If It's a Sin: Then I Have Sinned | Teen Ink

If It's a Sin: Then I Have Sinned

There are many people out there in the world, but let's start with the minority. This minority consists of people we may know, people we may hang out with, people we may call our friends, or laugh with, or love. These people are different, and yet, they are the exact same as everyone of you. They have parents, beliefs, 10 fingers and toes, and great, big hearts. These hearts are filled with love, the same love everyone of you has for your family, friends, and pets. Only, their love also glows more warmly for their same gender. Yes, I mean gay people.
Acceptance does not always come with being gay, yet gay people are still apart of our community. Though that does not affect each and everyone of us individually, it affects how our children and their children will grow up. Will they grow up in a place where being different is a sin? Or will they learn to love themselves for who they are and not care what others think of them?
(I'd like to think that) adults have had their chance to change the world, to put their hand print on its heart, but that's not always true. There are people out there who missed their chance because of society. Because they were worrying about how others might react, if they'd still be loved, or if they'd be accepted for who they are. Bruce Bawer once said, 'Straight Americans need... an education of the heart and soul. They must understand - to begin with - how it can feel to spend years denying your own deepest truths, to sit silently through classes, meals, and church services while people you love toss off remarks that brutalize your soul.' People shouldn't have to go through that. Anyone, whether thin, fat, small, tall, man, woman, gay or straight, should not have to spend their life, or any time what-so-ever, denying themselves for being who they are because someone else thinks differently. Everyone has the right to be treated equally, to have the same rights as every other person.
I'm sure not everyone agrees with me. You might say, "It's unnatural to like the same sex!" or "If God wanted us to be homosexual, he would have made everyone homosexual." maybe even "God made Adam and Eve two different sexes for a reason."
Unnatural huh? Maybe it is 'unnatural' to like the same sex, but then again cars are unnatural, and no one complains about them. McDonald's burgers are unnatural, as well as owning pets. God didn't make animals so we could keep them and play fetch, or snuggle with them, or cry into their soft, silky fur. And what is natural? Apples are natural. Fruits, and vegetables are all natural, and yet, how many people actually eat five servings of fruits and veggies a day? Not many, at least not in America.
Gay people are the same as every last person out there. Like all of you, they too want to live out their life happily, and know that they are secure. They too feel pain and sadness, but they also feel happiness and glee. Just because they love different than what some people are used to, doesn't mean it's wrong. Maybe, just maybe, God didn't mean for homosexuality to become apart of our life, but don't you think he loves us all enough to look past our differences and just love us for the person we are inside.
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, 'When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."' This is America the Free, and I feel that Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech was not meant just for the black men and women of America, but to all that have been treated unfairly for any reason.
Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day whites and blacks could play together and be at peace. I have my own dream. My dream is a little different. I have a dream that one day we can set our flags together. That one day the rainbow will become part of America. One day we will not only be the Melting Pot of religion, but of sexuality as well. That one day America will show the world that, once again, we have overcome our differences to bring peace. We all stand united by our flag, and united we shall stay, hand in hand.

I wrote this a while ago for a speech in English. Can;t remember why I always say "They and gay people" instead of "we and us."

SilentLust said...
on Nov. 6 2009 at 9:24 pm
Sorry guys, I forgot to edit this before I sent it in. I should have used the word Homosexual or we or us instead of gay people. That just makes me sound like an ignorant kid. I'm sorry.