Human Euthanization Should Be Legal | Teen Ink

Human Euthanization Should Be Legal

By Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota

"Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel."

It took only three bottles and six minutes for Jack Kevorkian to painlessly end Jane’s life. She was just one of thousands of people in the United States wishing for an end to a painful, terminal disease, and Jack provided the way out.... through Euthanization. Euthanizing people has been one of the most debated topics in all of the United States. Some politicians consider human euthanization to be murder; others consider it an end to suffering, or a death with dignity. I believe Euthanization should be legalized in America, provided that there are strict guidelines and procedures.

Euthanization is one of the few painless ways for a suffering person to leave the living. Like Tenzin Gyatso says, “In the event a person is definitely going to die, and is either in great pain or has virtually become a vegetable, prolonging their life would be cruel.” At the Hemlock Society they get dozens of calls daily from desperate people looking for someone to end their lives that have lost any quality. Although many think that euthanizing people will start down a slippery slope to allowing murder, I think strict guidelines could prevent this. Through clear policies and procedures I think America could create a method to allow doctors to assist suffering humans out of this world.

In America everyone should have the right to control what happens to their body, so this should include euthanization. Euthanasia should be the right of a competent, terminally ill person to avoid excruciating pain and embrace a timely, dignified death. Like Jack Kevorkian says, “Everyone has a right for suicide, because a person has a right to determine what will or will not be done to his body.” Already in the Netherlands euthanasia has been legalized, so long as the Dutch physicians follow strict procedures. In order to be qualified for euthanasia the person must repeatedly ask to die, they must be enduring unbearable suffering, they must have tried all alternative treatments, they must understand all the information related to the procedure, and they must have multiple doctors agree to the procedure. This seems like an effective way to do it. Therefore I think the American Supreme Court should allow euthanasia, since it should be the right of an American citizen to control what happens to their body.

The very definition of euthanasia suggests a painless death. In Greek “eus” means good and “thanatos” means death. If a person is in a vegetative or suffering state, they should be able to choose euthanasia as a last resort, and not have to continue to suffer. Doctors should not be charged for agreeing to such a procedure. Kevorkian said, “I believe there are many people who are healthy and mentally competent to decide on suicide, people who are not depressed.” United States should now create a legal way to end such pain, and not force terminally ill people to suffer.

Using strict guidelines and procedures I believe that euthanasia should be allowed in the United States. Not only is it a kind way to end suffering, but it is also a right for Americans to choose what happens to their bodies. To require dying patients to endure unrelievable suffering regardless of their wishes is callous and unseemly. Would you require someone to die a slow and painful death against their wishes? I hope not, because through euthanasia you could avoid this and give someone the gift of a death with dignity.

don't judge said...
ok very good essay... but for anyone on here that says we should not do this is Stupid. first off it's not ur dicssion on who lives or dies... thats is for the person who is suffering to decide NOT YOU!

ok u would change ur mind if it was u who was in so much pain that u could not take it anymore! if there is no cure then let them die its there wish why tell someone they cant do something.  like i said if it was u ur oppion would change

dawn said...
My best friend chose to be euthanzied in March 2010.  She had struggled her entire life, ups and downs.  The outcome was she was tired of the bad luck in life and the way life treated her.  She had a past of suicide attempts, they failed as she was found by each attempt.  She did not wish to live anymore and chose to have a death with dignity, no pain, and not being alone.  She was physically in perfect health, but mentally she was done.  She had the approval of three psychologists that followed her for months and guided and helped her to her death. Her day to die was set on March 27, she died because she wanted to die, and she did not die alone, nor with any agression or pain.  This happened in Belgium, so the laws are different then the US, but still, each case has to be seen on its own, and the human being needs to be respected.  Even though I totally disagree with this proces I do understand.  If she would not have received the help to die she would have tried it in another way, a way that would have been more painful to her for sure. She also chose to be euthanized as that gave her the absolute certainty she would be dead and not found once again.  I miss her still and will always, I will always think what if ... but I need to respect her wish and believe this is what she wanted, that she was tired.  People who wish to die get counseling, are told to talk about the "why", they will hear to try to change their mind ... and that proces goes on for months until the day has come to leave this world.  Until the second the injection, or the oral liquid is given they can change their mind.  But it is them that either inject themselves, that first step is theirs to take and make, as else it could be looked upon as not willingly choosing to die, once they are unconsious the doctor will finish by giving the last injection that will stop the breathing and relax all muscles in the body, goal of this last injection is to stop the biggest muscle of all, the heart.  Then the declaration of death follows and it is written down as a natural cause of death and it is legally in order.  Very hard for me even to accept in the beginning, but again, you need to respect the person who wants this to happen as it is not an easy decision to make for sure.

