Where is the truth? | Teen Ink

Where is the truth?

May 4, 2010
By eanderson103 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
eanderson103 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”

What would the world be like if we were all forced to say what we really think? It would simplify everything. No more guessing on what someone really is thinking, you would just know. What is so bad about being straight up about something anyways?

Those fake smiles- the obvious lies- Come on now, we are not stupid. If you came to school one day and smelled like something that is rotting, wouldn’t you want someone to tell you? Or what if your boyfriend or girlfriend was cheating on you? What about then? That girl didn’t actually think your hair looked good today, even though she just told she did… but she would never admit that. I have noticed lately that those slight tweaks of the truth, those little white lies, and those small twists of reality, that either my friends or I say can ultimately lead to unnecessary emotional pain or hurt feelings. And the emotional pain and hurt feelings that are brought are much worse then what the original truth would have caused.

Most people think that falseness is acceptable to spare someone’s feelings. Whether it is lying to “protect” or lying to look better in the face of others, everyone has done it. The average person tells four lies every day, or 1,460 every year for a total of 88,000 by the time your 60. Even 60% of people would lie in a ten minute conversation. Think of the stress those lies have caused.

Lies are everywhere, whether it is for a good cause like keeping a surprise party a secret, or for a selfish cause like pretending to be someone’s friend when honestly you despise them. Sometimes we don’t even realize when we do it. Being untruthful could just be a way of self preservation… a way for everyone to look good in the eyes of everyone else. Manipulating the truth has become a natural instinct for individuals in the world. I am sure it started that first time you told you Mom or Dad that you didn’t eat that cake, although it is all over your face. Did our parents teach us how to lie? Or was it just in our genes?

The point is, that in the end everyone should just not be false, no excuses. It would eliminate so much drama because everyone would know, for sure, how everyone feels. Period. Everyone deserves the truth even if it hurts, and keeping it from them is not fair.