Why The World Can&#39t Live Without God | Teen Ink

Why The World Can&#39t Live Without God

August 29, 2009
By Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.


It’s strange that the topic called God is frowned upon. That the people who believe in Him are scared to speak of Him in public, and to their friends. That we hear about all the people who wish to get the “under God” taken out of the pledge, about news stories that are written about how abortion, murder, suicide, and sexual promiscuity rise even when the belief of God is present. Yet in all reality, Jesus/God is the most well known person in the entire world. It doesn’t matter where you go, when you bring up His name, people’s ears perk up, their hearts open, and they begin to recognize how He is present in their everyday lives.

He’s a fascinating subject and He’s even better once you really get to see why people love Him so much. You begin to see that He’s the person that you’ve always dreamed of becoming. That He’s the person that you’ve always wanted to marry. That He’s the hero the world needs, and that nothing else could have made this world other than God. That the world is so incredibly perfect, that in order to create it in a blink of an eye, would be ridiculous. That if even one little tiny fraction went wrong the entire world wouldn’t have ever come into existence. That miracles happen everyday and aren’t coincidences. One amazing miracle that we all know and possibly see everyday is childbirth. It’s the world’s ordinary miracle. Another example of a miracle is how the principle at Columbine was able to pick one key, out of a hundred and open a door, so he could get himself and two other students out of the building right before the gunman came around the corner. He later tried it many times over again and was never able to successfully do it again. So you tell me, was that a higher being watching over them or just a coincidence?

People often skew the way they look at God. They think that just because they are buddies with Him, that they’ll get everything they want. That if they pray for something, it’ll be there the next day. They believe that God is on their side all the time so they will always win. But they’re wrong. They don’t decide if God is on their side… He does. That’s what scares people the most about him. “I mean how is the world supposed to understand one who rejected the offer of power and control?" (Joan B. Campbell) That’s what humans strive for… power and control. How are we supposed to understand someone who takes the underdogs of the world and makes them into kings, who chooses the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and the weak to shame the strong? How are we supposed to understand someone who we know nothing about? How are we supposed to understand someone who is always consistent, yet unpredictable? You always know where you are with Him, but you very rarely know what He is going to do next. You can never find security in what He is doing, but you can find security in who He is. He’s the one thing in this world that we cannot control, and as humans that drives us crazy, because what we don’t understand, we fear, and what we fear, we try to kill. That’s why people die all over the world for Him. People get persecuted, put to death, put into camps, sent out of the country, and have to hide in fear that their governments with kill them for believing in God. So they meet in secret to worship Him. Now, can you tell me one other thing that scares the entire world that much?

The funny thing is, it doesn’t matter if you believe in Him or not, because even the faithless come to Him when they are down. They pray to Him when they need something. They find him during war so they can be protected, and so they can find comfort in dieing, because they know that they are going to be going to another place… one that’s better then this place here. He’s the one that’s there when people fall into depression. He’s the one that pulls them out of it. They come to him beaten and broken, and He takes them in with open arms and a loving heart. He’s the only person who doesn’t judge us for what we have done, but instead forgives us again and again. He’s the only one who is always around, the only person that you can talk to wherever you are.

The last thing that I find interesting about God is the people who believe in Him and how they act because of it. They think about others before they think of themselves. They give God the credit. They sacrifice themselves so that others may live. They care enough to make your problems their own. They are the random people who change your day. They are there when no one else is. They believe in you when no one else does. No wonder these people get rejected, they promote goodwill in the world. They promote change. They promote a higher calling; they believe that the underdog can win.

So if you think that the world is bad now… just imagine what it would be like without God in it. There would be no hope, and no good. The ones that we all rely on would be killed. The world would fall apart. We wouldn’t have a scapegoat to blame all our problems on. We wouldn’t have a superior being to lean on, to use as support. We wouldn’t have anything to live for. We wouldn’t go anywhere when we died, because there’d be no Heaven and no Hell. When you are lying on your deathbed, wouldn’t you like to know that someone is lying there next to you, holding your hand, saying “Come with me, it’s time to go”.

