Happiness Beats God.

The Oxford dictionary is wrong: atheism is not the belief that God does not exist; it is the lack of belief in God. For me I am an atheist the same way I am an a-fairyist and an a-Santa-Clausist. I shouldn’t even have to say it. The fact that I do have to tell people at all is strange. I’m the one with the non-belief, why is it always me who has to explain myself to your belief?

You don’t have to understand it. You could think I’m wrong, though 95 percent of the time the arguments Christians present me with are erroneous and show a complete lack of understanding about evolution, the big bang theory, or even religion itself. (And trying to argue creationism makes me barf a little in my mouth, to be honest.) But here’s the big question: why are you arguing with me at all? I’m atheist. Big whoopdeedoo. I’m not going around bashing Christianity (unless one is chiefly talking about Church corruption and not belief), and I don’t even try to argue my side unless you intentionally provoke me with a nonsensical debate I can’t help debunking. I respect your belief, so why can’t you respect my non-belief? Please. Don’t pray for me. Don’t ‘understand’ me and then condescendingly tell me I’m going to hell, which I don’t believe in either.

For me, religion, or even the lack of religion, is not a big deal. I can survive. I can be moral. I can be happy, and yes, I can be fulfilled. If you need God, if you believe in Jesus – by all means, go ahead. I’m not stopping you, nor am I trying to stop you. But the patronising way many Christians regard atheists is unbearable. If you’re not one of them, I love you. Think I’m wrong all you like. Just don’t say it to my face and don’t try to convert me. I can be your neighbour, I can help you, I can love you without believing in what is for me a fairytale. (And, quite frankly, if you believe I’m an ignorant fool who doesn’t know anything about religion, then I am atheist all the more. How can I believe in something without understanding it? I don’t understand it and couldn’t understand it anymore than you can understand why I’m atheist. Besides, more than likely you hardly understand anything about it either, and was just brought up to believe. Which is fine, just don’t try to preach your ignorance at me in a condescending way, it kills me.)

I am not confused. It is true, I cannot prove to you God does not exist anymore than you can prove to me he does. You can try, if you like. But you won’t succeed anymore than I would in doing the opposite. Hell, (By Jove, cheesy pun intended!) it doesn’t even matter to me if God really, really, really exists or not. I have never felt a higher divine being somewhere up there. I have never felt I needed someone to talk to, to rely on, to believe in. I have never needed God, and I never will. I always felt stupid when my mother told me to pray, because I never truly believed anyone was listening. My logic tells me I couldn’t believe in God even if I wanted to. As for what created the universe, there are many theories, but I don’t care. I’m just trying to live. Without God.

Why? Because all that is necessary for me is my self-belief. I work hard and trust in my own abilities. I don’t need help from God, and I get myself through hard times by relying on myself, my family and my friends, all of whom are 100 percent real, tangible people. I create my own future, and my own past. I set myself my own challenges, or life does. And I get through it because I’m strong. Sometimes it is lonely. Sometimes it is hard. This is life, people. Life is not easy, but I am determined to make something of it with my own hands, because it is precious and only comes once. What more, I make my own accountability. I suffer the consequences of what I do, but it’s alright because everything is my own choice, my own decision. I do all this without the need to believe. For me, God is not truth. Happiness is. I can be happy without God, and that is true.

If you need to, if you want to, if you were brought up to believe, if you were converted: then believe. It is your choice. Just like atheism is mine, though to be honest it is more a natural state of mind than a conscious choice. Don’t hate me for it; it won’t do you any favours in the literal or divine sense. Why be so defensive if you ‘know’ you’re right? Class me as a loony bin, I’m a pretty happy one, thanks. I prefer to spend my life enjoying the physical, tangible world we call life than chasing phantoms neither you nor I can prove is real. Even inexhaustible philosophical questions like “Who am I” are more interesting to me than the question of God. At least I know that the metaphysical human identity exists for sure, whatever it is.

Life is beautiful, and so is love. This is something everyone can agree on and believe in. Life is sometimes simpler than you think. Instead of the pursuit of God, I choose to make my path the pursuit of happiness. This is what I believe.

