My God is Everywhere????

Today I was sitting in class, and one of my teachers was talking about our graduation ceremony. My class was trying to decide whether to open with prayer or not. I thought we should, but some others thought that religion should not be a part of the ceremony. My teacher is not even aloud to say the word "prayer" because the state does not want religion to affect academics, and that we should strictly stick to book work. I believe that religion should be allowed in public schools. I get that some people do not have any sort of religion or look to any "God", but if you do you should be allowed to express yourself. Taking five minutes out of the day to say a simple prayer is not going to affect anything. If we had a foreign exchange student would we stop saying the Pledge of Allegiance? I dont think so! So why do we stop religion in public schools just because there are some people that dont believe in God.

writer-in-pearls said...
if you want to go to a school where religion is taught, you can! you can go to a private religious school. But since everyone has different religions, government funded schools won't include religion. Having a formal school prayer would make many students uncomfortable, but if you feel the need to pray at school, you are allowed to do so at lunch or break. 

Dexter02 said...
I think it should be involved to our daily acedemics. If not then I think they should make it an electives kind of thing. Where we can join to our own discretion. We should have access to everyday religion.

zinder1995 said...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:47 am
Amen! I totally agree! Don't they take into consideration that we might have some kind of faith- that maybe, just maybe we might want to pray? The first amendment gives us that right- freedom of religion. Prayer can change lives and i'll be praying for a change in American school systems because I know my school's the same way.