Why Gun Control Should Be Shot Down | Teen Ink

Why Gun Control Should Be Shot Down

January 26, 2014
By Brandon_Kilson BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Brandon_Kilson BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why Gun Control Ideas Should Be Shot Down

Why does everyone relate guns to words like dangerous, negative, and threatening? People do not give guns a chance from the start. Most people are taught as children that guns are not acceptable. However, most gun owners in the United States do not have bad intentions. The majority of gun owners use them for target shooting, hunting, or for protection. I believe everyone should be able to choose whether or not they own a gun. Its is a right that our founding fathers stated in the Second Amendment. No one should be able to take that away from us.

There are many different views about gun control, but most people have a strong opinion on the topic. Gun control is not only an argument in the United States, but a worldwide argument.. Some countries have already confiscated their citizens guns. Many feel these types of laws are pointless, while those who are pro-gun control feel as though they are a step closer to living in world peace.

Criminals will have access to guns even if gun control laws are passed. If the gun control laws are passed innocent victims will have no way to defend themselves against criminals with guns. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the United States, but still people a gunned down every week. Criminals who have been interviewed on the topic are in favor of it because it make their job easier. Even police, who deal with criminals everyday, believed the gun control laws are flawed. They believe the laws will not affect gun violence in the slightest way. If the government really wants to end gun violence these laws need to be altered.

Gun control will not affect crimes rates drastically. Based on a survey in Connecticut 67% of traced gun crimes have been purchased legally at some point. Criminals either steal guns, buy them off the street, or have someone buy them for them. By getting guns this way you bypass a background check and the police knowing you have a gun. Criminals will always find a way to maneuver around gun laws and not get caught. Gun control will not affect gun violence caused by intelligent criminals.

Strict gun laws will make citizen more eager to rebel. Countries that have gun control now have
more gun violence than before. In Austrailia gun murder has increased 19% and armed robbery rates have increased 69%. Law abiding citizens now live in fear all because of these rebellious people. This is not fair to the citizens. These laws need to be change.



Many people believe gun control is the only thing our country can do to try to stop gun control. These people believe that carrying a gun puts others in danger and that keeping a gun at home doesn’t make you safer. These theories have been proven wrong by basic facts. 500,000 people defend themselves with a gun away from home every year. How can you be putting people in danger by saving yourself and possibly others. A gun is used eighty times more in self-defense than harm. Also citizens shoot twice as many criminals than police do. If you have a gun at home you are much more safer than if you are unarmed. You do not even know how to use the firearm, but even a threat has a good chance of scaring off the invader.

There are many reasons why gun control will not work. The main reason is because citizens will not stand to let their government take away a right that our nation was established on. People are too stubborn to allow it. The government does not see gun control from a criminal's perspective. Gun control make their job too easy which will cause crime rates to increase. If the government wants gun control to make a difference, it need to be re-modeled.


The author's comments:
This was an assignment for English 1 Adv class.