First World Problems: Are You Next? | Teen Ink

First World Problems: Are You Next?

By Samirabar4 BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Samirabar4 BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Fellow Americans, a new dilemma has come to surface in our great nation. First World Problems (FWP) are sweeping across developed nations faster than Ebola in West Africa.   According to Urban Dictionary, FWP are problems that only happen to people who reside in first world countries. Wreaking havoc on many Americans, but it seems our youth have faced the brunt of it. Worry that you or someone else you know may be suffering from first world problems continue reading to see if you may have experienced this horror.

TV
We have all became overly attached to our televisions, but like anything we love it has caused many troubles. Allison, a high school freshman and FWP sufferer, has frequently dealt with having no idea what to watch on television or Netflix due to so many options. Can you relate to her or any of the following dilemmas?

1.When you need to change the channel but the remote is on the other side of the room.
2. When you realize you recorded something but watched all the commercials anyway.

Food
It is no secret that  we  Americans have a love affair with food, but how can something so delicious and nutritious be so  frustrating? Many FWP victims can easily identify with having Food First world problems. Shea Thull, a food enthusiast, says she has an extremely difficult time when her coffee or hot chocolate is too hot to drink but she cannot stand to wait for it too cool down. Her pain is shared with many, according to Starbucks , 72% of their consumers have experienced this difficulty. Other food concerned difficulties may include:

1.You ate too much but you still want to eat more.
2. Your fast food is not fast enough *cough cough* Mcdonalds.
3.There is no prepared food to eat so you go hungry.
4. When you bought too much food forcing you to make two trips to the car.
5. When your mom uses the there-are-starving-children-in-Africa excuse to make you finish your food. #thanksstarvingAfricanchildren

Tech
Nothing angers a FWP victim harder than Technology.With its various luxuries, it can be quite unpredictable.
1. No WiFi, so you have no idea what to with your life. #thestruggle
2. Having to read a book because Google did not have what you were searching for.
3.Video has to buffer or having to watch a 30 second video about old spice on YouTube.
4.Your phone is at one percent, but your charger is downstairs.

Jenna, an iPhone 5c owner, is often enraged at Apple store prices. Excited to play a new game, a potato flew around my room by Nico Uribe, she went to the store and found the game was an insane price of $1.99. A similar situation happened to Adaya, a 15 year old student in high school, when she almost purchased Frozen's classic Let it go for a ridiculous amount of $1.29. This just goes to show the terrible cost we pay to be modern.

How many of  american teens have been affected? United Nations of First world Nations projects that 93% of  youth complain of first world problems. What can we do to fix this? Ryan, a First world problem spokesman with a PhD in sarcasm graduating from the University of YouTube, has developed a Kit to cure FWP. It includes a bridge for you to get over, a straw to suck it up, and an open book so you can shut it. If these do not help no need to worry. My First World Problems always fade away when I take time to think of actual starving children in Africa or the people who do not even know what a television looks like. If you are  having a hard time dealing with FWP, it is best to fight it with gratitude and consideration. 

This piece was a great way to show my sarcastic side.It was diffcult to maintain a serious voice due to the fact I was making it up as I went along!I really hope people realize how minuscule our problems are compare to others.