What is truth? What isn't? How Do we know? | Teen Ink

What is truth? What isn't? How Do we know?

Rationale: I chose to write about Mrs. Hill the librarian at my school.  I chose Mrs. Hill because I felt that she was a very interesting and talkative person. I also decided to interview someone in the school because my mom is studying to become a teacher and I felt that seeing the everyday life of a teacher would be perfect to help my mom follow her goals. Mrs. Hill's story was a very happy one with a great upbringing and a great life overall. Mrs. Hill had an abundance of advice that I felt really helped me with school stress.

Hello I am Pamela Hill and I am a librarian, Advisor, and teacher. Everyday I ride down kuykendahl road to go to school looking at the sun rise above the stores lining the quiet streets. Every morning hearing my engine shriek from the conveyor belt not working properly. It is a very ordinary drive since I have grown up in Spring my whole life driving down the same road every day.

As a child I fell in love with the smiles of other children and smell of pencil lead, I didn't understand why but I knew this is something I wanted to experience for the rest of my life. The most clear memory I have of school was in my seventh grade math class when my teacher taught in ways that were fun and easy to learn. That teacher inspired me to become a educator. I eventually reached high school and in junior year my life started to fall apart. My grades dropped and fights between me and my parents erupted in the house making it hard to feel confident of my academic ability. I finally grew out of being stubborn and selfish turning my grades around in my senior year. I was accepted into a university to study “Education”, I was truly ecstatic. An unexpected gift came with my senior year graduation, I was pregnant! I was thrilled, yet nervous, since I wanted to focus on my career with no distractions. I was hired as a English teacher and of course felt happy with it making less than fifty five thousand a year, but I knew the fifty five thousand could not sustain me and my son. So I applied to get a masters degree in “Library science”, in order to open up doors for higher paying jobs . I can remember coming home every night feeling exhausted having to study, teach, and take care of my son. I  remember turning the cold knob to my house dreading the thought of more responsibilities from paying the bills to a four page essay due in my “Library science” class. After an hour of being home I felt an excruciating pain in my hand due to grading english tests for the next day, while simultaneously feeding my one year old son. Not having time to cook for me and eating noodles every night, still today the taste of noodles reminds me of tough times.

Working as a librarian put a lot of stress on me due to such the demanding job, yet, I found ways to cope with it. I run long distances as an outlet for stress, making me realize how privileged I am to be an educator at such a amazing and diverse school. Over time I have learned that stress is only present when you let it get to your head. Even though I love my job, my dream is to work in the computer science field and eventually travel the world. As my mom would say,  “you can do anything you want if you set your mind to it.” 

I really wanted to show what a teacher goes through and maybe what they could have been. I have grown up all over the world and have got see many teachers and what they live like. This for my mom who hopes to be a teacher soon.