The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism | Teen Ink

The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

January 20, 2010
By clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty


Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?



















Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.





Works Cited
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 347 comments.


ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 9:26 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

And I don't see any scientific, definite evidence, historical or medical or otherwise, being presented to back up Creationism. All I see is speculation on how the Bible was written/inspired by God, which is a totally different subject.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 9:23 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Alright. You seem to think that it is a "theory" in the sense that a man just thought of it one day and considered it a possible solution. In the scientific community, "theory" has a much more rigorous definition than in colloquial connotations. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Evolution has enough scientific backing to be considered an official scientific theory, which means that it has no equally acceptable or alternative theory, because that is the definition of a current theory in science.

You will find that the two meanings of the word are quite different. Therefore, it is rather ignorant to say evolution is "just a theory."

In fact, many scientists do call evolution a fact. It has been described as both a "theory and a fact", with the word theory, once again, being the scientific definition.


on Aug. 21 2011 at 6:13 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

Why yes, I am rather cute.

I didn't use "the Bible said so" and just leave it at that. I gave scientific and historic evidence to support my statement.

And once again (I feel like I've said this a million times), it's a theory, not a law. A theory is not scientifically proven. 


ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 6:08 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Also, "The Bible says so" does not merit your claims in any way, shape or form. "The Bible says God created man, therefore, it proves without a doubt that he did!" Um, no. It doesn't.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 6:03 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Oh, you reply with my words. Cute. There is no science and logic in creationism. Evolution and the Big Bang have been proven by science. It's simply illogical to argue that an invisible big man in the sky created us based on a whim. I'm sorry that you are so misled. Obviously I cannot change your opinion, since concrete science has failed to do so. Though in my opinion, it's foolish to argue against science. :)

on Aug. 21 2011 at 5:45 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

... Another athiest attempting to refute science and logic, attempting to support evolution and the Big Bang without understanding what it is.

Total failure. Evolution isn't possible, and neither is the Bigh Bang Theory. Get over it.


ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 10:08 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Here is a summation of your thought process: "Evidence God created the world - well, um, the Bible says so!"

"Well, none of this could have happened by accident! Therefore, there MUST be an invisible man in the sky who made all this!"

Riiiiight.

I will leave you with a quote, some food for thought.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams


ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 10:04 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

... Another Christian attempting to refute science and logic, attempting to refute evolution and the Big Bang without understanding what it is.

/facepalm

Total failure. "God" did not create the world. Get over it.


on Aug. 12 2011 at 9:27 pm
Emmyluwho BRONZE, Mckinney, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

I really don't believe in one thing or another. There are so many ideas and theories and beliefs that it's wrong to teach just one.

Fluffy2772 said...
on Jul. 25 2011 at 2:38 pm
Fluffy2772, McDonough, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 41 comments
The Law of Gravity says that an object accelerates when falling down. However, the theory of gravity is what gravity itself actually is. Gravity in Sir Isaac Newtons Law of Gravity is a vauge term. It is a theory because it is not agreed on how gravity works or if it is universal. However, Gravity in its vauge sense, as in object will fall down, is a law.

Fluffy2772 said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 11:48 am
Fluffy2772, McDonough, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 41 comments

You know that gravity is only a theory right? Are you going to stop believing that exist?

And secondly, our nation is secular. That means public institutions should maintain nuetrality towards religion. In fact, if we were truly secular, churches would have to survive on a comercial basis, meaning no public funding or exemption from taxes.
The for fathers founded this country with the belief that you can practice your religion without be persecuted for it, not so that it can be used to dictate our education and polotics. Thats why creationism shouldn't be taught in schools. It has no scientific backing.


on Jul. 6 2011 at 9:59 am
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

i didnt say that it formed immediately or right away. though neither are proven or scientifically supported.

Person said...
on Jul. 5 2011 at 10:50 am
Also, you make it seem like right after the Big Band supposedly happened, the universe immediately formed, when it supposedly formed gradually over the time span of billions of years.

on Jul. 1 2011 at 1:34 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

school systems dont only differ from state to state- they differ from county to county. not all of us are as lucky as you are, haha

Person said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 5:20 pm
I dont know what school you go to, but when I learned about evolution way back in 7th grade, we had the option to go home and tell our parents that we're learning about evolution to see if they were okay with it.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:08 pm
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois
25 articles 0 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

Viruses CAN and DO undergo evolution...how else do you think they become resistant to medications or antibiotics. If viruses didn't evolve we would have irradiated most of them by now. So I suggest you please do more research as well. 

“The host bacterium is exerting a strong evolutionary pressure on the virus,” Joshua Plotkin, lead author and assistant professor in the Department of Biology at Penn, said. “This happens because a virus must hijack the machinery of its host in order to reproduce. We are seeing that viruses are forced to adopt the particular codon choices preferred by the bacterium they infect.”


on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:07 pm
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois
25 articles 0 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

Viruses CAN and DO undergo evolution...how else do you think they become resistant to medications or antibiotics. If viruses didn't evolve we would have irradiated most of them by now. So I suggest you please do more research as well. 

“The host bacterium is exerting a strong evolutionary pressure on the virus,” Joshua Plotkin, lead author and assistant professor in the Department of Biology at Penn, said. “This happens because a virus must hijack the machinery of its host in order to reproduce. We are seeing that viruses are forced to adopt the particular codon choices preferred by the bacterium they infect.”

For the Big Band theory and the point you made about earth sustaining life, scientists believe that at some point Venus might have been able to sustain life. Many theories also state that venus had almost all the same habitable characteristics as earth, but it was hit by a meteorite...this meteorite has also been linked to the moon's creation. 


on Jun. 29 2011 at 10:49 am
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

i suppose you are also a hypocrite, because by telling me to be open to other opinions (which i am), you are not being open to MY opinion. just because i have strong beliefs in my religion doesn't mean i don't tolerate others (my best friend is athiest, and another of my friends is Hindu). so just because i refuse to change my views doesn't make me "presumptuous and rude". this is an article about Creationism and the Bible. if it ofends you (or anyone else), then DON'T READ IT.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 9:28 am
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois
25 articles 0 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

More than belief or anything else teaching creationism in school breaks separation of church and state (nothing of religious basis is allowed in public schools)

Also as a non-christian i wouldn't want to learn about a religion I have chosen not to take part in school. As an agnostic I have respect for all god and religions...but don't belong to a specific religion itself.

Lastly, teaching creationism in schools would disregard the cultures of; Jewish Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims and Agnostics. Not to mention the fact that it would SERIOUSLY upset the atheists. If they were to teach creationism in school, then they should also teach the values of ALL other religions. 


on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:13 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree with Lilly, you should listen to her. Some people don't believe that the Bible is truth. Some people-- who have different religions-- don't believe the Bible. I don't believe the Bible, personally, because I'm Wiccan, and therefore have a different opinion, so I don't like being told by some self-righteous religious fanatic that their way is the only way. It's presumptuous and rude, and I would appreciate it if you'd listen to other people's opinions, AnotherJesusFreak and Clumsy_one123.

I sincerely hope that I haven't offfended anyone with my name-calling.