PuzzleLuver said...
There cannot be True happiness without God.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm :
This is just ridiculous. I don't think you people even know what the definition of happiness is. Happiness; state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Happiness is an emotion, which means that it is felt individually by each person. Often we say that we "share" in one another's happiness, and all that means is that their happy emotion has made another happy. It is a positive reaction to something we find pleasing. To say that true happiness lies in o... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:11 pm :
And should it matter what is "true" happiness? The point is that you are HAPPY. Why do you have to ruin the happiness of others by saying your way is the one way? If you are happy, why does it matter at what "level" you are at? If your happiness fulfills you, LET IT BE.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm :
But why should love being a chemical reaction be so wrong? Why is it less beautiful than God just doing his magic and making you connect? Isn't it amazing that matter, actual matter is coursing through your body when someone touches you, that your body actually changes because someone made contact with you, and millions of tiny nerve endings are lighting up and sparking and traveling through you and that their body is reacting in a similar way? According to science, love is literally a light sho... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm :
To judge whether something is lesser or greater, you would have to experience with both. You can't say that one basket of apples has more apples than any other basket if you haven't seen other baskets (yes, I use metaphors like this). To say "that's just me" contradicts your statement anyway, because to make a comparison you have to have more than one of something.

CollinFThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm :
Your description of love was absolutely beautif . . . . wait a sec, that's just chemical reactions within my brain telling me that due to inevitable by-products of evolution. You see, we Christians don't deny that love can be broken down into a scientific concept: we argue that that's not ALL that it is. If that's all that it is, then it has no value, because life itself has no value. Love is no more beautiful than gutting your best friend's baby. It's all just . . . there.

Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm :

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:45 pm :
I'm an atheist, but I believe that there's a whole lot more to love than chemical interaction. Just because I don't believe in a god doesn't mean that I structure my entire life around science.

matt7 said...
Well this is hyporcritial. Calling what people believe fairy tales and condeming Christians for believing atheism is wrong. Open your eyes dude, most of these articles on religion is bashing the Christian religion.

Princeling replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 2:08 am :
Again, obviously not understanding the point of the article. i clearly state that everyone is entitled to believe what they want - this is just MY opinion, and you're free to disagree. This is an article written in the perspective of first-hand experience, not based on how many atheist articles there are on this website.

conversegirl23 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 7:37 pm:
Did you ever think that us christians feel the samw way about you?

Princeling replied...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 11:38 pm :
Did you even understand the point of this article? :P

andromeda13 replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:18 am :
Every one is entitled too their own opinions, and i'm fine with that i accept it. i'm an athiest and i have several really good friends who are Christian, and it doesn't bother me, i don't argue withthem because then i wouldn't be a friend. i don't deny the fact that God is real it just doesn't feel real too me.

Jesus_Freak said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm:
I am really glad you're happy with whoyou are and what you don't believe. But there are a few things that are insulting to us christians, like the fact that we try to convert you. I admit that we often try to convert people. But why do you think we do it? We care. We don't want to go to heaven without knowing at least we helped someone find Paradise.But, sometimes we're also just talking about our lives. I can't go to my atheist friend's house without being yelled at by her mom about how I'm not... (more »)

Princeling replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 2:06 am :
You're free to have your own opinion just as I am free to have mine. You may believe I'm rotting, and I believe you're being nosy. We can agree to disagree.

andromeda13 replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:20 am :
when people try too "convert" me i just feel offended, it feels like they arn't repecting my chioce, they wouln't like it if i tryed too convince them that God isn't real so i don't. 

krazykathleen said...
May 15, 2010 at 11:53 am:

Wow! I loved this- it's totally true! I happen to be a Christian, but I totally understand and respect your beliefs. My church is always talking about witnessing and saving people before they go to hell, but sometimes I have a hard time believing that just because you don't believe in God you would go to Hell. I know many people who are athiests (Half my family is) and I can't imagine them going to hell.

I also hate it when Christians are forcing religion on people- Good grief, it's th... (more »)

Michaela1 said...
I love this! Not only is it well written, it expresses my feelings exactly. I don't need to believe in an omniscient power to be happy or have morals.

matt7 replied...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm :
You can spend your entire life chasing your dream. How long will it take you to realize that a dream is but a dream? ;)

arat2b said...
My beliefs exactly!

LeannaRose said...

Happiness can only last for a short period of time, only GOd can bring you joy. My views compltely oppose yours. Please take the time to read my article, 'standing out what makes me different' and give me your opinion. thank you.

-Leanna Holguin