Strides of Determination | Teen Ink

Strides of Determination

By mattdelahunt SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota
mattdelahunt SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota

The dictionary definition of determination is, “the quality of being resolute; firmness of purpose.”("Determination." Dictionary.com Unabridged.) However, that definition doesn't do the word true justice. Determination is more powerful than anything I've ever experienced. It tears down barriers blocking the path to success.

During my eighth grade year of hockey, I knew I had a chance to be moved up to play varsity for my freshman year. I worked hard to prove to the varsity coach that I was ready for the next step. Everything was going well until one moment seemed to ruin all I had worked for. We were playing Willmar. It was the same as every other game until the middle of the second period. I fell over another player on the other team and landed awkwardly on my shoulder, breaking my right clavicle. I thought it was all over, that I lost my chance to move up to the next level. Like the world fell around me blocking me from accomplishing my dream.

I missed almost half the season. All the games and practices that were going to help me improve to reach my dream were gone. I hadn't given up. Even though my dream was farther away than ever, my determination pushed me on. Every practice and every game I pushed myself desperately trying to get back on the coach's radar. Every time I laced up and hit the ice was an opportunity to prove that I still could make it. I could have just given up. That would have been easier. But that thought never crossed my mind.

The season ended. But the work was just getting started for me. I had to keep trying to improve myself. I played in Bemidji with the varsity team once a week. Also I went to the team's dryland sessions with my brother to build speed and strength. I pushed myself trying to prove myself to the varsity players that I could play with them. The varsity coach had noticed everything I did, finally, I had my chance. I was going to play varsity as a freshman!

Practice started and it was everything I expected. The drills were high pace and the practices long. I worked every drill as hard as I could, hoping to make third line varsity. I kept at it and around Christmas time I got moved up. I was thrilled to finally be playing at the varsity level. I could have let my collar bone injury tear me down, but determination did not allow that to happen. Playing varsity hockey has always been my dream, one stupid injury wouldn't stop me. Without that determination, I wouldn't be where I am today.

The year was over and there were two forwards that graduated. I knew that meant those spots would need to be filled the following year. I was determined to take one of those spots on the top line. Beating out all of the upperclassmen wouldn't be easy. I knew this, but I also believed in myself. I did the same things I did the summer prior to improve my game. The next season started and I was on first line!

That was one of the happiest moments of my life! Hearing my name over the intercom as a sophomore starter was surreal. All of the work I had put in was suddenly worth it. All of the times I skipped hanging out with friends to go work on my game, the early morning ice sessions, they all made it possible for me to accomplish my dream. I couldn't believe my coach had started me against the number one team in state who ended up winning back to back state championships.

That was when I truly discovered the power of determination. It doesn't matter what others think or believe. I found out that by believing in myself was all I needed. I could have quit and felt bad for myself when I broke my collar bone. Instead, I strove for higher and greater achievements. Determination was my guide, every stride of the way.