The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Musicfeedsthesoul07 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:17 am:

This entire article made me cringe..based on the fact that you are severely misinformed. 

First, "If man evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys?" The modern ape differs from the humanoid which we have evolved from. Technically speaking modern apes are our cousins, we share the same ancestors but somewhere along the line we break off and evolve separately.

Secondly, "Complex organisms cannot evolve from simple organisms" how do you think diseases morph to become re... (more »)

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:09 am :
Thats a good quote!

monochromatic replied...
Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm :
What would you do/think/believe if evolution were proven wrong and the Bible, in it's original form, not all the other religions that have changed it to their liking, was proven to be completely logical and match up with science and history?

cam_parks said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:51 am:
evolution and the big bang sound more reasonable than a guy multiplying fish or walking across water? ha your essay makes no sense

Mtizzle said...
in the theory of evolution man did not evole from apes apes and monkeys evolved seperately from a common ancestor not hta one day a monkey gave birth to a modern human and the big bang theory is just that a theory, along with that the law of gravity was once a theory and it was proved their are all kinds of theories out there that are proven and discredited. but what matters is that you dont go around and complain about your religous affliation and how its under attack and how it is worng to use... (more »)

LILMISSCANARY said...
If the Big Bang Theory is true, God made it happen. If the accepted theories of evolution are true, God allows them.

lizzielou replied...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm :
Then quick question, food for thought: if God made the big bang and evolution happen, is the bible a lie?

TerraAnimusPatronus replied...
Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm :
the bible has been changed many times things have been cut and added so no one really ever knows

sara replied...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm :
untrue. we still have original manuscripts, and when today's evrsion of the bible is compared to the manuscripts, the only mistakes are simple gramatical ones. 

TheEarlofZerces said...

Part 2

Also, you failed to even mention the Appendix argument or Carbon-dating, which are probably the strongest points for evolution and the first thing you would need to disprove for empiricists to take your argument seriously. Instead, you relied on quotes from the Bible, to show us how scientifically savvy the old goat farmers of Jerusalem were. However, there are also several scientific INaccuracies in the Bible, and this also makes your "No-Contradictions in ... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm :
there's a reason the Apocrypha isn't found in most bibles... it's because they have been ruled false. so no dur they're full of contradictions to the bible. also, evolution COMBINED with the big bang theory explain one side of the origin of life, thus making it the alternative side to creationism. and since evolution attempts to explain where man came from, i would call that the origin of life... just saying. and finally, creationism does not just relate to christianity. it is also a part of jud... (more »)

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:04 am :
You still haven't mentioned the appendix argument or carbon dating. Also, didn't I specifically say that evolution has NOTHING TO DO with the origin of life? And that it has NOTHING TO DO with atheism or agnosticism? That's why it's taught in Public schools while creationism isn't. Plus, who says that the Apocrypha is false? The same people who said that the Earth was the center of the Universe for centuries, even when confronted by opposing facts? The same people who say that the stars are noth... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
i am not ignoring what you've written in your argument. i just simply do not consider your argument truthful. in my defense, you haven't really listened to my argument either. so perhaps since neither of us is going to convert the other to their own beliefs we should call it a draw and stop arguing. (and for the record, i did resopnd to your argument on the appendix and carbon dating, but it wouldnt post, and i didnt feel like typing it all out again. sorry)

TheEarlofZerces said...

Part 1

Okay, this is a response to both your original post and several comments and resulting arguments following your post. First of all, let me clarify to everyone exactly what the theory of Evolution is, because there seems to be some misconceptions going on about that. Evolution is the idea that, as millions of years pass, traits in organisms that support the most likely chance for survival and procreation will continue, while less valuable traits will eventual... (more »)

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm :
Please ignore this post. Instead look at the one below this. The second one has more stuff in it.

TheEarlofZerces said...

Part 1

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 7:36 pm :

Part 2

TheEarlofZerces said...
If that's true, oh clumsy_one123, then he isn't a god, but a devil.

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Oh, my bad. That was supposed to be a comment to clumsy_one123's argument with John S. over whether or not God can do whatever he pleases, not an original post. I apologize to everyone for my clumsy falter.

dolphin13 said...
I agree with you 100%! If they want to teach evolution, they can go ahead, but don't label it as the truth. If they are teaching one theory then they should  teach all possibilities, so creationism should be included. There is no solid scientific proof on any of the theories on how the world was created.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm :
I agree that perhaps other theories ought to be taught, but, since creationism is religious, teachers would have to teach every creation myth ever in order to extinguish bias.