Stereotyped

By , Oakville, Canada
Recently, I read an article about atheism by Sarah M. Titled "My Religion", I would urge everyone to read it, as it gives an insight into an atheist's mind, one that is not often seen. While I was reading it, I was thinking; 'wait. I barely knew her religion, yet I rejected it. Have people done the same to mine?'

I've moved from Saudi Arabia to Canada. As anyone with a basic knowledge of geography and culture knows, that is about the biggest culture shock a person can get. In Saudi Arabia, modesty was valued. In Canada, modesty is but a word. In Saudi Arabia, I felt at home, among fellow Muslims. No-one questioned me or my principles; they were generally accepted and understood to be true. When I came here, I thought, unreasonably, that it would be the same. I thought that people would have a general, basic knowledge of something that was my whole world. I was so sure of God, and Islam, and all of the ideals that came along with it. I thought that others, too, would be drawn by the light.

I was wrong.

Canada is a very tolerant place. Anyone will tell you that it is a multicultural quilt. The people are polite and respectful. They are wonderfully open-minded. But they, unfortunately, have concluded that as Christianity is not for them, neither is any other religion in the world. Chrisitianity, a religion which they are familiar with, is their base for judging other religions.

I am, of course, generalising here. But not much. It is what I have seen and observed. Undoubtedly, not everyone thinks like this. But the people whom I have met--nice and honest to the core--are blissful in their ignorance. And it kills me, because they don't see what they're missing out on.

Islam is not violent. It is not oppressive or cruel or any other stereotype. It is, quite honestly, what is true. Every time I read the Quran (the holy book), I know that it is true. The most beautiful poetry fills my ears and heart. It's as if some empty part of me is content. This is faith.

But for some, faith is not enough. They need scientific reasoning. They need facts. And, because Christianity does not give them these, they think that Islam does not either. It is perfectly normal. But I would urge anyone who feels this way to read "Allah's Miracles in the Quran" by Harun Yahya. It is one of the most in-depth and enlightening books on the subject. Science, through and through. Order it off Amazon or eBay. It's not that difficult.

Every single time I hang out with my new Canadian friends, there's always a little thorn in my heart, saying, 'What will happen to them after they die?'. It hurts so much to know that someone you care about is misguided. That is why believers of all religions always try to get non-believers to convert--they care. They cannot stand the idea of you or I burning. They want to help. I want to help.

I realise that I am getting a bit desperate here, but if I manage to convince even one person, it will be worth it.

writer-in-pearlsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 1:31 am:
This is an interesting article. I don't know what religion I agree with but would be interested in knowing more:)

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 8:15 am :
Yes it is, Destinee, and your belief is your belief. Wait...did that make sense?

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:44 pm :
Yep! Lol. :)

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:22 am :
Alright. Jolly good then. :)

Jessica3 said...
I liked this article up until the point where the auther began saying (this is just what it appeared to me) that if you do not have religion, or do not believe in God, you will burn in  Hell ...But does anyone really know that? I just thinkk that people (everyone) should stop talking like their opinions are what is true..especially in religious areas.

The author replied...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 3:07 am :
I really don't see how that's an opinion.

kindyxkandy replied...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 10:16 am :
I agree, it really had me interested until it turned into another biased bible(Quran) pushing article.

Saved_By_Grace replied...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm :

@Jessica3,

Whether or not you believe in Heaven or Hell depends on your faith, and since people don't come back from the dead every day to tell us about what the other side is like, no, we don't have physical proof. It's a faith thing, so if you don't believe in Hell, there's really not much to say about it... As well, please note that this article is in the "opinion" section, so people are actually supposed to say what they think.

@kindyxkandy:

I am not a Muslim, but I t... (more »)

kindyxkandy replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 9:32 am :
The Quran is in terms, a bible. It's the Muslim version of a bible. 

Saved_By_Grace replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm :

@kindyxkandy,

The Quran might be the Muslim scriptures, but I don't think the term "Bible" applies. I looked up the definition, and this is what it is defined as: "the collection of sacred writings of the Christian religion, comprising the Old and New Testaments. " So, technically, the Quran isn't a Muslim Bible.

I've heard some people say the Quran is the Bible but with different names, but I just want to make it clear that they are not. If people want to say that the Quran is ... (more »)

Aug. 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm :
kindyxkandy: 

Yeah, I know, if I could rewrite it the ending, I definitely would. :) Thanks for your input! 

Saved_by_Grace:

You're both sort of right. The Qur'an is like the C.hristian Bible in the sense that it's the sacred scripture of Islam. However, the Bible is believed the be the inspired word of God, written through the hands of men, whereas the Qur'an is thought to be the literal Word of God. A better compariso... (more »)

Aug. 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm :
Also, I probably should've mentioned that I don't know if I'm going to Heaven or not, so I'm sort of in the same boat as non-believers there. The difference being, of course, that I'm trying to get to Heaven whereas they're not. :)

eviegirl4000 said...
Thanks! No, I am not  Muslim , but am Christadelphian. :) We beleive that God wrote the Bible through different people (Moses, Joshua, Samuel ect.)

eviegirl4000 said...
I was just wondering . . . who wrote the Quran? :) thanx!

Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm :
Well, if you're a Muslim , the Quran is the word of God, revealed to the Prophet Muhammed. He was illiterate and his companions, along with himself, memorised the Quran thoroughly. Some of the few who were literate (as very few people were literate in Arabia at the time) wrote it down on stones and other objects. Later, after Muhammad's (peace and blessings be upon him) death, they were compiled and, many times, revised through recitations, comparisons, etc. However, if you're n... (more »)

ReflectionsofYou said...
I know what it's like to step out of your "bubble" if you want to call it that. Except I didn't have to leave my country to do it. And I know what it's like to worry about what will happen to your friends when they die. But your piece made me think of some of the similarities between christian and muslim beliefs. That's interesting because I hadn't really thought of that before. Maybe I'll search a little deeper. It's hard to really get to the botto... (more »)

Dec. 3, 2009 at 7:46 pm :
Thanks so much. And yeah, Muslim and Christian beliefs are remarkably similar, although the fundamental idea is different, ie, Muslims believe in one God, Christians believe in a son of God. Actually, if you study Islam, you'll realise that Christianity was once a true religion, that is to say, Jesus was actually a prophet, but the followers distorted it along with the Bible and so made it obsolete and wrong. Anyway, thanks for the comment. Made my day, honest. :)

audeospero/idare2hope/ replied...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:48 am :
actually, christians believe there is one God and Jesus is God, just in another form. :) just wanted to say that from a christian's perspective. I hope I didn't offend you.

Jan. 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm :
No, I'm not offended. I've never gotten the Jesus thing, honestly. It doesn't make sense to me how God can die.

ReflectionsofYou replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 10:52 am :
Haha, I made your day? I've never had anyone tell me that, and just for commenting! Thanks:} And I'll be honest, the Jesus thing is kind of confusing. You have to understand the whole hummanity-diety-in-one-human thing which [in my opinion] gets misinterprited quite alot and it ends up making Jesus sound weak. And he's def. not. But yeah:}

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:15 am :
Personally, I thought that the whole idea of a male, Anglo-Saxon, Pro-American God with a beard ruling the entire universe was silly, but that's just my opinion. Carry on.