Reality of Drinking and Drivng | Teen Ink

Reality of Drinking and Drivng

We all know the consequences that result from teens and adults drinking and driving, so why does it continue to be more and more of a problem each year? Yes, when you think of this problem you think that teens are only effected by this, but it’s not. Drinking and driving continues to be a problem with age and maybe it’s not just the parents to blame. Maybe we as a community should push for harder drinking and driving laws and consequences.
Statistics prove that one person is killed every half-hour due to drinking and driving. That is a lot every year, about 16,000 people a year. This is a lot to take in especially being in the age group of 17-30, the most common ages of this tragedy. Just knowing that even if you’re not the one driving while drunk, the person passing you could very well be intoxicated. Isn’t that scary?
One question that comes to mind is what are lawmakers doing to help resolve this problem? Maybe lawmakers should hold juveniles more accountable for tickets and DUI’s they receive.
Instead of throwing tickets , DUI’s, and other forms of punishment off the record at 21, why not keep these things on your record so that when you continue to get in trouble for this, the form of punishment will intensify and lead to harsher punishment?
One example of this could be for when an offender has to go to court. We need to better track the alcohol related offenses so the judge can better tailor treatment and punishment based on prior history.
If this opened your eyes to the reality of this problem, write a letter to your senator about your concern and band together to make a difference!
This isn’t about attacking people who committee this offense, it’s about protecting your friends, family, and community from being an innocent victim of this problem.