Human Euthanization Should Be Legal

It took only three bottles and six minutes for Jack Kevorkian to painlessly end Jane’s life. She was just one of thousands of people in the United States wishing for an end to a painful, terminal disease, and Jack provided the way out.... through Euthanization. Euthanizing people has been one of the most debated topics in all of the United States. Some politicians consider human euthanization to be murder; others consider it an end to suffering, or a death with dignity. I believe Euthanization should be legalized in America, provided that there are strict guidelines and procedures.

Euthanization is one of the few painless ways for a suffering person to leave the living. Like Tenzin Gyatso says, “In the event a person is definitely going to die, and is either in great pain or has virtually become a vegetable, prolonging their life would be cruel.” At the Hemlock Society they get dozens of calls daily from desperate people looking for someone to end their lives that have lost any quality. Although many think that euthanizing people will start down a slippery slope to allowing murder, I think strict guidelines could prevent this. Through clear policies and procedures I think America could create a method to allow doctors to assist suffering humans out of this world.

In America everyone should have the right to control what happens to their body, so this should include euthanization. Euthanasia should be the right of a competent, terminally ill person to avoid excruciating pain and embrace a timely, dignified death. Like Jack Kevorkian says, “Everyone has a right for suicide, because a person has a right to determine what will or will not be done to his body.” Already in the Netherlands euthanasia has been legalized, so long as the Dutch physicians follow strict procedures. In order to be qualified for euthanasia the person must repeatedly ask to die, they must be enduring unbearable suffering, they must have tried all alternative treatments, they must understand all the information related to the procedure, and they must have multiple doctors agree to the procedure. This seems like an effective way to do it. Therefore I think the American Supreme Court should allow euthanasia, since it should be the right of an American citizen to control what happens to their body.

The very definition of euthanasia suggests a painless death. In Greek “eus” means good and “thanatos” means death. If a person is in a vegetative or suffering state, they should be able to choose euthanasia as a last resort, and not have to continue to suffer. Doctors should not be charged for agreeing to such a procedure. Kevorkian said, “I believe there are many people who are healthy and mentally competent to decide on suicide, people who are not depressed.” United States should now create a legal way to end such pain, and not force terminally ill people to suffer.

Using strict guidelines and procedures I believe that euthanasia should be allowed in the United States. Not only is it a kind way to end suffering, but it is also a right for Americans to choose what happens to their bodies. To require dying patients to endure unrelievable suffering regardless of their wishes is callous and unseemly. Would you require someone to die a slow and painful death against their wishes? I hope not, because through euthanasia you could avoid this and give someone the gift of a death with dignity.

Worthy offline said...
I totally disagree with taking a life. I believe that if God gives life no one has the right to take life away no matter the circumstances. I am a cancer patient and I suffer and see suffering everyday. I've worked with developmentally delayed children and they are a blessing! All life is valuable because it is a gift from God.

NO RELIGION replied...
Feb. 24 at 1:39 pm :
of course you would disagree with this, you believe in god and all that "god made life,life is valuable" shit. It doesnt matter,  Unless you've seen god and got proof you can't bring religion into this topic

Chunky Monkey said...
Kids are property of the parents just so you know that.  I am 100 5 in favor fo human euthanizaion.  Why should I or anyone else have to suffer many years with chronic pain.  Why shouln't I and all others suffering be allowed to die with dignaty, and then have our organs given to thise that need them and want to live.  With my death, my heart, my lungs, my liver, what ever could be used to help those that are in need of organ transplants.  My pain will end, and my ... (more »)

MrTeddyBear said...
Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:53 am:
Fourth paragraph, second sentence: "If a person is in a vegetative or suffering state, they should be able to choose euthanasia as a last resort..." Gee, if a person is a "vegetable", I'm pretty darn sure that they won't be able to make any decisions, much less communicate them.