The author's comments:
This was written for my Expository Writing class. It was intended to be biased, because that was part of the assignment.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 75 comments.


on Dec. 26 2011 at 5:21 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

jbutterfly10: Sorry, I should rephrase that, as you may be of a different religion than Christianity, my mistake. Why do you follow your religion?

on Dec. 26 2011 at 5:20 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

jbutterfly10: Why are you a Christian?

on Dec. 26 2011 at 5:16 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

"How are we supposed to understand someone who we know nothing about?" People, even people who may be non-religious, pray to A god sometimes when they are in bad situations, because they think that if they can't fix it, and if there is even the slightest chance that there is a god, they will pray to him/her/it and see if it works. As human beings we do everything within our power to survive, and if that means praying to something that may not be there, we try it. As an agnostic, I don't like placing everything I have into something I can't see. Before I pray (or if I pray at all), I try to fix the situation myself. For me, I really don't think that something so powerful would really care about the tiny problems that I have. I deal with it myself, and I help others, but I don't leave it up to something that may not be there. Because if there isn't, then all I did was have an excuse for not acting. I also don't like the idea of everything being planned out for me, that I am just part of a plan. To me that is just something to get you to sleep at night thinking that everything is taken care of. Because if that is so, than there really isn't any need for anyone to do anything, as they could all claim "it was part of His plan". The idea of someone watching over us, who was responsible for our beginning but does not control us is much more appealing, because then I can rejoice in my successes as my own, others' successes as their own, my faults as my own, and their faults as their own. From the other perspective, to me it just seems like we are all puppets, and this god tells us nothing yet expects our ultimate devotion. Kind of like how corrupt governments play out. In life you have to know the difference between fact and belief, because often there is a very large gap between the two, and other times not. Facts should be believed, but beliefs are not always fact. Because anyone with a religion could be right.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Oct. 5 2011 at 8:11 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

This article is interesting, but there is a problem -- when you say "even the faithless come to Him when they are down." Actually, Atheists such as myself do not come to "God" when we are down, because we are capable of solving our own problems. Just need to point out that if anyone prays to God they clearly have faith in him; faithless wouldn't do that.

on Jun. 13 2011 at 1:46 pm
Nathaniel PLATINUM, Huntsville, Missouri
36 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." --William Shakespeare

Ah! What a fantastic string of thoughts my comment has spawned! And it has been--what?--a year? The endurance of the Internet never fails to amaze. It has been in my experience of living on this rock called Earth that views are subject to change; or rather, with education, comes earned enlightenment that helps one endlessly theorize their life away. Perhaps that is the fun of being a self-proclaimed intellectual: to create theories and then ram them head on with other developed theories to create, alas, new ones.

Humanity has always searched for an antidote to ensure temporary sanity. For it would be a high crime if we were "alone." We might actually be forced to act responsible for once and deal with current issues without inserting a "God" factor; afterall, what is a scapegoat but a device for shifting blame? Grant it, 16 years of living is nothing--I know that--but as a human I have learned this: one can never truly know the origins of the universe because mankind is too chaotic, too ignorant of his surroundings. Therefore, our only hope for knowing the universe is this curious thing called a "theory." As the "Big-bang" is a theory, so is the existance of the Judeo-Chrisitian god, let alone any other deity. 

So how does one treat a theory? Is one more relevant than the other? The answer is simple: No! all theories must be be shed equal light! Extremism marks the death of the intellectual; when the cognisance of ones surroundings fades, reason also. I believe that in an effort to understand the world, one cannot limit themselves to a single idea for explainning things, else risk a bland personality and likewise mind. It is behooving to the thinking individual to examine all theories and give them time on the "floor." Even if one belongs to a religion and  believes in a higher power, wouldn't they want to be recognized for having a brain floating in thier skull and therefore at least try to understand other ways of thinking? The same can be said for stubborn men of science who write off religion as an elaborate canon of old-wives tales!

In the spirit of good academic fun and debate deemed profitable to the expansion of the mind, it is my wish to add another theory to the pile. Hopefully, thoughtful conversation will result and not spiteful accusation. It interests me so that is why I write about it. So, without any further foreplay, here it is:

I present for you Platonism. It is more a philiosphy than anything, but the basic idea intrigues me. Of course the namesake  is based on the ancient Greek political thinker, Plato. However, this philisophy does not analyze Platos contributions as a political mind; rather, as a Mystic. Running away from my inevitable digressions, Platonism basically projects an idea that an almighty  "force" unaware of its surroundings created the universe as a consequence of its existance. True, the theory also claims that "gods" formed from the force's power, but it also says that the deities transferred their power to the world of man. In conclusion, I submit that this force-- contemplating itself in a serene fashion-- had no idea it created various galaxies and star systems, and in the very least, us. The force wouldn't care about our measly squabbles.  If this were amusingly the case, why would Man need to engage in a lengthy religious row? (I.e. The situation going on in the Middle East for thousands of years) Our differences seem absurd in this light, don't they?

