Just another untrustworthy atheist

It’s a normal weekday afternoon. I’m kicking back in the computer chair, relaxing after a long day at school. I open up my amazingly speedy internet browser (Firefox, of course) and initiate my daily visit to Facebook. I glance at my news feed long enough to notice someone’s reposted chain message. It’s one I’ve seen before. It says something along the lines of “I am proud to call Jesus Christ my savior. 97% of facebook users will not repost this, but I am not ashamed of God. Repost this if you feel the same way.”

I frown. Where do people come up with these bizarre statistics, I wonder. Clearly, most Facebook users won’t even see this post, so this is irrelevant anyway.

Slightly annoyed, I proceed to my message inbox; a rare event has occurred! I’ve gotten a new message! My frown deepens as I open the message and read an angry proclamation that I have allowed the devil to overtake my life and that the sender is very disappointed that I do not see God the way she does – the way I SHOULD. So, I do what anyone else would do: I click on the sender’s profile link so I can glare at her profile. But alas! She has deleted me from her friend list, so there is no profile available for me to glare at!
While I hastily type a rational explanation of my religious beliefs to the de-friender, I sigh in exasperation, but deep inside, I’m hurting. Am I not worth talking to because of my religious beliefs? Would Jesus have deleted me like that?
Every day, atheists in the USA face scenarios like this one. Recent studies have shown atheists to be the least trusted people in the country, with more than half of people questioned in one survey proclaiming that they would flatly refuse to vote for an atheist presidential candidate (never mind that candidate’s policies – atheism is a clear indicator of a crooked politician).
Such statistics, as well as the remaining presence of God’s name in the USA’s motto and Pledge of Allegiance, as well as on its currency (and even federal weaponry, as recently revealed) show that despite its alleged separation of church and state, the US still has a ways to go in the way of secularism and religious tolerance. The US, according to yet more studies, has one of the highest rates of theism, as far as developed countries go.
Other counties, such as Sweden and the Czech Republic, have much higher rates of atheism, with a majority of citizens in both countries claiming to have no religion. Despite the apparent lack of trustworthiness among the people there, I really haven’t heard of any horrible riots or violent outbreaks or mass terrorism in those countries.

Theists have asked me what my purpose is in life and why I feel any obligation to remain moral. Apparently, since I don’t believe in an invisible, all-loving deity that will promptly throw me into hell for all eternity if I don’t life a sinless, conservative lifestyle, I must be a purposeless animal of no morals. There is absolutely nothing stopping me from stealing and killing right now. Since I’m an atheist, I must be too stupid to care about humans laws and too unfeeling to care about humans themselves. Regardless of the fact that every atheist I know, myself included, believes all humans have potential, dignity, and worth, I am moral-less, crude, and unfeeling.

I’ve also heard people complain that atheists are too adamant about their beliefs. They are intolerant of theists and they are completely arrogant. They shove their beliefs down the throats of theists. While I have definitely met some adamant and arrogant atheists, I can certainly say that I have never been approached by an atheist with threats of hell accompanied by a cordial invitation to the church that will save me from these fires. And when I was a Christian (which I was, meaning I have given theism a chance), I was never rejected as a friend by an atheist due to my theism.

One could also argue that every single person is born atheistic, before being instilled with religious dogma and beliefs by others, or, as a Christian might put it, “receiving the Good News.”

Finally, I can say that if I’m wrong and that the Christian God really is up there (and there’s a chance that he is), then I’m sure I’ll be going to heaven anyway. See, if God exists, he loves me and he has a plan for me. And since atheism is clearly part of his plan for me, I must be doing the will of God. Since he’s all merciful, he won’t condemn me to hell for my lack of belief, especially since he didn’t offer any actual evidence of his existence. Yup, I’m certain that if God exists, he’s saving a nice seat for me up in heaven.

SingingismylifeSYV said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm:
I think this article is well-written and expressed, but it's very important to realize that this world has trillions of people-different people. Some people are easy going and accepting and others think only one way. Neither way is WRONG or tyring to STEROTYPE you, they merely are trying to share what THEY think is the right way. Every religion or Non-religion has facts to back up their point. So can't we all accept there is no particular "right way" Thank you for reading, and this is just MY in... (more »)

CruxClaire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm :

I take no issue with people believing differently than I do, or viewing the world in a different way. However, certain doctrines heavily include the idea that others who are not of the same belief system should be excluded. That's what I oppose. I don't want to be converted and I don't care to "de-convert" anyone, although I do enjoy debating. 

