An Argument Against School Uniforms

There is an ongoing discussion in this nation about school uniforms, whether or not they help with behavior problems, and increase test scores. As an eighth grade student at Delta Middle School, I do not want school uniforms. In this paper I will present the argument against wearing school uniforms. I will include, personal opinion and will also site research.

Kade A., a sixth grade student, when asked about school uniforms said, “No, I don’t like them, because they are uncomfortable, and make you feel like you are in your church clothes all the time.” Daycen J., another student said, “I don’t like school uniforms because they take away student’s individuality.”

Dr. Alan Hilfer, senior psychologist in Brooklyn’s Children’s and Adolescent Unit at Maimonides Medical Center states:

"Clothes are a source of expression for children, and as kids get older, they become increasingly resentful of uniforms….By instituting a uniform policy, schools are taking away kids’ individuality--- schools need to decide if that sacrifice is worth making.”

Dr. Hilfer is talking about whether taking away student’s individuality is worth the payoff of decreased behavior problems, and increased test scores. A study done by David L. Brunsma , University of Alabama and Kerry A. Rockquemore of Notre Dame, entitled Effects of Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Abuse, and Academic Achievement, showed that uniforms did not lead to an improvement in these areas. Their conclusion was:

“Student uniform use was not significantly correlated with any of the school commitment variables such as absenteeism, behavior, or substance use (drugs). In addition, students wearing uniforms did not appear to have any significantly different academic preparedness, proschool attitudes, or peer group structures with proschool attitudes than other students.”

One area that might be of concern is the lessening of gang related problems, and fashion wars. A study published in 1995, by Lillian O. Holloman, a clothing and textiles professor at Virginia Polytechic Institute and State University, entitled Violence and Other Antisocial Behaviors in Public Schools: Can Dress Codes Help Solve the Problem? explores the problems the students can get into because of the way they dress. The study says:
“Gang colors and insignias, whether worn intentionally or unintentionally, can get a student jumped or worse. Status clothes, such as team jackets of professional sports teams, leather coats and designer sneakers, have led to thefts, sometimes by knife or at gunpoint.”
This may be true in some areas of the country, such as low-income, inner city areas, but I do not believe this to be true in the Millard County School District. I cannot recall any accounts of violence against students caused by a student’s clothing selection. I believe that before you put into action a school uniform policy based on such fears, you need to take into account the area the school is in, the economic level of the population, the number of people involved in gangs and the amount of gang related activity in the community.

Most of the articles that I have read about whether wearing school uniforms changes behavior and increases test scores, are inconclusive. Most of the time other rules are put into place along with the school uniforms, which may lead to a desired behavior. However, the uniform itself cannot be entirely responsible for the change.

Middle School/ Junior High is a time of maturing, physically, mentally, academically, and emotionally. Schools need to create an environment that encourages students individuality and motivate them to challenge themselves and inspire self confidence. I feel that school uniforms diminish creativity and self expression.

References

School Uniforms: Pros and Cons. Ann Svensen. http://School.familyeduction.com/eductional-philosophy/individually/38676.html

A Mixed Bag of Uniform Research. American associations of School Administrator. http://aasa.org/publicactions/content.cfm?

Scientific School Uniform Research. http:/www.gate.net/rwms/UniformsBrunRock.html/

TheFlyingtaccoMan said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:25 am:
I agree to some degree. We shouldnt have uniforms but i do think we should have a stricter dress code

emma_rogate14 said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:12 am:
I don't like school uniforms, but sometimes people wear inappropriate things, so that's why they even have uniforms. If you don't want them then don't try to break the dress code you already have.

love said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:53 am:
i hate school uniformes they are soo stupid omg i dont even know im on here

poop said...
Dec. 1, 2011 at 8:49 am:
i hate uniforms

aglenn13 said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:48 am:
You're completely right, uniforms to take away our right to express ourselves!

chloe12 said...
why do people chat on this thing plz reply to this comment 

ghhh replied...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm :
to do school work

callie15 said...
And will people please comment on the article! This ain't a chat website...

callie15 said...
I think that the only reason schools have school uniforms is so that the students follow the dress code. At my school, we don't have uniforms, and many of the students are wearing things that are not allowed, like tanks tops and vulger shirts. But great article, I agree that we shouldn't be forced to wear something we don't want to, but there's a reasoning behind it.

dolly10 replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 4:26 am :
U R absolutely right Callie........ I agree with U.......

NessaCakess<3. said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:30 am:
OMG (; You guys are dumb. wtf is a shaneee? lol!

CHUPELO! (; replied...
May 20, 2011 at 9:01 am :
yo..............

maria <3z you said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm:
nuthing jst wirting wbu

chineselol replied...
May 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm :
lol im new to this

CHUPELO (; replied...
May 20, 2011 at 9:03 am :
ME TO!!!! i`m actually at school right now supposed to be working on a four page report about school uniforms, but oh well!

bla bla replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm :
loser i pooped in my pants

shyanee <$; said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm:
heeeey.! mariaa

maria <3z bby gio replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm :
hey shyanee

Shanee <$; replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm :
wuht yuu doinqq

CHUPELO (; replied...
May 20, 2011 at 9:04 am :
Hey Guys! Whats Up???? (;