Jesus who? | Teen Ink

Jesus who?

By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?

I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

How is my age relevant? One doesn't have to be old to spot someone who prefers to stay in the dark.

"I don't think people can be blamed for being ignorant if they had no way to gain knowledge"

Yeah, i know that. But my response was to YOU, not the article. So unless you're telling me you were raised under a rock, I don't think you're excused.

"I'm just saying...research a little bit"

and then- "I find science extremely dull! [It] frustrates me!"

When you actually DO the research you're preaching then we can talk.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Yes. Anybody can be "blamed" for ignorance.

fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

I'm not debating the accuracy of the bible in this article!!! I'm saying that the fact that religion isn't evolving as such that people are going to start to look to other ways to explain the world around them. In a world where I am being preached tolerence and equality do I really want a system of belief that believes homosexuality is wrong?

Chica-de-sonrisas SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

(:

true believer, i honestly believe you arent helping matters here, because honestly, sammm7 doesnt give a wit about whether or not you will pray for him.so that was basically just spiteful.and true believer, obviously everybody with questions about the Bible shouldnt jsut be told to "go read it" to understand it,first of all because without Christ in their lives to help them understand it and discern it, they wont get it and second of all,they just wont want to half of the time. this is why we as Christians need to study our Bibles,and commune with God,in order to have answers to their questions,or provide some of our own.i wasnt picking on you,true believer.it was just something i felt needed to be said.its a common rutt alot of Christians fall into

(:

you say science has answered the age-old question of the history of the world....you might need to clarify that thought. i think you meant the "creation" of the world..the history is just something that has already occured in the past.if you meant creation,though, the Bible has already answered that age old question long before humans began to come up with their own versions of it.im not just saying, oh its older, so it must be better, no im just saying that everything the Bible has predicted,or stated, or had facts about..ppl have gone on many MANY searches to prove the BIble wrong..for example the Bible talked about the existence of a city,and a nation,that has disappeared off the face of the earth, and ppl have gone looking for it,just to say,hey we never found it,the Bible lies.well,they found it.in the exact same spot that Bible said it was in,2.God says ths Bible is the Word of Truth,everything in it will come to pass,or already has.if it is right about one thing that has already been found(the city)it is more likely the moon is amde of cheese than the Bible is lying about the creation.just saying you can believe what you want, for now, but when push comes to shove, you will choose which one to apply to your life,and the rest of your life will be lived with the consequences of that choice.(NOTE:dont automatically assume "consequences" is a bad term.you can the good consequences along with the bad,todays generation is just used to the slang version of it always being "bad")

(:

technically, there wasnt an "age old question" about human genetics, or the human genetic code, because we werent always aware of its existence.although now the question has been brought up,think about it.the chance of something so delicate and intricate as the human genetic code can not randomly appear by "chance". critically acclaimed scientists,and not just christian ones, have admitted the chances of that are 1 to about 2 trillion. just like when you open up a watch,and you look on the inside,you dont say"wow,this watch is pretty smart for figuring out the size pieces it needs and which directions to move,etc.",no, instead you think about the DESIGNER..who created the watch?they had to know how to put it together,and each tiny piece has a purpose.the same is with DNA when God created it.The intricate-ness of DNA was all created,before we even knew about its existence.and,i might add,before there was an "age-old question" about it either

(:

its not even necessarily about going to church to feel good, although of course that is a great thing, but you shouldnt just throw science out of the window. bsecause God created science, mostly because it allows us to see what an awesome and creative God he was when he created everything,and to draw us towards him in awe and worship

(:

i completely agree, most people(some Christians included) tend to forget that God created everything, including science.The more we study science,the closer we are to understanding that there had to have been an Intelligent Designer. Evolution (the main philosophy Marxist Lenonists and Naturalists,among others believe in) is already starting to crumble, and ppl are doubting its worth.of couse,with our media mostly having strong liberal standpoints,most ppl arent aware of this yet

Jazzypooh BRONZE, Wilson, North Carolina

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. (Phillippians 4:13)

You stated that teens would rather get on the computer then go to church. Well thats wrong I love my church and when I go and actually listen to my preacher I feel good. Some churchs are not even boring. If you would actually go to church and listen then you would learn a lot about life. God is real, forget what science says. All you have to do is look in the mirror, there is your proof!

