it and second of all,they just wont want to half of the time. this is why we as Christians need to study our Bibles,and commune with God,in order to have answers to their questions,or provide some of our own.i wasnt picking on you,true believer.it was just something i felt needed to be said.its a common rutt alot of Christians fall into

on Oct. 11 2010 at 12:32 pm

(:

you say science has answered the age-old question of the history of the world....you might need to clarify that thought. i think you meant the "creation" of the world..the history is just something that has already occured in the past.if you meant creation,though, the Bible has already answered that age old question long before humans began to come up with their own versions of it.im not just saying, oh its older, so it must be better, no im just saying that everything the Bible has predicted,or stated, or had facts about..ppl have gone on many MANY searches to prove the BIble wrong..for example the Bible talked about the existence of a city,and a nation,that has disappeared off the face of the earth, and ppl have gone looking for it,just to say,hey we never found it,the Bible lies.well,they found it.in the exact same spot that Bible said it was in,2.God says ths Bible is the Word of Truth,everything in it will come to pass,or already has.if it is right about one thing that has already been found(the city)it is more likely the moon is amde of cheese than the Bible is lying about the creation.just saying you can believe what you want, for now, but when push comes to shove, you will choose which one to apply to your life,and the rest of your life will be lived with the consequences of that choice.(NOTE:dont automatically assume "consequences" is a bad term.you can the good consequences along with the bad,todays generation is just used to the slang version of it always being "bad")

on Oct. 11 2010 at 12:22 pm

(:

technically, there wasnt an "age old question" about human genetics, or the human genetic code, because we werent always aware of its existence.although now the question has been brought up,think about it.the chance of something so delicate and intricate as the human genetic code can not randomly appear by "chance". critically acclaimed scientists,and not just christian ones, have admitted the chances of that are 1 to about 2 trillion. just like when you open up a watch,and you look on the inside,you dont say"wow,this watch is pretty smart for figuring out the size pieces it needs and which directions to move,etc.",no, instead you think about the DESIGNER..who created the watch?they had to know how to put it together,and each tiny piece has a purpose.the same is with DNA when God created it.The intricate-ness of DNA was all created,before we even knew about its existence.and,i might add,before there was an "age-old question" about it either

on Oct. 11 2010 at 12:14 pm

(:

its not even necessarily about going to church to feel good, although of course that is a great thing, but you shouldnt just throw science out of the window. bsecause God created science, mostly because it allows us to see what an awesome and creative God he was when he created everything,and to draw us towards him in awe and worship

on Oct. 11 2010 at 12:10 pm

(:

i completely agree, most people(some Christians included) tend to forget that God created everything, including science.The more we study science,the closer we are to understanding that there had to have been an Intelligent Designer. Evolution (the main philosophy Marxist Lenonists and Naturalists,among others believe in) is already starting to crumble, and ppl are doubting its worth.of couse,with our media mostly having strong liberal standpoints,most ppl arent aware of this yet

on Oct. 1 2010 at 2:48 pm
Jazzypooh BRONZE, Wilson, North Carolina

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. (Phillippians 4:13)

You stated that teens would rather get on the computer then go to church. Well thats wrong I love my church and when I go and actually listen to my preacher I feel good. Some churchs are not even boring. If you would actually go to church and listen then you would learn a lot about life. God is real, forget what science says. All you have to do is look in the mirror, there is your proof!

on Aug. 28 2010 at 8:48 pm

Sammm7;  I would challenge you to read the Bible and then come back again with an opinion afterwards as to whether there is no validity to Christianity and belief in God.  I think everyone should read God's word first before completely discounting his existence.  Science can be a great tool of the Devil for deceiving mankind.

I will pray for you.

matt7 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 12:59 am
matt7 BRONZE, Charleston, Other

"For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel."
-Martin Luther

Kids also see school as boring and video games fun. :o  So what are you saying about ministers should not teach "love your neihbor as yourself" becasue they think its boring. Its called discipline.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!