The Good, The Bad, and the Godly

As I waited outside building seventeen for my mom to pick me up, I began talking to a girl standing near me, and what started as meaningless chitchat eventually shifted into a political debate.

It turns out the girl is quite religious. We touch on the same tired topics: a woman’s right to choose, gay rights, the war, morals in general. It’s becoming increasingly difficult for me to use my logic with her because every time I attempt to make a point, she starts talking about what “the Bible says.” To these remarks, I have no response. As the conversation progresses from political to spiritual, it transforms into a discussion about my lifestyle.

“Do you go to church?” The girl glares at me as if I am the filth of the earth as she spits these words at me. Which is a little ironic because in asking this question, I believe she is gauging how good of a person I am. And here she is, giving me the evil eye.

I am not an excessively religious person, but I think religion is lovely and I greatly admire those who can put their entire faith into something so insubstantial. What I do not think is lovely is the rather large group of people who, like the girl who was overly concerned with my spiritual life, believe they are good simply because they go to church. Of course, good people do go to church. It is not my intention to say otherwise. However, I have met some truly dreadful people who consider themselves good Christians. Many of them go to services every week, but outside these services, they can be beastly. These “good Christians” aren’t necessarily good people. Some of these “good Christians” call my brother a f***** to his face, just because he doesn’t play sports and listens to weird music. Some of these “good Christians” are rude to me when they find out how liberal I am. These “good Christians” enjoy telling other people their way of life is wrong.

You’ll go to hell if you do that.

Being gay is against the Bible.

If you don’t accept Jesus Christ as your savior, you will be eternally damned.

I know so many people to don’t center their lives around God, and yet they are still good people. Some of them are atheists. Some are gay. Some are Buddhist. Are these people destined to spend an eternity being punished simply because they have not dedicated their lives to the Lord? And do the cruel boys who call my brother a f***** have a one-way ticket to paradise because they have done so? It seems to me that some of these “good Christians” need to start practicing what is preached to them. Not only spreading the word that abortion is wrong and that gays are sinners, but also practicing the kindness and tolerance that Jesus Christ passed on during his time on earth.

If this is God’s logic, that one must believe in him and serve him to gain a spot in heaven, I fear for what awaits so many of the people I love in the afterlife. I like to think that Jesus really does love all the children of the world, regardless of what they believe.

So, although I was tempted to call the girl out on how rude she was being, I politely explained to her my beliefs, my way of thinking. She still had a look of disgust on her face as she walked away. Obviously not a pleasant person, but I’d bet anything she was a “good Christian.”

team_haymitchThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:20 am:
p.s. you dont have to believe in God to get into heaven. you just have to be a loving human being with a respect for life. anyway, He will always believe in you. dont forget that!

Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:18 am:
i myself am catholic and i find myself hating this girl you were talking to. i honestly think that you just met the wrong person at the wrong time. that little jerk is a huge hypocrite, and i beg you to realize this. you cant let her act as a representative for the rest of us christians. she was just mistaken. you should talk to someone else if you really care. maybe even me.

Jakethesnake said...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:53 am:

I used to beleive much of the same things you do after a switch from extreme conservatism to atheism. (Strange, right?) It wasn't until recently I became a moderate Christian. I am not one of the "good Christians." I actually beleive that what they are doing is wrong. While Jesus told us to go out to all the corners of the earth, he did not mean go shove down everyones throaghts. We can proffess by actions, which is exactly what this girl did not do. She judged you and damned you to hell in h... (more »)

SophiaCross said...
Love this! You make a good point...especially on such a touchy subject.

freeflow23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm:
This article was very interesting. But aren't you technically judging her judging of you? We are all human so we all have our issues.Think about it. But I did enjoy the article though.

Chloe_G. replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm :
No, I am not judging her. I am making an observation of my personal experience in the bible belt. Thank you for the challenge and your interest. :)

singingpenguin said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm:

I am a Christian born and raised.  I like your writing.  When I hear about people who go to the Church and try to be good enough and try to fit in, or they feel like they have to.  It's dissapointing.  A Christian who is trying to live like Jesus according to his will, has the characteristics - Gal. 5:22-23 love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23a gentleness and self-control. 

Romans 3:23
for all have<... (more »)

Inspiration said...
Apr. 20, 2011 at 10:41 am:
Thank you so much for this article! You have a very beautiful and considerate way of writing. There are always the people that can write all fruity and prettily, but then we get people like you that can be beautiful with the meaning as well as the words.

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i completely agree with this article! as a catholic, i find it fun to listen to followers of other sections of christianity boast about their "relationship with God," and then whip out my own arsenal of Biblical knowledge to show them how shallow their relationship is. x) i try to be nice about it but hey, duty calls.

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
love this comment! you are SO right!

Pudinii said...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 6:27 am:
Ah, I agree. I'm a Christian, I support gay marriage, and I have respect for anyone who believes differently from me. What you said about "good Christians" is true.

Persona said...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 11:41 am:
It's ironic that she looked at you as if you were the scum of the earth, as she is.

chloe_isabella said...
I really appreciate all the positive feedback. Thanks, everybody! :)

LH2010 said...
As a dedicated Christian, I apologize for the way that girl treated you. I am a Independent, Fundamental Baptist who does everything she can to live for God and take a stand for what is right. I believe every word of the King James Bible but I can't stand it when other Christians judge. The Bible says not to, unless they're doing it in the right spirit and obviously, they don't. The word Christian is used lightly in today's world. It means to live like Christ . Christ ... (more »)

Impractically.Yours said...
Dear Chloe_Isabella,
Please view "The Good, The Bad, and The Godly Part 2" when it is placed online. Which might not be for a while, but please watch for it. That will be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone who agrees with this article should read mine, too.

No_Excuses replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm :
Please click here.

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm :
what? theres is nothing to click!

clairem said...
Ugh! I can totally relate- and I'm Cristian! Some Christians judge me on how much I read the Bible or how much I know about my religion. But honestly, it's not the place of anyone who believes that Jesus loves everyone. I believe that since Jesus loves everyone, no one should take it upon themselves to judge or impress their beliefs, only share them and to be tolerant of others' beliefs.

EricBlair replied...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:37 am :
I agree. Have you noticed that in every religion it is impossible to be fundamentalist/super-conservative without being a complete hypocrite? This is true for every religion and believe me I have studied them.

BellaEzrebetFang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 1, 2009 at 7:40 am:
Ay. I wrote an entire rant moments before, but when it comes to this topic, all in all, I completely agree. Everyone's a hypocrite to some degree, we're human, we can't help it. Still, if the teaching's of Jesus is a Christian believes, then trying to stand by his morals and develop a forgiving nature should be the main goal.