The Silent Killer | Teen Ink

The Silent Killer

By Brittany Gentry BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Brittany Gentry BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder that has affected many children, teenagers, and adults all over the world. According to the website of Womansgov, children make up 10% of the population of this eating disorder. Children as young as five years old can be diagnosed with anorexia. The majority of people that get diagnosed with anorexia are women, but some men can be diagnosed too. These are some interesting facts someone should know about this: what Anorexia Nervosa is, some interesting facts about it, and treatment-getting rid of Anorexia,
Anorexia is potentially a dangerous eating disorder that is someone let it slip out of control and they stopped taking care of themselves, it could kill them. According to the website of Womansgov, it affects a lot of glands a person’s body has such as, the brain, and nerves to where a person can’t think right, hair will eventually thin out and get brittle, the heart where someone could end up with low blood pressure, heart failure, and even a slow heart rate, Some other glands that could be affected is anemia/others may thin the blood in the body, the kidneys could fail or someone could end up with kidney stones and someone’s skin could bruise more easily.
According to the website of Womansgov, there are also many symptoms that are related to anorexia such as depression, anxiety, obsessive behavior, substance abuse, issues with the heart and brain, a lot of problems with physical development. According to the website of Teenhelp, due to anorexia there is a big list of things a person could do to make themselves thinner. Such as throwing up, taking diet pills, stop eating/starving themselves, and even weighing and counting calories, Things a person could do to harm themselves with this eating disorder could eventually kill themselves if they don’t get help.
There are many things that may play a part in someone getting anorexia like, culture how people want to fit in with others and not be different; family where a child may follow in parent’s footsteps and want to be just like them, and life changes for example starting a new job and other stressful things that would play a part in someone becoming anorexic.
According to the website of Womansgov, Children, teenagers and Adults are all affected with anorexia, but all at different rates. Children as young as five years old are getting diagnosed, even 8-11 year olds are being diagnosed more frequently. Teensagers make up 1% of the population with anorexia there are 10% boys, and 5-20% of teens may die from this if it doesn't get treated. There are adults as old as sixty that are being diagnosed with this disorder. The website of Womansgov states when mothers are pregnant and they have anorexia they have a high risk to hurt or kill the baby. If the mother is lucky enough to go into labor it will most likely be earlier than her due date. The baby will most likely have low-birth rate, After the mother gives birth she could develop depression. These are many more interesting facts about Anorexia but there is some that should get out there.
The website of Teenhelp states, there is also treatment someone could do to get rid of Anorexia and make their body healthier. They could go into their physician and they could help the patient back to their normal weight, and they could also help the patient treat any of these psychological issues related to anorexia, also could help them get rid of any actions or thoughts due to it.
There are also different types of treatments a patient can do such as outpatient that is where you go to the doctor office and get help, those patients live at home. Another is partial hospitalization that is where the patient goes to the hospital during the day to get treatment and then goes home to sleep at night, There is also something called inpatient treatment, which is where the patient stays at the hospital day and night to do treatment. There is some good treatment ideas someone should do to try and get rid of Anorexia.
So this article explained what Anorexia is, facts about Anorexia, and treatment-ways to get rid of Anorexia. The eating disorder could do a lot of damage to someone’s body and potentially hurt them for the rest of their lives. This a preventable disorder so prevent yourself from getting it! Do you really want to ruin your life?