A Better Place | Teen Ink

A Better Place

By sankey__ BRONZE, Opelika, Alabama
sankey__ BRONZE, Opelika, Alabama

A Better Place 

I believe in life after death. 

There is a special place that everyone goes to after our time on this Earth has come to an end. That’s where I know my sister is. A better place. 

I remember the night my parents told my brother and I we would be expecting a sibling, we were so excited about adding a new member to our family. I was really praying for a little sister, but it didn’t matter whether it was a boy or girl I would be happy with whatever. For the longest time it had just been my dad, my mom, my brother and I, so it would be different yet exciting to see what having another person in the house would be like. I was dying to know the gender. We found out the baby was a girl. I jumped and screamed for joy, I couldn’t believe I was about to have a baby sister. Time went by slowly waiting for her, and I couldn’t be patient anymore. I was ready to meet my little sister. After a long day at school I came home and found out the most unexpected thing. 

When I walked in the door I saw my parents face’s and instantly knew something wasn’t right. I asked what was going on and they told me that at their checkup the doctor couldn’t find a heartbeat. I got really worried.  They said they were going back the next day to see if they missed anything. That night I cried myself to sleep, I could feel my tears fall down my face and fill up my pillow. There was still hope that she was okay, but what if she wasn’t? Fast forward the next day, my parents came back home and said that the doctor couldn’t find a heartbeat once again, and I could feel my heart sinking all throughout my body. This seemed like a bad dream, why us? Why me? The day after she was born my mom came home with gifts from the hospital and one of them stuck out to me the most, it was a butterfly stuffed animal. 

After a few months passed, we were still coming to terms with the situation but we were doing better. One day I was sitting outside in the backyard and a yellow butterfly came and tickled my leg. I thought to myself and asked, Is this my sister? Everywhere I went I saw one, grocery stores, restaurants, even when I went outside to get something from my car it would always make a way to find me. That’s when I realized it was her. I went and told my family about the yellow butterfly I saw everyday, and shockingly they said they would see it as well. Seeing that butterfly gave me closure knowing that my sister was in a better place. It was her way of showing me and my family that she was safe and at peace. Even though the loss of my sister hurt my family, it taught us a very valuable life lesson. We should never take eachother or anything for granted,  because life can happen in a blink of an eye. I never knew something so major could teach me the littlest thing about life. This is why I believe in cherishing the small things, this is why I believe in life after death.  

This piece is in honor of my little sister that did not get to experience this special place we call life!