The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

MrNathanXD said...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:35 am:

Well, to "challenge" this, what kind of creationalism would the schools teach? There are hundreds of different religions based of creationalism. I believe, yes, it is a good idea to teach both sides of creationalism and the theory of evolution.

I think the reason why they teach evolution is- its one theory. As to Creationalism has multitudes. I dont really support either, when we grow to the age in which we can start to think for ourselves. THATS when evolution or creationalism should ... (more »)

Jon S. replied...
May 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm :

clumsy hindues have creation as do wiccans and Sikhs creation is in most faiths 

i don't believe in the biblical god i think most of the time it was the devil faking to be god like in egypt 

i think of a cosmic watch maker so i think of evolution with gods help based on the fact that morality goes against a kill or be killed system at first but could be useful after you get into packs and herds but would not evolve in a pack or herd naturally 

SemiVeggie replied...
May 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm :
You're a deist?

Lilly replied...
May 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm :

clumsy_one123 : no sorry there is only one form of creationism. its hard to make more than one form of it since it's written down in this little thing we call the bible

if you say that, you are undermining other religions and their holy books or beliefs. There is more than 1 theory on creationism. You believe that the bible is only right, and that's inaccurate because another person can argue their reiligion is better. Your acting a little concieted by sayin... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
May 17, 2011 at 7:39 pm :
i did give evidence supporting the Bible. please read my article again if you overlooked this.

Lilly replied...
May 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm :
no you gave quotes from the bible. but no one really knows if any informtion from the bible is true or not. Your evidence is only based on what the bible has to say but infact no one knows if the bible contains true information. so techincally there is no proof and the bible cant be held as support

clumsy_one123 replied...
May 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm :

um yes, i did... i gave evidence to support the Bible. here it is, copied and pasted, for all you special people who cant read:

"Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, E... (more »)

Lilly replied...
May 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm :
You keep on giving evidence which is unreliable. What people say is their opinion, so their words cannot be taken to account as proof. Your missing the point yet aqgain. for all we know the bible is fake so you cant use anything that's init, or anything that people said about it as proof. is that so hard to understand

TeaCat replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm :

I agree with Lilly, you should listen to her. Some people don't believe that the Bible is truth. Some people-- who have different religions-- don't believe the Bible. I don't believe the Bible, personally, because I'm Wiccan, and therefore have a different opinion, so I don't like being told by some self-righteous religious fanatic that their way is the only way. It's presumptuous and rude, and I would appreciate it if you'd listen to other people's opinions, AnotherJesusFreak and... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 10:49 am :
i suppose you are also a hypocrite, because by telling me to be open to other opinions (which i am), you are not being open to MY opinion. just because i have strong beliefs in my religion doesn't mean i don't tolerate others (my best friend is athiest, and another of my friends is Hindu). so just because i refuse to change my views doesn't make me "presumptuous and rude". this is an article about Creationism and the Bible. if it ofends you (or anyone else), then DON'T READ IT.

AnotherJesusFreak said...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:20 am:

Wonderful! Really wonderful article! I'm so glad I'm not the only teen in America who is skeptical about evolution. Evolution was a theory, and still is a theory, created by men who didn't believe in a god and therefor needed there own version of how the world was made. Fun fact: 95% of scientists in America are atheists, so of course they're going to be biased.

Psalm 118:8 "It is better trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm :
thank you :) and thank you for all your comments. i agree whole-heartedly

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
Your so very welcome! You deserve it. I can tell you stuck to what you believe. Oh, and happy Easter!

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm :
And Clarence Darrow, one of the greatest oraters of all time said "Do you, good people, believe that Adam and Eve were created in the Garden of Eden and that they were forbidden to eat from the tree of knowledge? I do. The church has always been afraid of that tree. It still is afraid of knowledge. Some of you say religion makes people happy. So does laughing gas. So does whiskey. I believe in the brain of man. I'm not worried about my soul."

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
Blast it! Something's gone all screwy with the computer and I've commented on the wrong person.

clumsy_one123 replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 6:59 pm :
all good :)

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm :
Thank you. Oh and please tell me, if we were, as you say, molded from dirt by God, then why do we have an appendix? And where did the humans that Cain married into come from?

clumsy_one123 replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm :

the appendix actually does have a use... We can just live without it, the same as we can live with only one kidney. the misconception that organs like our appendix or our tonsils are useless is false, according to more recent studies. Just google "uses of appendix"...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-appendix-does-have-a-use--rebooting-the-gut-396277.html

As to the question about Cain, the Bible doesnt say God didn't create more people.... (more »)

KatreenaMarie said...
Evolution is possible. On a small scale, evolution is known as adaptation. Apes and Humans are of different species, yes, but does that mean that Blacks and Whites are of different species too? When people split off into diffferent regions of the world, people in sunny climates grew darker skinned to protect themselves from the sun, whereas people in snowy and cold climates didn't need to grow darker because the sun wasn't beating down on them. Therefore, evolution is possible.

creationist replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:25 am :

That's not how different skin tones work. Blacks are not Black because they are in the sun longer and Whites are not White because we're never in the sun. If that's how it worked then why are Blacks born Black and Whites born White? You are born with a tan because your parents have a tan.

It's called melanin. Each of us have certain genes (AA, BB, Aa, Bb, aa, bb) each representing a skin tone. When Adam and Eve were created, they had the genes Aa Bb, meaning they had what's... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm :
thank you thank you thank you! :)