Do people stereotype others of different beliefs? Of course they do. There's no question about it. However, they are not always aware of t... (more »)

Nicole D. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 9:58 am:
I'm an atheist as well. Usually, I don't get made fun of, and I have many Muslim, Hindu, and Christian friends. For me, the worst persecution comes from teachers. My history teacher is very Christian, and he strongly supports it. He even called people who weren't Christian "poor saps". Really, I like the teacher, except for his religious beliefs. For students, it is a very big problem; if a teacher doesn't respect your beliefs, then you will not have an easy time in their class. Trust me,... (more »)

RumMonkey said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 8:40 am:
This article really hits the nail on the head. As an agnostic I totally agree:) I loved your other articles too.

MetallixRose said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 1:21 am:
I completely agree with you. I am 100% Athiest. We're getting smacked in the face everywhere, our currency, the pledge of alleigiance...why can't we be people, too? Are we so bad for not believeing in something we have no proof of? I've been hurt because of my faith..but I'm not ashamed to tell people who I am and what I believe. You can have your silly god. I have my life.

browneyedcat said...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:51 am:

I’m an atheist, but to a certain extent. I don’t believe in God, and yes I have read the Bible so I’m obliged to have an educated opinion about it.

I used to have a hardcore Christian friend but after her finding out in my disbelief in God she turned against me calling me these awful names that I’m sure God would be ashamed of.  I didn’t shove my beliefs down her throat I simply told her one day after she asked me for the fiftieth time what church I w... (more »)

Farley3263 said...
Sept. 27, 2011 at 10:31 am:
I'll pray for you.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm :
Waste of time.

John F. replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm :
You athiest?

Nicole D. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 9:53 am :
I'll think for you.

Coliosis said...
Thank you for writing this. I'm doing basically the same piece right now, but using my experiences. I searched "atheist" on here to see what else there was. This is the best. You're intelligent and not a jerk about it. A perfect atheist.

PuzzleLuver said...
May 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm:

I'd like to start off by saying I'm sorry for you that those people un-friended you because of your beliefs and that is wrong. But some of your writing is untrue "And since atheism is clearly part of his plan for me" this is not true, you see God gave us a choice and you obviously chose atheism, but he wants you to choose him because if you don't you are seperating yourself from him. "Yup, I’m certain that if God exists, he’s saving a nice seat for me up in heaven. " God wants us ... (more »)

May 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm :
But see, I don't understand why it's a sin that I chose not to believe in something that has no proof whatsoever. Am I supposed to feel something in my soul that tells me he's there? I don't think I could make myself believe in him. When I initially realized I was losing my faith, I prayed like crazy for him to return it, to come back to me, and that didn't happen. Silence was the answer to my prayer. Just standing up and saying "I believe" when it's an empty statement is, in my opinion, more of... (more »)

blahblah44 replied...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm :
Just because something has no proof doesn't mean it doesn't exsist. Evolutionists have never seen a monkey turn into a human being, obviously. Nor is it true that if something is not seen it does not exsist. Do you see wind? No, simply the evidence of wind. By the way, being politically correct in a post is not my "cup of java", so don't expect me to apologize.

Oct. 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm :
Speaking in scientific terms, nothing can be "proven," per se. You have acknowledged that evolution and the existence of the wind are supported not by sight, but by evidence. I do not believe in a god because I have not experienced evidence suggesting the existence of one to me. Scientific evidence is concrete/physical. Theological evidence is subjective. What one might see as evidence of a deity, another might interpret completely differently.

blahblah44 replied...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm :
Well then you're just missing out =]

mozzie13 replied...
Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm :
actually, theres this thing called Russell's Teapot and basically this guy, Russell, put it like this; if he claims that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it is nonsensical for him to expect others to believe him on the grounds that they cannot prove him wrong. so basically, you cant expect someone to just believe you when you say that there is some omnipotent being just waiting somewhere

Golgotha said...
May 13, 2011 at 8:50 am:
Your quote is what really got me. (lol) Are you saying that EVERY secular comes from the closet? Are you saying seculars are homosexuals in disguise? That I find funny. (lol XD)

Comrade Napoleon said...
As much as the author may say otherwise, discrimination of atheists is not as big of a problem as you may think it is. I've never seen it happen, and a large majority of my friends are atheist. Maybe its the part of the U.S. he's in. I wouldn't be suprised if he was in the more conservative states/

Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm :
"She," not "he," and yes, it does depend very much on the area in which one is located. In some areas it's not a problem at all, and in other areas, it's a huge problem.