Jesus who? | Teen Ink

Jesus who?

By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?

I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Please, learn how to spell "Bible." You seem to somewhat contradict yourself in this piece. You say how God is "debatably a fiction character," and go on to say scientist have proven DNA and such. Then at the end suddenly we find out you believe, though you spent the whole article talking about scientifc evidence. Then, the last sentence is "Can you blame them?" And I again wondered what side you were on! O yeah and for your information, I would rather go to church than go on the computer.  I hate it when people say teens would rather watch TV or go on the computer than do something else like church. You don't know me!! Please don't say youth would rather be in front of the computer than go to church. I find that offensive.

sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

I would just like to say one or two... or several things.

First, religion and insulin...? Um, just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that you can't be a scientist... It is very possible a Christian could have discovered that. The comparison is completely moot. I am a strong Christian and fully believe in many scientific principles.

Why doesn't religion move forward and stop "being dull"? First, I don't understand what you want Christian scientists to do... seperate themselves from other scientists? And being dull? I think you have to be a true Christian to understand the complete and utter joy it is to know Christ as your Father. Understand, you can't say Christianity and "religion" as identical beings. Christianity is a beautiful friendship with Christ. Religion can become a cult or as someone previously mentioned, something that drives people to kill or do awful things. You can't group all theists in the same category.

Also... just to point out, I don't know who told you Christians don't believe in DNA, but they were wrong. Science is declaring a Creator by saying there is DNA! In one strand of your DNA there are billions upon billions of evidence, all unique... all pointing to intelligent design. Look around at the world. Look at how orderly and functioning it is. How could some infintesimmely minute just blow and create something this perfect over millenia? It doesn't make any SCIENTIFIC sense.

Personally- and I take this from an incredible book title- I don't have enough faith to be an athiest.

MaeFlower said...
MaeFlower, Aurora, Colorado
Wow.  well thank you at least for the correction. 

nlee said...

Hmm, you made a few gramatical errors in that novel of a comment you wrote.

a) you're meant to put spaces between words ( you said soundslike)

b) standpoint is spelled S-T-A-N-D-P-O-I-N-T

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Correct me if i'm wrong (Ring a bell?).

snow67 said...
science rules :)

alex997 said...
"and if its not true who is it gonna hurt?"   are you kidding?! what about the thousands of people who are risking their lives and dying in afganistan? what about the SIX MILLION jews killed in ww2 ?!   you've got to be mental to think religion isnt creating more hurt than pretty much anything else in the world.

fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Thank you for your comment it's a very good point. I am talking about personal communications vs email. Church promotes getting together personally. I do agree that it's amazing that we can communicate across the world in seconds. I suppose they both promote togetherness in different ways.

fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

All of these comments are very interesting. I'd just like to clarify that I do not hate christianity and I am guilty of overgeneralizing. The message of the article was meant to be that new generations are and will be susceptable to the pros of science and the theory of evolution because of the new proof and progress being made. I go to church and believe that the church is an excellent thing. It helps the community and people can find support in the belief of someone watching over them however, it will become obsolete as science finds more answers and solves more problems. (p.s. thanks to the very helpful person who pointed out my obvious typing error)

ni77 said...
actually i have done quite a lot of research on this topic, as i have a lot of interest in it. and really evolution has a LOT more evidence behind it than religion. religion  has about the same amount of evidence behind it as things like fairies or leprechauns. things that people consider "miracles" are merely coincedences or things with a logical explanation. i respect other opinions and beliefs but i have chosen to believe in the side that has more proof, more reason and is more realistic.

I agree, I love goin to church to worship Jesus Christ. and he offers a free gift of heaven all you have to do is accept him into your heart and you will go to heaven, but you should love and obey the commandments. And if Christianity isnt real and jesus isnt gonna come back (which he will) then whats gonna happen. If you accept him you will get heaven and if its not true who is it gonna hurt?

choreographer218 SILVER, Prairie Village, Kansas

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.
-- Earl Wilson

I personally agree with BuddhaChica and I don't know about you, but I love worshiping God, and I am an average teenager. I also have a ton of friends who love to worship our Lord Jesus Christ. BTW... you don't have to believe in Jesus for Him to love you

on Apr. 16 2010 at 11:08 am
snow_monkey BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
I don't think scientists actually have the "proof" they claim to have.  Scientists aren't always right.  God gives us signs.  I mean, who says scientists can't be Christians? There are many Christian scientists in the world.  Evolution isn't proven to be real.  I can see that the world is expanding, but that doesn't prove a thing.  There are many teens out there who love Him, but are also interested in science.

Isajo BRONZE said...
Isajo BRONZE, Managua, Other
1 article 1 photo 8 comments
i would just like to clarify one thing: Christianity means follower of Christ. Its not a religion, its a relationship. 

ssssss BRONZE said...
ssssss BRONZE, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

If you love something, let it go, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was.

what are you talking about! do some research before you say that there's no evidence behind religion i'm a christian and have experienced one on one the evidence of God my pastor took a group of teens to mexico to pray for people and a woman that had been blind for forty years came up and as they were praying for her she started being able to see again and that was not bible times that was in the past ten years other unexplainable medical miracles have been made look around there's evidence all over

MaeFlower said...
MaeFlower, Aurora, Colorado

This is kind of true, but at the same time, it's not. 

A) your first  comparison is of two entirely unrelated subjects.  The Darwin awards are awards for people who somehow kill/disable themselves in very unintelligent ways.  And The Bible is spelled B-I-B-L-E (Yes that's the book for me...) 

Personally, I don't know if you come from an unbiased stanpoint or not, but it soundslike you are an athiest.  Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The article was very interesting, but you need to check spelling, grammar, etc..

And I disagree strongly with your last point, I myself find religon neither old nor boring.  My relationship with God (And Jesus! Same person but I found it important to point out)  is the most amazing, wonderful, exciting thing I've ever experienced. 

Donald Knickmeyer, St. Charles, Missouri
I disagree with science dividing the world more than religion. Technology has connected us. Without science I couldn't be talking to someone in Japan one minute and someone in Norway the next. Science has cut the time to communicate between continents from six months to six seconds. Moreover religion is a huge cause of division amongst the world. Why do you think the US war in Afghanistan started? Because some Islamic Religious fanatics decided to come and destroy the Christian infidels in the United States. What about the tensions between Israel and Palestine? The Crusades? The Spanish Inquisition? The conquistadors in South America. Millions dead, all caused by religion. Science may have invented the tools to rip nations apart, but religion is what made people act on it.

ni77 said...
on Apr. 10 2010 at 8:35 am
i find this article very interesting. science is something i know i will always have more interest compared to religion, but that may be because i was brought up by a father who is strictly atheist.  science has a lot more evidence behind it. i know people want something to believe in, but i think its time we start thinking more logically and realise there really isnt any proof to back up religion.

MusicalXMolly SILVER, Shelby Twp, Michigan

Live the life you love. Love the life you live.

"Youth love science and find religion dull." I think you might be exxaggerating a wee bit. There are millions of teenagers who love God and enjoy going to church to worship Him. There are also millions who enjoy science and learning about it. I know I might be biased because I live in a very religious part of my state, but this doesn't have a lot of truth and background to it. That being said, I did understand your point of view and why you confronted this issue.