should art and music classes be mandatory? | Teen Ink

should art and music classes be mandatory?

December 14, 2012
By allyono17 BRONZE, Saline, Michigan
allyono17 BRONZE, Saline, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

While some high schools offer art and music classes to their students, these courses are not always mandatory. Some teachers, students and parents think schools should make art and music mandatory. They think it will teach the students the same skills as if a math or science class would. High schools should not make art or music classes mandatory for high school students.


First, art and music classes don’t seem to be used on an everyday basis. There is no point in learning and spending time on a class that won’t be needed in your future. Jobs that deal with music and art are very low at this time. If your going to take a class, make sure it will be useful and help you out in your future.


Even though high schools are trying to make art and music classes mandatory, most students just are not that interested in those classes. If students are not interested in class they must take, it wont turn out well. The students won’t be trying as hard as they should. Also, they will probably end up failing the class and not get enough credits as needed to pass. If students are taking classes they’re not interested in, they might feel like they’re wasting their time and should be focusing on a different class.


Additionally, high schools should not make these classes mandatory, they should make them extra curricular. These electives should be treated more like a club and be going on after school. If schools make these classes after school, students will be more interested and less distracted. They will be able to focus on doing something they enjoy and take a break from school work. Also, students have more free time and need something to do after school.


In conclusion, high school students should be able to choose what electives they want to do during school. High schools making art and music classes mandatory would not be a good thing. It will make it harder to find work if students mainly study art and music. Students also won’t be as interested if they’re not willing to do the class. Art and music class should be treated like a club and should be choosen to be taken during school or after school. In the end, students being able to choose their electives, it will make it more interesting for the students.