IAmAwesome replied...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:49 pm :
but their family can choose what they think is best for them

Just me said...
I agree to human euthanization but I say not only for the sick but also for those who do not just in general want to live, you could say I am pro choice to life in general. This would help over population in general and cut back on health care cost for those individuals who try to kill themselves who we keep alive and then stuff them full of medication to prevent them from trying again. What's wrong with that picture, and why do we say they are crazy for not wanting to live when we as a human r... (more »)

SingingismylifeSYV said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm:
What a great structured article! I agree with Euthanization simply because I don't think suffering should have to be part of life. I'm not saying to go and euthanize everybody that has problems, but, for example: What if your Grandfather of 81 years-old was to get in a car crash and was put into what my family calls "Vegetable state" Would you want them to remain helpless and miserable until their body crashes? I don't think that's fair. At that point the victim DOESN'T have the choice! What the... (more »)

RobertC said...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
euthanization is an extremely "fragile" topic to write about, and I commend you for being brave enough too. I currently do not believe in euthanization. if you have someone help you take your life, you might call them a "saint" or "angel" before you do. I do believe people have the right to stop suffering, but you are putting that being in risk of spending a fair amount of time in prison. There is no assisted suicide or emunization law that keeps people out of trouble from helping someone take p... (more »)

RumMonkey said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 8:43 am:
It's easy to say "euthanisation is terrible" if you're not the one dying slowly every day. I cmpletely agree with this article. You wrote perfectly.

RumMonkey replied...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 11:39 am :
*completely

HannahDanny said...

I have recently been assigned to do a speech over human euthanization and this is what i have to say about it:

I feel as if we can decide whether human euthanization is a pro whenever or if we ever get into a situation where we are in a life or death situation. i am not either for or against Human Euthanization. IIt is not my place to choose or to judge people who are for or against it but i feel as when we become older and we have a terminal illness, we will finally kno whats its like... (more »)

shi fuu said...
your article is the bee's knees:)

swcricket98 said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:05 am:

I didn't read the entire article; probably the first half. But from what I read, I do believe that euthanasia by death should be CONSIDERED as an end to suffering.

Any animal is allowed to be euthanized if they are fatally injured and/or are suffering.

Why isn't it the same with people? If you are hit by a car and are in so much suffering, and there is nothing you can do, why make them wait a few hours as they die painfully rather than put them out of their misery?

Of cou... (more »)

iKnowEverything replied...
Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:14 am :
Euthanasia is allowable for pets because they are defined as 'property' via the AWA 1966. Humans are not property.

rememberme said...
i agree 100%

halninek said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:23 am:

Great article. To have a law in place intended to prevent a person from carrying out his or her own wishes in terms of suicide is maddening. What about people who are just sick of life? I'd just drink some antifreeze and inject an insane amount of heroin and be done with it.

I feel bad about people who physically or mentally can't make the choice for themselves, and then ontop of that there are laws that prevent them from ending their own suffering. What's the point of these laws? So m... (more »)

don't judge said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm:
ok very good essay... but for anyone on here that says we should not do this is Stupid. first off it's not ur dicssion on who lives or dies... thats is for the person who is suffering to decide NOT YOU!

Christy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yes, Brayden, you've mentioned many of the key points that keep euthanization from being legalized. It does seem wrong- but if someone is in terrible pain that cannot be cured, it would actually be kind to put them out of their misery.

dawn replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 9:55 pm :
My best friend chose to be euthanzied in March 2010.  She had struggled her entire life, ups and downs.  The outcome was she was tired of the bad luck in life and the way life treated her.  She had a past of suicide attempts, they failed as she was found by each attempt.  She did not wish to live anymore and chose to have a death with dignity, no pain, and not being alone.  She was physically in perfect health, but mentally she was done.  She had... (more »)

BraydenHirsch said...
Please.  This is completely ridiculous, no offense.  You're a fairly good writer and all, but to say that a person has the right to kill himself is completely wrong.  I write about mercy a lot, about compassion and such, and to say that euthanasia will save people pain when they are dying, then yes, it seems fine.  But that opens the doors to countless problems - who's to say that a person can't kill themself, whenever they please?  It's unethical.  Besides, endurin... (more »)