Why The World Can&#39t Live Without God

It’s strange that the topic called God is frowned upon. That the people who believe in Him are scared to speak of Him in public, and to their friends. That we hear about all the people who wish to get the “under God” taken out of the pledge, about news stories that are written about how abortion, murder, suicide, and sexual promiscuity rise even when the belief of God is present. Yet in all reality, Jesus/God is the most well known person in the entire world. It doesn’t matter where you go, when you bring up His name, people’s ears perk up, their hearts open, and they begin to recognize how He is present in their everyday lives.

He’s a fascinating subject and He’s even better once you really get to see why people love Him so much. You begin to see that He’s the person that you’ve always dreamed of becoming. That He’s the person that you’ve always wanted to marry. That He’s the hero the world needs, and that nothing else could have made this world other than God. That the world is so incredibly perfect, that in order to create it in a blink of an eye, would be ridiculous. That if even one little tiny fraction went wrong the entire world wouldn’t have ever come into existence. That miracles happen everyday and aren’t coincidences. One amazing miracle that we all know and possibly see everyday is childbirth. It’s the world’s ordinary miracle. Another example of a miracle is how the principle at Columbine was able to pick one key, out of a hundred and open a door, so he could get himself and two other students out of the building right before the gunman came around the corner. He later tried it many times over again and was never able to successfully do it again. So you tell me, was that a higher being watching over them or just a coincidence?

People often skew the way they look at God. They think that just because they are buddies with Him, that they’ll get everything they want. That if they pray for something, it’ll be there the next day. They believe that God is on their side all the time so they will always win. But they’re wrong. They don’t decide if God is on their side… He does. That’s what scares people the most about him. “I mean how is the world supposed to understand one who rejected the offer of power and control?" (Joan B. Campbell) That’s what humans strive for… power and control. How are we supposed to understand someone who takes the underdogs of the world and makes them into kings, who chooses the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and the weak to shame the strong? How are we supposed to understand someone who we know nothing about? How are we supposed to understand someone who is always consistent, yet unpredictable? You always know where you are with Him, but you very rarely know what He is going to do next. You can never find security in what He is doing, but you can find security in who He is. He’s the one thing in this world that we cannot control, and as humans that drives us crazy, because what we don’t understand, we fear, and what we fear, we try to kill. That’s why people die all over the world for Him. People get persecuted, put to death, put into camps, sent out of the country, and have to hide in fear that their governments with kill them for believing in God. So they meet in secret to worship Him. Now, can you tell me one other thing that scares the entire world that much?

The funny thing is, it doesn’t matter if you believe in Him or not, because even the faithless come to Him when they are down. They pray to Him when they need something. They find him during war so they can be protected, and so they can find comfort in dieing, because they know that they are going to be going to another place… one that’s better then this place here. He’s the one that’s there when people fall into depression. He’s the one that pulls them out of it. They come to him beaten and broken, and He takes them in with open arms and a loving heart. He’s the only person who doesn’t judge us for what we have done, but instead forgives us again and again. He’s the only one who is always around, the only person that you can talk to wherever you are.

The last thing that I find interesting about God is the people who believe in Him and how they act because of it. They think about others before they think of themselves. They give God the credit. They sacrifice themselves so that others may live. They care enough to make your problems their own. They are the random people who change your day. They are there when no one else is. They believe in you when no one else does. No wonder these people get rejected, they promote goodwill in the world. They promote change. They promote a higher calling; they believe that the underdog can win.

So if you think that the world is bad now… just imagine what it would be like without God in it. There would be no hope, and no good. The ones that we all rely on would be killed. The world would fall apart. We wouldn’t have a scapegoat to blame all our problems on. We wouldn’t have a superior being to lean on, to use as support. We wouldn’t have anything to live for. We wouldn’t go anywhere when we died, because there’d be no Heaven and no Hell. When you are lying on your deathbed, wouldn’t you like to know that someone is lying there next to you, holding your hand, saying “Come with me, it’s time to go”.

shrutimallik said...
well the article is pretty nice but i dont agree with the god doing miracles part ,,,,,, i dont think its god doing miracles i just think its people finally doing something good and btw i had a question if people do believe in god so much then why dont they discuss this topic with other people???and btw i am an atheist and i am proud of it!

dancegirl13 replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm :
Darkstar - Your point of view is interesting. I live in a very small, very Christian, and very undiverse town, which can be difficult for unreligious people like myself. I often feel afraid to talk about my beliefs and feelings about religion with my peers because I am the minority, and their beliefs are so strong and sometimes narrow-minded that I would probably become an outcast if they knew how I felt.

shrutimallik replied...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm :

@dancegirl13

i believe you should stand uop for what you believe in. i go to a school where almost EVERYONE believes in god, i do not know any atheist person, but yet i still let everyone know i am an atheist and if you are scared that you wont blend in then well just try to get your ideas to them like why you dont believe in god and your beliefs and if you still dont blend in then its because you are different, in a good way :)

and when people asked me ''why did you stop believ... (more »)

LexiB said...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:03 am:
I loved it! Thank  you for writing such a well written and true article. Will you check out some of my work?

