My High School Experience | Teen Ink

My High School Experience

December 18, 2015
By emilywhitaker16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
emilywhitaker16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I don't consider myself to be a teenager who has "lived". My experiences range from being heartbroken by my crush who didn't like me back, my family moving from our childhood home, receiving a D on a test I took because I had worked the night before and didn't have time to properly sleep and or study. I'm the type of teenager where I am pretty boring. I'm completely honest and I've been told I'm loud. And if I had a dollar for every "friend" I've had throughout my school years I'd be a millionaire. I enjoy reading because it's my escape from reality since my reality is boring and full of disappointment. I'm the teenager that loves school but cannot stand the ignorant chimps she crosses paths with on a daily basis in the hallways. The chimps tend to runi my fun learning new things. Therefore I've been counting down to graduation since the first day of my high school experience.

I guess this self-experience story can be about my high school career. So far I haven't accomplished anything worth bragging about. I don't have a car, license, boyfriend, 4.0 GPA, straight A's and I'm not even close to being in shape.

The odd thing about me is that I'm completely and utterly happy with everything I haven't accomplished. I like being average and approachable. I meet extremely intersting people and learn new and exciting things on a daily basis because I choose to be happy being completely and utterly ordinary.

As I type this assignment I realize I drifted from the implied topic but I've twisted the subject to my advantage. I'm expressing what we all in this class experience on a daily basis, high school. We're the ones who walk through the hallways. We're the ones who hear awful things murmured about people behind their backs when people believe they cannot be heard. We're the one who see our friends manipulating us in front of our faces yet cannot simply walk away but endure. We're the ones who deal with the constant battle and those who thrive to change others. And we're the ones who deal with the constant pressures of being the best because everyone decided to put their hope in us yet we're not allowed to be human and make mistakes and have fun. We're the rebels of the world and I enjoy it.

I enjoy my life currently. Life currently offers an entire world of possibilities that I want to pursue. Because when I am lying on my death bed I want to tell of the life I've lived, of the scandals I participated in and created, the people I loved and watched leave. And at this point in my life I'm taking a stand. Not for any cause you hear the chimps screaming about on television. No, I'm taking a stand for myself. 


The author's comments:

My teacher asked us to write a 500 word own experience story. We were supposed to write about a specific memory but I wrote about high school. In high school I grew allot as a person and it wasn't one specific memory that affected that change, it was a multitude of memories upon memories that morphed me into the person I am. Therefore I took the assignment into my own hands and wrote this short story.