The Effect of Religion on People | Teen Ink

The Effect of Religion on People

December 6, 2018
By Emir SILVER, Tirana, Other
Emir SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend to all is a friend to none"-Aristotle


Is God real? People still debate about this question today. None of us have seen God, we just have writings from the past that suggest that God is real. It’s all about a matter of faith and the way you were raised when you were a kid.  There are some people who are religious, and some that aren’t. But did you ever think about the difference of being religious and not being religious? Several studies show that religion does have an effect on people. Religious people are happier, healthier, and more likely to help people.

A study by Pew Research Center suggests that being religious make you happier. According to their study, 40% of highly religious U.S. adults describe themselves as “very happy,” compared with 29% of those who are not highly religious”. Also, 74% of highly religious people were happy with their family life while only 67% of not highly religious people were. Highly religious people also gather with their extended families at least monthly more than people who are not highly religious. An article by Boundless Sociology based backs this up: “An analysis of over 200 studies contends that high religiousness predicts a lower risk of depression, a lower risk of drug abuse, fewer suicide attempts”. Overall, several studies confirm that people who are highly religious are happier with their life and are more socially active with their family. However, this is not the only affect religion has on people.

Being highly religious also makes people more likely to help other people. “Roughly two-thirds of highly religious adults (65%) say they have donated money, time or goods to help the poor in the past week, compared with 41% who are less religious”. 45 percent of highly religious people volunteered in community involvement in one week than 28 percent of people who are not highly religious. Boundless Sociology states that highly religious people have lower levels of clinical delinquency.From my personal experience as a religious person, I can say that being religious makes you help others. I believe that God sees everything so I believe that when I do a good deed, God will see it. When I am going to do something bad, I remember that God is watching me so I then mostly decide against doing the bad thing. As well as happiness and helping others, religion affects health as well.

Being highly religious affects health in a positive way. Boundless Sociology states that there is a positive link between being highly religious and lower levels of hypertension. Being highly religious also increases your psychological well being. 51 percent of not highly religious people are very satisfied with their health compared to 54 percent of highly religious people. Highly religious people have a lower chance of a mental illness and have a higher chance of better self-actualization. Highly religious people are healthier in a physical way and in a psychological way.

People have been wondering about this topic for years and lots of surveys have been conducted about it. I, as a religious person, think that being religious makes me help others more. My belief in God also makes me feel more hopeful in hopeless situations as I believe that God is always there, watching me. And all of the surveys agree with me and suggest the same thing: Being highly religious makes people happier, healthier, and more likely to help others.