Darkstar6265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 21, 2011 at 12:12 am :
Thanks. And yes I will  make sure to check it out. 

tuasony said...
you are right about people who beleive in god dont want to bring it up. And god does miracles everyday, and we hardly notice him at work. the only part I dont agree on is what you said about the world being perfect. This world has not been perfect since the fall of man. Other than that, good job!

Jan. 21, 2011 at 12:15 am :
The thing that makes the world imperfect is us. But what I meant when I wrote the word perfect is the fact that if one little thing was off the world would have never been. 

Nathaniel said...
May 11, 2010 at 12:23 pm:
The ingredients that men of faith call "God" are already in them. So technically, there is no outside God ruling the universe. That's my little thought/suggestion for the day.

1Corinthians13:4_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:28 pm :
If there is no outside God ruling the universe how did the Earth come into existance? The Big Bang makes no sense at all. A world as amazing and complex couldnt just poof into existance. Did you ever consider God being the very cause of what scienticts call the Big Bang? Nothing else in our world just pops into existance. They were all created by something or someone else.

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 8:03 pm :
Actually, when you get down to a small enough scale, stuff pops out of nothing all the time. There's an entire science devoted to it, quantum physics.

Dec. 18, 2010 at 11:01 am :
truthfully, i don't know much about quantum physics. But im sure they explain that shows how stuff appear and I doesn't make any sense at all to me on how something can out of nothing just appear without any materials creating it or someone creating it. Do you know any websites i can look at to get a better view and understanding quantum physics and where it says thing pop out of nothing? 

Dec. 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm :
Actually, if you have the time there's a few really good books you can read, if you're into the physics stuff. One's called "The Elegant Universe" and it's mostly about string theory but there's a chapter at the beginning devoted to quantum physics, and another one is called "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. They're both really good, and they explain a lot of complicated concepts without getting too confusing.

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm :
Yeesss... Of course those people are both devoted Atheists, and their theories are quite disputed.

Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm :
Actually, the subjects the books cover are proven facts (quantum mechanics, relativity, and string theory don't conflict with theology, so religious people wouldn't have a problem with them anyway), and they're really interesting. I mean, people have used quantum physics to teleport stuff (mostly photons, but it's a start!). Besides, people's beliefs in deities don't make that much of an impact on theoretical physics.

Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm :
I just realized that I started each comment here with the word "Actually" ;P

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 12:56 am :
That doesn't change the fact that the theories in those books are far from mainstream in some cases. I think we can't say for sure that the writing isn't biased.

Jun. 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm :
Around 90% of doctorates awarded in the last few years were awarded to theses exploring string theory. Quantum mechanics was developed over fifty years ago, and is used today in everything from chemistry to computing. If that isn't main stream, I don't know what is.

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm :

Now, all I'm saying is that you can't accept the idea that something pops out of nothing, just because one person says so.

Especially when there is a huge motive for wanting to say something like that, which you have said. It is wanting to beleive in the Big Bang.

Just goes to show that people can believe anything when it supports their preferred conclusion. Even something popping out of nothing.

Jun. 12, 2011 at 7:13 pm :
People didn't create quantum mechanics as a way of explaining the big bang theory. They came up with it to explain the strange phenonmenon observed at the subatomic levels. Basically, as long as the net mass is zero, particles (say, a proton and an antiproton) can pop into existence in a vacuum, but as they anihilate eachother almost immediately after their creation, the net mass would be zero.

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 12:03 am :
Oh! Well that doesn't prove that the rather more stable form of matter that we see today popped out of nothing...

Nathaniel replied...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm :

Ah! What a fantastic string of thoughts my comment has spawned! And it has been--what?--a year? The endurance of the Internet never fails to amaze. It has been in my experience of living on this rock called Earth that views are subject to change; or rather, with education, comes earned enlightenment that helps one endlessly theorize their life away. Perhaps that is the fun of being a self-proclaimed intellectual: to create theories and then ram them head on ... (more »)