Is There Room for Family? | Teen Ink

Is There Room for Family?

By sarahjeanorsini GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
sarahjeanorsini GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Three and a half minutes . . . the number of minutes per week parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children. This low time dedication towards children is fruitless in properly raising them. In fact, 1,680 minutes is the average amount of time a child watches television, possibly watching one of the two hundred thousand violent acts he or she will see by eighteen. This poignant use of the television entertaining the children is disheartening. Instead of developing a sanguine relationship with their offspring, parents choose to sit back and let a television set garble children’s thought processes and personality.

The facts between health and television inundate the individuals who are comprehensive in the matters. Letting a child sit in front of a television for hours will not help him or her exercise. William H. Deitz corroborates these truths: “The easiest way to reduce inactivity is to turn off the TV set. Almost anything else uses more energy than watching TV.” Parents need to become more strict on television privileges, and interrupt one of the 20,000 30-second commercials being viewed by the phlegmatic youngster. Children aren’t the only ones who need to step away from the screen, but also adults – since one-third are also suffering from extra weight. The TV is linked to every viewer’s lethargic mood and inactivity level.

Forty-nine percent of Americans say they watch too much TV. Zealous individuals ready to help themselves and others can be used to change the data. These individuals also guide the future Americans into who they become, and what their activity level may be.