The Knack | Teen Ink

The Knack

October 23, 2019
By d3lla BRONZE, Wuakesha, Wisconsin
d3lla BRONZE, Wuakesha, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sitting down at the dinner table, I knew it was going to be another day where my father reminisces about his life in the 80’s. Pointing his fork at my brother and me, he says, “You boys will never understand what it’s like to have Ronald Reagan as your president.” 

I grinned and made a snide remark about his tax policy. Already, dad was fuming. Bickering ensued, and nothing gained except for my new found persona of my father being the enemy of the people. 

Peering over to my brother, he seemed to be somewhat dazed and confused by what he just heard. “Greg, what are you even talking about?” I sat astounded, I didn’t even know where to begin with him.

My personal political philosophy sounded like nonsensical jargon to him. After thirty seconds of spouting the most ideal economic system, my brother shrugged and sighed. “You’re…going to vote, right?” I asked. He shook his head, and my stomach dropped. 

I suppose not everyone has the knack for politics, but the mixture of ignorance and apathy was clearly apparent. It’s scary to think his vote has just as much power as mine. Of course, nobody told me to study economics or the foundation of the United States, but there is an unwritten civic duty to do your homework. 

Any citizen can walk into a polling station and cast their vote for whoever they please. No preemptive study required. These thoughts whirled in my mind. A sense of doom cascaded down as I realized a generation of oblivious voters were in the making. 

A generation who is being told who to vote for, a generation appeasing corporations and  special interest groups, a generation that simply cannot seem to care for the reason behind casting a vote. 

I brought myself back to reality, and soon realized that my father was occupied with grumbling and groaning about bureaucracy and why his taxes shouldn’t be what they are now. I couldn’t listen bare to listen to him, something my brother was an ace at.