Queens Residents | Teen Ink

Queens Residents

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

Dear Queens Residents,

According to Martin Gansberg, “38 respectable, law-abiding citizens in Queens watched a killer stalked and stab a woman in three separate attacks in Kew Gardens. Everyone watched this lurid event happen through there windows. The lax decision not to call the police is unbelievable.

The residents of Queens, New York should be ashamed of themselves. Twenty-eight-year-old Catherine Genovese was killed three blocks from her domicile. The man stabbed her three times. This gave the residents three chances to call the police, yet no one did. They all saw him look up at them in their windows. The murderer just shrugged and walked away because he knew they weren’t going to do anything. After being stabbed once, Catherine made a rash decision to try and escape. The murderer came back and only stabbed her again. Still no one tried to obviate the situation. Catherine crawled to the side of the building. He found her there and sporadically stabbed her a third time. This time he had killed her. Finally Miss Genovese’s neighbor called the police.

Six days elapsed before the police arrested Winston Mosely. Winston was charged with the homicide of Catherine Genovese. It was 4:25 AM when the ambulance took Miss Genovese away. “Then,” a solemn police detective said, “the people came out.”

I think people meticulously thought about calling the police. Everyone’s excuse is I didn’t want to get involved. If someone would have got involved she may still be alive. All they were thinking about were there lives. The neighbors made a rash conjecture after it has happened. After she is already dead then they call the police. I think people should be more alert and look out for there neighbors. You may not know them well, but it is still common courtesy to help the person in need.