Just another untrustworthy atheist

It’s a normal weekday afternoon. I’m kicking back in the computer chair, relaxing after a long day at school. I open up my amazingly speedy internet browser (Firefox, of course) and initiate my daily visit to Facebook. I glance at my news feed long enough to notice someone’s reposted chain message. It’s one I’ve seen before. It says something along the lines of “I am proud to call Jesus Christ my savior. 97% of facebook users will not repost this, but I am not ashamed of God. Repost this if you feel the same way.”

I frown. Where do people come up with these bizarre statistics, I wonder. Clearly, most Facebook users won’t even see this post, so this is irrelevant anyway.

Slightly annoyed, I proceed to my message inbox; a rare event has occurred! I’ve gotten a new message! My frown deepens as I open the message and read an angry proclamation that I have allowed the devil to overtake my life and that the sender is very disappointed that I do not see God the way she does – the way I SHOULD. So, I do what anyone else would do: I click on the sender’s profile link so I can glare at her profile. But alas! She has deleted me from her friend list, so there is no profile available for me to glare at!
While I hastily type a rational explanation of my religious beliefs to the de-friender, I sigh in exasperation, but deep inside, I’m hurting. Am I not worth talking to because of my religious beliefs? Would Jesus have deleted me like that?
Every day, atheists in the USA face scenarios like this one. Recent studies have shown atheists to be the least trusted people in the country, with more than half of people questioned in one survey proclaiming that they would flatly refuse to vote for an atheist presidential candidate (never mind that candidate’s policies – atheism is a clear indicator of a crooked politician).
Such statistics, as well as the remaining presence of God’s name in the USA’s motto and Pledge of Allegiance, as well as on its currency (and even federal weaponry, as recently revealed) show that despite its alleged separation of church and state, the US still has a ways to go in the way of secularism and religious tolerance. The US, according to yet more studies, has one of the highest rates of theism, as far as developed countries go.
Other counties, such as Sweden and the Czech Republic, have much higher rates of atheism, with a majority of citizens in both countries claiming to have no religion. Despite the apparent lack of trustworthiness among the people there, I really haven’t heard of any horrible riots or violent outbreaks or mass terrorism in those countries.

Theists have asked me what my purpose is in life and why I feel any obligation to remain moral. Apparently, since I don’t believe in an invisible, all-loving deity that will promptly throw me into hell for all eternity if I don’t life a sinless, conservative lifestyle, I must be a purposeless animal of no morals. There is absolutely nothing stopping me from stealing and killing right now. Since I’m an atheist, I must be too stupid to care about humans laws and too unfeeling to care about humans themselves. Regardless of the fact that every atheist I know, myself included, believes all humans have potential, dignity, and worth, I am moral-less, crude, and unfeeling.

I’ve also heard people complain that atheists are too adamant about their beliefs. They are intolerant of theists and they are completely arrogant. They shove their beliefs down the throats of theists. While I have definitely met some adamant and arrogant atheists, I can certainly say that I have never been approached by an atheist with threats of hell accompanied by a cordial invitation to the church that will save me from these fires. And when I was a Christian (which I was, meaning I have given theism a chance), I was never rejected as a friend by an atheist due to my theism.

One could also argue that every single person is born atheistic, before being instilled with religious dogma and beliefs by others, or, as a Christian might put it, “receiving the Good News.”

Finally, I can say that if I’m wrong and that the Christian God really is up there (and there’s a chance that he is), then I’m sure I’ll be going to heaven anyway. See, if God exists, he loves me and he has a plan for me. And since atheism is clearly part of his plan for me, I must be doing the will of God. Since he’s all merciful, he won’t condemn me to hell for my lack of belief, especially since he didn’t offer any actual evidence of his existence. Yup, I’m certain that if God exists, he’s saving a nice seat for me up in heaven.

Comrade Napoleon said...
As much as the author may say otherwise, discrimination of atheists is not as big of a problem as you may think it is. I've never seen it happen, and a large majority of my friends are atheist. Maybe its the part of the U.S. he's in. I wouldn't be suprised if he was in the more conservative states/

StrictlyWorse replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:28 pm :
Sam, just stop. We're the largest minority in the U.S and we have no representation in congress. Literally no one in the H.O.R or the senate is atheist or agnostic.

luvxmex4xwutxIxam said...
Ok, so first of all show me in the Bible where it says that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. Psalm 37:28,29 says “For Jehovah is a lover of justice, And he will not leave his loyal ones. To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded; But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off. 29 The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.” So here it says that the wicked will be cut off and th... (more »)

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:18 am :
Um...catastrophes such as those have happened every waking minute since the very creation of the Earth. I don't think you can claim the Bible as having predicted all that, because it was already happening. Also, the Bible may say that the Earth is round, but it also says that the Earth was created before the Sun, and that the stars are nothing more than little dots in the sky that will fall down to Earth one day.

