Deforestation | Teen Ink

Deforestation

Do you like seeing and learning about the rare species of plants and animals located in our rain forests? Do you enjoy breathing and living? Then you should know that deforestation around the world is taking away these precious species and destroying our biggest oxygen supplier. Deforestation should no longer continue.

Along with making paper, deforestation uproots trees and kills them, leaving fewer trees to pump out oxygen for us to live. “Trees also play a critical role in absorbing the greenhouse gases that fuel global warming. Fewer forests means larger amounts of greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere—and increased speed and severity of global warming.” (National Geographic) With more greenhouse gases in our air, the harder it is for us to breath with more carbon dioxide than oxygen. And with the carbon dioxide warming up our planet, this brings me to my next point.

Deforestation ruins habitats for animals and plants alike. Deforestation is warming up our planet, melting the ice for polar bears and penguins. Pretty common animals right? But what about the 70% of animals in the rain forests who can’t live anywhere else but in a place that is being destroyed and bringing them to the edge, close to extinction? “Although tropical forests cover only about 7 percent of the Earth’s dry land, they probably harbor about half of all species on Earth. Many species are so specialized to microhabitats within the forest that they can only be found in small areas.” (NASA - Earth Observatory)

Deforestation is ruining habitats for animals and plants around the world, both common and rare. It’s bringing them close to extinction, making the endangered species list longer, and longer. Deforestation is also destroying our biggest oxygen supplier. We need trees to breathe, to live. Would you give that up for just a couple more sheets of paper? I hope not.