Yes, Brayden, you've mentioned many of the key points that keep euthanization from being legalized. It does seem wrong- but if someone is in terrible pain that cannot be cured, it would actually be kind to put them out of their misery.

BraydenHirsch BRONZE, Abbotsford, Other
Please.  This is completely ridiculous, no offense.  You're a fairly good writer and all, but to say that a person has the right to kill himself is completely wrong.  I write about mercy a lot, about compassion and such, and to say that euthanasia will save people pain when they are dying, then yes, it seems fine.  But that opens the doors to countless problems - who's to say that a person can't kill themself, whenever they please?  It's unethical.  Besides, enduring pain is what makes us human.  Think of all the great stories about people who've been thought to be hopeless, who were bound to die thanks to some hopeless medical condition.  They endured the pain, they lived on.  And they changed lives.  But to say that they should just give up, and die...it just seems wrong.

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

I definitely agree

Sylvia BRONZE said...
Sylvia BRONZE, London, Other

"Love thy neighbour"

I hope you're aware that your post means nothing unless you can actually back it up with evidence. E.g just because I say football=stupid doesn't automatically make it true.

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Very well written, so I'm going to give you 5 stars for it, even though I disagree completely. Death is death. 

SVN0811 said...
on Sep. 12 2010 at 10:56 am
It is not doctors killing their patients, it's doctors trying to fullfill their patients wishes. Who are we to say when a person should die or if a person should live without a quality of life. Dr. Kavorkian is a very intellegent man and he fills the meaning of a doctor. He has it clear in his mind that a person should not suffer until death. About euthanasia on a person in vegetable state is very questionable just for the fact that they are not able to give consent, but then again they have no quaity of life and in a situation like that their spouse or parents should be the ones to decide whether or not its their time to go. Just put yourself in a situation like that. Imagine you are in great pain sunrise to sunset, not a ble to sit comfortably or stand comfortably. You have to drug yourself everyday just to continue breathing.You do not smile anymore, and in your mind you will be better resting. I know i would prefer to rest in peace than to live a misserable life. Us who are for eutanisation obviously understand that if it were to get legalized obviously there would need to be guidelines to follow just like any medical procedure. I just know that Dr. Kavorkian is a genious and the only mistake he did is not practice his medical scope in Oregon or Washington. :)

on Jul. 30 2010 at 11:38 am

Diddo.....

lawyer said...
on Jul. 30 2010 at 9:59 am
i tink euthanization shud b legal but as it has been said above wid strict guidelines. i wud say wen a person has d ryt 2 live y nt d ryt to die. bcuz bt obvios we dnt kno wat d patient is goin thru u can tell it onli if ur d victim uc.....

SwagKing24 said...
on Jun. 10 2010 at 12:06 am
SwagKing24, Beast Land, South Carolina
Why would anybody legalize this. I wouldn't because i am smart. You understand the words that are coming out of my brain.

Gun-Lover said...
Gun-Lover, Eathgdgh, California

A gun is a gun weather pistol, rifle, or other automatic or semi a gun is a gun

WIERD!!!!!

ZombieL said...
I agree with you. I don't believe in capital punishment, but I agree that if someone is suffering then they deserve the mercy of a painless death if that is their wish. Just as we have the right to live, we should have the right to die.

mike 222 said...
hmmm... good article

horsegirl said...
What is this world coming to? Doctors killing their patients?

C.C. said...
Very controversial, and a great hook at the beginning. I never agreed with Jack Kevorkian, but I see both sides of the argument.

I can see this is making for quite a discussion

MARK said...
Euthanization vs. Assisted suicide. Whats the difference?

C.E. said...
Loved the article but not sure which side I agree with.