An Athiests point of View | Teen Ink

An Athiests point of View

By ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody."

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

I would just like to hear someone elses point of view.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Ah, the "lost/ confused/ blind" argument returns.

Lost means that you don't know where you are or where you're going. So in those terms, everyone is a bit lost, because we don't truly know everything that is going to happen to us. But we pretty well know where we stand. Just because they don't stand directly with you and your viewpoint does not make them lost. Because honestly, there are lot of atheists who think you are the lost one.

We are wanderers, which is different from being lost. Wanderers usually know where they want to go or have a clear idea of where they are going, they just don't follow the straight path that was originally designed.

VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Yes, I have read the old testament. I read of Him seeing we were all bad, but sparing a small handful to rebuild. I read of Isreal turning their backs on Him as He gave them chance after chance and loved them anyway. I read about how He gave people strength to do the seemingly impossible and no matter how bad we were, He gave us a chance at forgiveness. There were some towns, cities, and people that were killed, but God would never kill someone if He knew they would someday become a righteous person, loving towards Him. God is a righteous judge, a disciplinary Father. He gave so many 2nd chances that not one of us deserved.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Seems like whenever I talk to my religious friends and give smiley faces, they all have the same reaction. They think I'm sneering at them, and they're usually very rude about mentioning it. Either it's because they don't want to believe that we're honestly happy to be loved by people or animals but not a god... 

This is not a situation about agreeing or disagreeing about the author's intention. It is very clear she doesn't want to offend anyone (you know, it's the first think she says).

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Loving? Have you ever read the Old Testament? I read that and he came across as everything except loving.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

We don't believe things only based on sight, you know, there's 5 senses; taste, sight, hearing, feeling, and smell. We feel gravity when we jump of a high object or when we fall. We see wind when it makes things move and feel it on ourselves. We smell apples upstairs when we may be downstairs and so we go upstairs because the scent is recognized by our brain by memory of the smell with the object itself. Can't you give yourself reason to live? Does someone else have to give you that reason for it to matter or make sense? You feel God when you pray because it would be silly to pray to nothing. You feel him when your anxious because your brain knows that in a stressful situation, the thought of a certain person or object or something brings you comfort. That does not give proof that it is real, in the sense of existing, but the thought brings you comfort, and so your brain has to think that that something exists to bring you comfort. It is the same as the thought of some future lover waiting for you that keeps you from being sad about seeing a couple together, or the thought of how great a future job would be that keeps you studying at school. You have evaluated the possibilities and choose the one you are most comfortable with.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

We have a negative association with death because when a person dies, we know what happens to the body. It decays and disappears and then it's not there anymore. But since we love them so much, we think "but they were so wonderful! After everything they did, how can they just go into the ground and not be them?" It unnerves us to think of that scenario, that once life is lived it is over, and that other things continue after we are gone and we will never know them. People are afraid that they might waste their life and then it is over, where there might be no second chance. We want to save the irreversible mystery to the last possible moment, and so we live .

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

In my views it seems fruitless to use life just to save a place for yourself in the afterlife, because then there's no point to living on Earth really, if it's all just a waiting game for heaven. For example, why do we think murder is bad, if all we're really doing is sending them to the afterlife? Wouldn't murder then be a kindness? In a way intelligence is a curse because it allows us the opportunity to think of these things, and for some, from this stems fear of not living forever. No one knows what happens after we die, if a soul does exist and we continue or we are just recycled matter. We don't know, and so we create ideas, because based on observation we can't imagine an end. While we are living we can't imagine that one day our brain will just go quiet and we won't be able to think anymore, that maybe all we are is a body. It is an experience that we can't put a finger on until we're there.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

To answer your other questions, that is just how our reality is. Scientists are debating whether there are other realities, where there are things that could be completely different from ours. We just happen to be in this type of reality. They are all pieces of our nature.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The first two questions are debatable. I would like to point out that evolution and the Big Bang are two different theories, and the people who study each have disagreed with what the other thinks very often. Evolution is the development of life from less complex beings to more complex beings. Evolution still occurs today, but since it is a process that takes time it is not directly visible day by day. The Big Bag theory is how the universe and the plants came to form ie. not biological lifeforms, but rock and plasma and all that stuff that is not necessarily classified as living. A few hundred years ago people would have asked the question "Why do you get sick?" and for them the answer was that demons invaded your body and you needed to be cleansed by some holy person from the church, often resulting in them purposely draining blood from you because that was how they thought the body would heal. They didn't understand the human body, so they made an assumption. That continues today. We often make assumptions that we are most comfortable with so that it requires no energy to try and discover what the real answer may be. If we assume that the Bible is the truth and that in 7 days God created the Earth, it is a simple idea that requires no lengthy explanation, because people are afraid of long and complicated explanations that they can't fully understand. And they think that just because they can't understand it, it must be bad or false. Because many humans feel safer if "God's way" is the answer to everything, and they won't have to look any deeper.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