Inkfan said...

Atheism isn't a religion.  How can believing in nothing qualify you as a believer of any sort?  

But also, how can anyone who believes in God be doing anything wrong in the first place?  If, in the end, all of you non-believers are right, and there really is no God, then what did we lose?  Was having the comfort of a Living God really that stupid in the first place?  You guys would have wasted your time not believing, and we would have wasted it believing. &nbs... (more »)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm :
Actually, atheism isn't "organised" religion, per se. It's a belief because you can't disprove the existence of God, so you BELIEVE that He doesn't exist. It's the belief in the lack of God.

However, it doesn't have some sort of institute, like the Church, or rules or guidelines or anything like htat/

Inkfan replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 11:32 pm :
That...did a lot for me...thanks...*slips away before they can convince themselves that oxygen isn't real because it can't be seen, felt, or tasted.*

Nov. 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm :
LOL, what? Oxygen is real. :S I'm obviously missing some key point here.

But you've already slipped away, so...

ZombieDanceWithMe replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm :

what Inkfan is saying is that you can't see or feel oxygen, just like you can't see or feel god, but since we have oxygen, why not have god?

even though we can prove that there is oxygen and we can not prove that there is a god. 

Basically, because we can't see or taste oxygen then it will be the next thing atheists attack as not being real.  :P all just quite silly if you ask me.

StrictlyWorse replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:42 am :
WHAT? Oxygen is VERY much measurable and tangible within our world. How can you compare something that's on the periodic table of elements to a completely undetectable, omnipotent being in the sky?

CruxClaireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:24 am :
The presence of oxygen is a scientific question. The presence of God is not.

Corkyspaniel said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 11:38 am:
I love this. Thank you so much for this beautiful rant. I am tired of rejection myself. And this perfectly describes what my boyfriend and I go through in our conservative state with our conservative families.

fibonaccimathgenius said...
Jul. 23, 2010 at 9:32 am:
Beautifully written - exactly the way I feel.  We DO have a voice and we DO need to be heard.  If anything, I think that the Christians are more arrogant and shove their beliefs down others' throats.  If you liked this, check out my recently-posted article (finally), Society's Attitude Towards Atheism

Golgotha replied...
May 13, 2011 at 8:54 am :
Why should you be heard? You have no belief- thus that makes you have no morals in life. That I find bad in life. You expect people to have a havoc lifestyle? Think of what you are promoting. It doesn't look right coming from me.

Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm :

...........Seriously?

I assumed it was sarcasm.

Golgotha replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm :
Now why would you say that? You seculars, I dispise your thinking because it is evil and sat.anic!

Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm :

Heh. You spelled "despise" wrong.

I'm sorry, but you're making it rather difficult to take your comments seriously.

ZeeBYoung replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 1:04 am :

Golgotha, being Atheist doesnt mean you dont have morals. I know plenty Atheists who live moral, happy lives. And since when is it your place to judge?

Saying a persons way of thinking is evil and sat.anic, is very disrespectful. Its there opinion, they have a right to it and a right to express it. You can argue against it, but dont condemn it, because to me, that is immoral.

horsedelight said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 1:28 am:
actualy they may b trusted 2, i mean i'm an athiest nd when my friends have  a problem or some sort of drama or a secret they wann atel some1, they always come 2 me, they know i can b yrusted nd wont tell any1.... ppl that do that just bc u r an atheist nd that dont even know u r stupid, i'm not sayin christians r stupud bc abt 99% of my friends r christians

JustAnotherDreamer said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm:
I'm an athiest too. When one of my friends found out, she stopped hanging out with me. My english teacher has made it clear she  is a christian who loves god. She found out I was an athiest, and I could tell she hated me after that.

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm:
This article really kind of shocked me. I don't live in USA so I wouldn't know, but I didn't know that theism is like this in the States. Pretty well written too!