But this is only a theory like millions of others. I admit that this novel of a comment differs from my last one, yet I felt a need to update this online community of my standpoint since then. It would please me to see thoughts on Platonism and perhaps even "respectable" examinations on my way of thinking.

For those who trudged through my babbling comment: thank you for reading and happy debating! :)


Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 13 2011 at 12:03 am
Oh! Well that doesn't prove that the rather more stable form of matter that we see today popped out of nothing...

on Jun. 12 2011 at 7:13 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

People didn't create quantum mechanics as a way of explaining the big bang theory. They came up with it to explain the strange phenonmenon observed at the subatomic levels. Basically, as long as the net mass is zero, particles (say, a proton and an antiproton) can pop into existence in a vacuum, but as they anihilate eachother almost immediately after their creation, the net mass would be zero.

Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 7:04 pm

Now, all I'm saying is that you can't accept the idea that something pops out of nothing, just because one person says so.

Especially when there is a huge motive for wanting to say something like that, which you have said. It is wanting to beleive in the Big Bang.

Just goes to show that people can believe anything when it supports their preferred conclusion. Even something popping out of nothing.


on Jun. 12 2011 at 3:42 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Around 90% of doctorates awarded in the last few years were awarded to theses exploring string theory. Quantum mechanics was developed over fifty years ago, and is used today in everything from chemistry to computing. If that isn't main stream, I don't know what is.

Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 12:56 am
That doesn't change the fact that the theories in those books are far from mainstream in some cases. I think we can't say for sure that the writing isn't biased.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 11:41 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I just realized that I started each comment here with the word "Actually" ;P

on Jun. 11 2011 at 11:40 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Actually, the subjects the books cover are proven facts (quantum mechanics, relativity, and string theory don't conflict with theology, so religious people wouldn't have a problem with them anyway), and they're really interesting. I mean, people have used quantum physics to teleport stuff (mostly photons, but it's a start!). Besides, people's beliefs in deities don't make that much of an impact on theoretical physics.

Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 11 2011 at 4:20 pm
We are like God because we were created in His image, spiritually. That is where our good aspects come from. However our bad aspects come from the fact that we have rebelled against God and obtained a sinful nature. Without God we can't be fully good.

Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 11 2011 at 4:14 pm
Yeesss... Of course those people are both devoted Atheists, and their theories are quite disputed.

Lilliterra said...
on Jun. 11 2011 at 4:12 pm

You're right, of course. That's what they should do.

About the discussing the topic with other people, isn't that what the author of this article is doing?


on Apr. 28 2011 at 12:38 am
Atomic bombs are one of the most dangerous things is what I meant to say.

on Apr. 28 2011 at 12:36 am

Loved it! You had me from the first sentence. I can't believe there are people who frown upon the belief of God. How can you look at this world and say there isn't a God, that we all just happened by chance.

People will back themselves up by saying religion has killed lots of people. Well so has science. Look at what America did to Japan at the end of WWII when they were forced to nuke them. Atomic bombs were created by science and are one of the most things in our world today.


on Apr. 13 2011 at 9:30 pm
Neon_Gypsy_Blood BRONZE, Idaho Falls, Idaho
3 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do or do not, there is no try.
~Master Yoda~

This... Darkstar6265.... is a great piece of art... Yes indeed it is.... I REALLY LIKED IT!! Do you have any more work that I can read?!?!

MadMouse GOLD said...
on Apr. 6 2011 at 7:19 pm
MadMouse GOLD, Springfield, Missouri
15 articles 11 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
'The only things worth doing on the weekend are completely pointless and wastes of time."

I really love this article... Amazing job!

on Jan. 24 2011 at 9:13 am
Luckylucky GOLD, Hartford, Connecticut
13 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
''be nice to others,everyone is fighting their own battles''
''only people who risk going far,know how far they can go''
''what have you done to make your life better?''

k well dats a good question and if the teacher asks  to raise hands if we believe in X and if i believe in Y then i m DEFINATELY NOT going to raise my hand ... i mean if u believe in something so much then you should atleast have the strenght to not raise your hand in class although everyone else is raising theirs...... because believing in god is not based on what your classmates or other people think but its based on what you believe.....