sleeplessdreamer: So can God do things like create the universe in no amount of time, yet he can't talk to a human being, even though he wants to very badly?... I see errors in that logic. If God does think that way (wow..) then he doesn't seem very educated on the human species, or a lot of creatures in general. As humans (like most animals) we rely on observations (things we see with our own eyes) or the logical observations of others to make decisions that benefit our survival. It's not that people are arrogant and don't want to believe in a god, they just don't want to possibly be wasting an hour or two every Sunday praying to air. And then some can debate that there must be a god because church feels so wonderful to attend, but in all probability it's just the sense of belonging to the crowd that's there in a generally positive atmosphere. Humans feel safe to belong to a group, and there has always been a lot of pressure to belong to that group because they entice you with things like "If you don't accept Jesus, you won't go to heaven", and that scares many people to face that possibility.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I agree. I have an article on atheism, too, if you want to read other articles on atheism. It's called You Can Just Be You: An Atheist's View on Atheism. :) Great job.

Okay, wait a second, you make us sound like helpless children! Being followers of an ultimate, powerful, loving, and TRUE God is the same as being a brave warrior. We fight to save lives and to keep the thing we love more than anything in our hearts.

K878885 said...
K878885, Williamson, Georgia
So are some of the smartest and most intelligent people in the country. What does it matter if it was written by an atheist? Steven Hawking is one of the smartest people in the world and has come up with scientific evidence that there is no God. You're just going to say that he's lying about that or something?

silentpeacock BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
1 article 1 photo 80 comments

all it takes is all youve got

now really? an apostraphe?

silentpeacock BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
1 article 1 photo 80 comments

all it takes is all youve got

from a christian with an athiest friend, i really have no problem with athiests, because our country was founded by religious outcasts so why are we forcing call to recite "one nation under God" every morning

E.George said...
E.George, Phoenix, Arizona

"If you want something done right, do it yourself".

It is equally likely that there is a god as there is not. Food for thought little atheist.

paige14 GOLD said...
paige14 GOLD, Portsmouth, Ohio

Say what you need to say--John Mayer

As an athiest, I agree with this exactly. There is scientific proof that evolution did occur (don't even try to deny it). Just by looking at different species and their genes evolution is prooven.

I wasn't raised with any faith. My parents just let me be throughout my childhood and let me figure it all out for myself. I went to church some with my dad but that never really called to me. I found programs on evolution and human history on TV and thought "wow, this makes sense."

I just don't believe in "God." I see God the same as pretty much everyone nowadays sees the Greek gods: as beings created to explain miracles science hadn't figured out yet and to comfort themselves. To me, that's all religion really is. Something created so people could have comfort.

I, personally, feel I don't need a superhuman being to pat me on the back when I do something morally correct or tell me I need to do better when I mess up and do the wrong this. I know many people who do need this comfort. If that's what they need, all the power to them. I won't try to shove my beliefs down their throat like they tried to shove theirs down mine.

I do see the Santa Claus comparison. Some people need to believe in a higher power the same way children need to believe in Santa Claus. It makes normal, easily explainable events seem like miracles.

on Jul. 30 2011 at 1:49 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

now that I'm back here i just wanna say that I dig the idea of a god with wings. Who says he she it doesn't have wings? ^^

on Jul. 30 2011 at 1:47 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

"It is genetically impossible that a tiny particle in space could have formed all of this- all the planets, all the organs in your body, all the trees, the seasons, the perfect tilt on earth's axis."

A) Evolution is not linked to developing the seasons, and the tilk on the earths axis B) Evolution is a theory of how accidental mutations resulted in a higher probability of a single individual's survival and passing on of their genes to their offspring which would make that offspring more likely to survive. Therefore according to Evolution, Homo sapiens and all other species have been created through accidents C) I now knight you "Sorta Knows What Evolution Is", and you can go on having your own opinion. I just thought I'd clear that bit up.

on Jul. 30 2011 at 1:41 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

I'll read it if you send me a copy via FedEx, and watch The Zeitgeist :)