The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank you very much for this article! It is good to see another teenager not letting themselves believing whatever the school tells them. However, I think that this article would be more constructive if instead of directly pointing to Christianity as the solution (even though I believe that it is the only solution), I would suggest simply pointing to inteligent design which is layed out in the first chapters of Genesis. It is simply the idea that God (or a god) created everything in the universe... (more »)

Krian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm :
Not sure if this quote has already been mentioned in the comments, but I'm not going to read through 16 pages to find out if it has     "If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" This is equivalent to asking: "If Americans came from Europe, how are there still Europeans?"

Sept. 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm :
whoops, replied to the wrong person, sorry. Meant to respond to the whole article in general.

Aramis_LucettiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm :
Wow. The big bang theory I'll give you that isn't a lot of proof. But you can't teach your creation story, because that would ipose on the rights of others.  Evolution has nothing but proof. It has the fosil record, and all of science behind it.  Yes, it is church stuff, and should not be forced on tens. Science is the physical truth, and your "biblical truths" should be ccepted on faith, in church or private school, but not in pub lic school. We seperation of... (more »)

Seller_of_Purple replied...
Mar. 9 at 6:31 pm :
AnInkling - that's ridiculous - someone moving from Europe to America is rather different than people evolving from apes........... One has to do with moving from one area to another, the other has to do with animals somehow transforming into intelligent human beings. The argument is completely valid.

Bravewolfd said...
I agree with this! There are so many holes in the evolution theory.  Creationism should be taught in school. (I'd make it an elective though.) I don't understand why they would even come up with the idea we came from something that was never even alive. Even if life could evolve, it'd just die out.  Like with the question, which came first, the chicken or the egg? The chicken of course, but something has to fertilize the egg from that came from the chicken, and what are the... (more »)

FreeRain11 said...
"In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man." Yes, because absoloutely everyone agrees with the Bible and that it is the word of God (sarcastic).  If creationism were taught as well, then we would have to cover beleifs by all religions so Christianity did not get special treatment.  Just because a book written thousands of years ago and is believed to be... (more »)

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:56 am:
(c) Who knows that probably multiuniverses exist? or if life is common throughout the universe? but on comparing the vast size of the cosmos with that of our existence, we might seem to be insignificant. 

Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:40 am:
(c) Secondly. We didn't evolve directly from apes, that's a common misconception. We evovled from a common ancestor of apes. Darwin's theories which took form on his trip to the Galapagos Islands are remarkable. Darwin noted that there were two different types of iguanas who appeared to evovle from the same species. On the other islands, he noted that several different types of iguanas were present with their own innate ability to survive in the respective conditions. Thus Darwin cam... (more »)

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm :
actually Creationism says a whole lot more then that and it has always matched up with the observable world, unlike the theory of evolution which continues to change after each new discovery. Speaking of teaching a hypothesis to a future generation, why is the theory of evolution so widely taught instead of science and history?

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:02 am :
So tell me some reasons why you think Creationisim should be taught in schools. Science is self-correcting, moreover - Evolution is considered a theory because as the definition says, it is well-tested and an evidence-based explanation. We can experiment with Evolution by studying genes, it is also observable in the surroundings - for example, flu shots change every year because the bacteria causing flu changes over time. Good scientific theories are open for correction, changing and improving... (more »)

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:29 am :
I didn't say anything about teaching Creation in public schools - I only mentioned history and science.  Assuming the Biblical account of Creation is true, it would make sense that after God had the Bible written, it would not change because it was true to begin with, right? I mean, if He created the universe and everything in it, He should be able to get His story right. the Bible doesn't need to change. Assuming evolution is true - which is hard because everyone seems to have ... (more »)

Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm :
It is good to have a self-correcting THEORY - unlike Creationism which is hypothesis. If god really made us in his image, aren't we supposed to be perfect? Then why is that even humans have flaws and make mistakes. People support religion but turn back to the pages of history and we can see how many wars and conflicts have risen due to this. And when we talk about god - which god is we to trust? Many religions tell us about many gods - then what is the true word of god? Science is universal,... (more »)

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm :
The Bible isn't a hypothesis. It's a statement which is either true or false. Out of curiosity, how familiar are you with the Bible? The KJV preferably? I'm getting the impression that you only know what you've heard or read second hand. In the biblical account of creation, man was made in God's image, woman was made because he needed a partner just like all the animals had. What separated Adam was his soul/spirit. And at first, humans were perfect. They had no concept of wro... (more »)

Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:19 am:
Your article is not up to the point because the science put in it is limited. To begin with, The Big Bang occurred billions of years ago, before time and space existed, probably in a quantum vaccum which is the ground state energy of the universe. The cosmos did really burst into existence, this may contradict with the first law of thermodynamics that "Something cannot come out of nothing" but from quantum field theory, we know that something DOES  indeed come from nothing: t... (more »)

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm :
in your comment you say that the Big Bang occured billions of years ago(that would be a time) and resulted in the cosmos (made of matter) bursting into existence, but then you contradict yourself by also saying that it occured before time and space existed. How could it occur billions of years ago without occuring in a particular point in time, and if there was no space, where was the matter?   

Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:10 am :
The event occured billions of years ago - YES. The event created time at the moment of the explosion - is what I mean here. Time didn't exist before the Big Bang, therefore there was no time for god to create the universe. The energy and matter that would create the universe was contained in the Big Bang singularity itself and was therefore produced at the moment of the explosion. This doesn't mean that the galaxies and stars were clumped in the singularity, but the Big Bang itslef creat... (more »)

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:15 am :
so in effect, you believe that a catastrophic event created the universe, time, and space and I believe that an intelligent being created the universe, time and space. I don't see how creation is harder to believe.  

Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm :
It was not catastrophic. Our universe is special because is it supposedly flat and it's total energy is 0. Therefore, it suggests to have an origin at some point in time. 'Something cannot come from nothing', BBT breaks this theory but I wonder if it's the same for a grand designer - you talk about a diety who created the world and itself came from nothing. How does that work?  BBT is simple to understand and is more reliable, creationism is made up. 

monochromatic replied...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm :
Could you explain what you mean by a total energy of 0? So the Big Bang was not catastrophic - it's just an unexplained phenomena that created time, space, and matter, resulting in the world we know today.That sounds a lot like what I believe with a couple of exceptions. I don't understand the Big bang at all now actually. I'v heard several variations. What do you believe the Big Bang was? I can't wait to hear yet another definition of this simple to understand occurence. I ... (more »)

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is a very good topic to think about. While other issues are being debated, like "Gay Marriage" and "Reproductive Rights" that may seem to have a gray-no-mans-land- area, this particular topic should have none.  I thought you did an excellant job of responding to the Scienitific Education issue. True, some things you could have worked on to better communicate, but over all it was a good article. thank you for bring this issue up for onversation; these topics must... (more »)