Sammm7;  I would challenge you to read the Bible and then come back again with an opinion afterwards as to whether there is no validity to Christianity and belief in God.  I think everyone should read God's word first before completely discounting his existence.  Science can be a great tool of the Devil for deceiving mankind.

I will pray for you.

matt7 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 12:59 am
matt7 BRONZE, Charleston, Other

"For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel."
-Martin Luther

Kids also see school as boring and video games fun. :o  So what are you saying about ministers should not teach "love your neihbor as yourself" becasue they think its boring. Its called discipline.

matt7 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 12:55 am
matt7 BRONZE, Charleston, Other

-Martin Luther

"Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God" - I have no idea what you mean by this; Christians are all for science, it was the Christians who founded all the well known universities in the West (Oxford, Harvard, Princton), and most of the others.

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Oh my gosh I didn't mean to post three responses! My comments weren't posting so I retyped them... lol. Sorry about that.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 11:07 am

I respect you for doing research and if there had been evidence in the article I would have been more tolerant of it. The statement in the paper seemed to say all the youth would rather go on the computer, not the majoritiy. Just because everyone the author knows would rather browse the web than go to church doesn't mean that applies to everyone else.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 11:04 am

Well I respect you for doing research and I would have had more tolerance if there was evidence to back up the statement in this article. The sentence didn't clarify that the "majority" or "some" teens would rather spend the morning on the computer than go to church it said "youth of our era" which I took to mean as everyone. Just because everyone the author knows would rather do that doesn't mean everyone else would. That's all I was trying to say and I really don't want to get into a big fight.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 11:00 am

All I was trying to say was I liked going to church and I'm tired of reading stuff that just say teens don't do or like x or z. Also, the author said "Youth of era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church" and I took that as everyone. I respect you for doing research and I would have had more tolerance if there was proof to back up that statement in the article.

fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Thank you for commenting, your opinion is what this whole site is about. I just want to say that your opposition towards the inequalities of the bible is great. It's a perfect example of how Christianity will not connect with future generations because of the way that they are brought up: in an environment of tolerence towards everyone. You turned towards a different belief but others will look to science to provide them answers.

I know no one asked but I would just like to offer my opinion on the subject anyway.  My parents were brought up as christians.. attending catholic schools and confession, however it must not have made a lasting impression for my family now is in no way religious.  My siblings and I were not baptised, I have a great uncle who is strictly an atheist and a few years ago when my grandmother passed away we held a non religious service in a non-denominational church.  that being said I am not a total atheist myself.  While I have no ties with "christ" I have a certain unique spirituality.  I believe in a higher power... not necessarily "god" or "buddha" or any other important figure yet without the explanation of something else out there how can we explain the perfection of the world we live in today? There is the empty void of space all around us, yet here earth sits in all of its glory a safehouse for life. I have disregarded christianity, I find it sexist (father and son? where are the women)  and discriminatory (homosexuality is cool!) and have embraced a sort of spirituality that is my own!

nlee said...
on May. 16 2010 at 11:20 am
jesus, people shut up about the bible typo. and yes i said TYPO. and you know what? maybe YOU find going to church fun but honestly, if you actually did the research you would find that 7 out of ten teens DO NOT enjoy going to church. and if you're wondering i have done the research.

on May. 11 2010 at 1:47 am
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Thanks once again for the help with my terrible spelling... (can we say typing error?) The point I'm trying to make is that following generations who are brought up in a society relying more and more on scientific development are going to disregard "The relationship with Christ" because of the interest and proof behind the theory of evolution. Where in this whole article do I contradict myself? Good for you to believe in Christ and congratulations if you can enjoy yourself in church but can you say that tomorrow's children will too? Also do I need a "side" to have an opinion? Lastly I'm glad you are offended. Most, if not everyone, I know enjoys time spent browsing the web more then sitting in a church.