Top Voted School / College Articles

Here are the top voted school / college articles:

voted
#1
The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study... (more »)
783 comments
voted
#2
Asymptotic Education This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“We’re going to start this year with a review of fractions!” The fact that my sister is hearing that sentence in fifth grade is discouraging. Her class hasn’t even started utilizing variables, though my fourth-grade cousin in India is... (more »)
19 comments
voted
#3
The Cost of Prom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Every high school junior and senior dreams of attending the prom – the glamour, the glitz, the dressing up, and the memories – but the prom is ­becoming more and more expensive. Is this four or five hours worth the cost? Tickets range from... (more »)
56 comments
voted
#4
Testing, Testing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Albert Einstein once said, “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” Even he saw the obvious fallacies in testing. The basic purpose of school is to equip us for success. That's what... (more »)
22 comments
voted
#5
Music Education in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Can you imagine a world without music? Studies conducted by the National Conference of State Legislatures show that public schools across the country are cutting back on music classes in an ­attempt to save money. Worse, some schools have never... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#6
Are Fine Arts Doomed? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It's August 20, and you're sitting on the new stadium seats at your school's first football game of the season. The air is fresh, the crowd is cheering, and your team is crushing the competition. Yet among all this normal game-day excitement,... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#7
Heavy Reading This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I go to a Catholic school that has The Satanic Verses in the library. This makes my heart dance with the Satanic daffodils. We even get M2, a magazine “for the New Zealand man,” at my all-girls school. This is also pretty awesome. The lack of... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#8
Gum: Not so Dumb? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Schools around the country ban gum, but recent studies may help once again give gum a good name. Research has concluded that gum chewing has many health benefits and contributes to a positive learning environment. Given this, bringing gum back... (more »)
31 comments
voted
#9
Cyber-Bullying This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Black letters flash across the screen, launching an attack of rumors and insults. A text, a Facebook wall post, a Tweet – a line or two is all it takes to wound someone's self-esteem, to bring tears, to ruin a friendship. With the explosion... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#10
Summer Reading: A National Tragedy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Summer reading: the phrase evokes dread and apprehension among students nationwide. Why? Split the words apart; “summer” brings to mind limitless possibility, endless days of sun, beach, and school-free paradise. And “reading” does not... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#11
Students, Meet the Real World This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
For four years during high school, we learn the principles of science and math. How to solve for x in a polynomial equation. But as a volunteer engineer for a manufacturing factory during my sophomore year, I found that the typical high school... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#12
School Clubs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In today's economy, school boards have been cutting programs left and right. Schools are losing arts funding, sports teams, clubs, and elective classes. These programs might seem logical to cut as opposed to offering fewer academic classes, but... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#13
Suspending Suspension This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Every day hundreds of students are suspended from school for petty misdemeanors and insignificant offenses. Although suspension was once considered a positive practice that promoted good behavior, this punishment is often exercised unjustly,... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#14
Minivan Superfan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Sweet ride, bro!” “Who is that?” “Wow!” These are comments that teenagers want to hear when they drive to school or cruise through town with their friends. Yet a lot of the time we hear other things, like “That's your... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#15
Happy at Home This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
By , Palm Bay, FL
I had fully planned on attending high school. Honest. I had already missed middle school, so there was no way I was missing out on “the best years of my life.” But, when the time came to enroll or continue home-schooling, I picked the latter.... (more »)
voted
#16
In The Summertime This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The morning I was told to write something for the newspaper, Mungo Jerry snuck into my subconscious. Well, not exactly. It would be more accurate to say the song “In the Summertime” played as I tried to wake up. It was successful. For all... (more »)
2 comments