Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

mikey123 said...
Homework is given in abundant amounts to us. I'm just lucky I have time to write this up. I am in the seventh grade, and I believe that sometimes, too much homework is given to us, especially on vacations where I want to be with the family. Homework gets in the way of studying for my tests many of the time (I am an advanced class student). I have saturday school, giving me only one more day (sunday and part of Saturday) to finish my work every week. I plan to do my Saturday school homework w... (more »)

mhara replied...
Feb. 10 at 6:33 am :
thanks ilove you

cookie1234 replied...
Feb. 12 at 6:12 pm :
I know right, teachers always pile it on when you go on vacations.  Whats the point of going away if you will spend all your time finishing your homework, the reason you went away was for a break! 

inthecorner919This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thanks LAXdoubleK!! I used your article as a resource for (ironically) homework.  I got a really good grade too!! I also posted my work on my account:)  You might be interested in that:P  Again thank-you!!!  

Rick is a Star said...
Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:39 am:
I am in 9th standard and i am having too much pressure.I want some of my teenink friends to give some tips about this

JBroccoli said...
As a 9th grade student and 3 sport athlete I can easily relate to this aritcle. i often stay up late nights as you said, doing homework or studing. I play basketball right now and I have practice every day so i have to get home do homework, go to basketball, come back and do more homework. I barely have enogh time to eat and take a shower. I have found that if I am assigned homework thats not due the next day that I should do the homework the night it is given to me. Your situation is the s... (more »)

MisterMartien said...
Too bad we hardly have time to manage.

snoefu said...
Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:03 am:
Nice point. Sometimes there are those nights that therr I only 1 thing and somtimes every period has homework  

nilo said...
um, i agree if homework has been a burden to us all and we see no point of having it in our school life. however, it is not completely useless and if you had given some of your time to do homework and reduce your time in catching up with those facebook, and other social networking, you wont get those problems such as lack of sleep and all that.. so its all about your time-management.   

smartdevon replied...
Feb. 13 at 2:12 pm :
there is actually no proof that homework helps at all with a students ability to grast onto a certain concept.

pedro said...
LOL.....  thats right, i said LOL

majesticgoldenrose said...
I remember when I was able to go to sleep around midnight. Now, in 9th grade, I'm up to 2 or 3 sometimes. And who said "6 or more hours"? I get off the bus about 3:30, and I start at 4 taking only 2 half hour breaks (shower, dinner) That adds up to more like 9 or 10, to me.

sunshine boo replied...
Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:17 am :
well thats exactly what happend to  me  

justin01 replied...
Jan. 15 at 1:53 pm :
me to i whish i could sleep

justkiddinguniversityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:27 pm:
i TOTALLY agree with this because this was me and probably will be me this year in 9th grade. Great job.

inspiredpassion08 said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm:
I agree completely with your esaay. I think that teachers should give us homework in little amounts, each assignment taking about 15 minutes to do for each class. For instance, say you have 7 periods, you would only have about two hours of hw- rather than 6 or more. Teachers should be the ones teaching, not the homework itself.

summercn11 said...
May 30, 2013 at 9:08 am:
It is a delight to hear from a teenager, who is in the same state of despair like me, expressing his misery in the well-written essay.  In our school, heaps of homework are assigned everyday, tests (of multiple subjects) are held weekly.  Frankly, I spend no less than 2 hours doing homework and 3 hours for revision on a daily basis.  Under the burden of having so much homework, I simply have no time to join extra-curricular activities, take up new hobbies, and needless to say, a &... (more »)

Shanna. said...
May 28, 2013 at 12:25 am:
Im going through this now.

I decided to go on this site because i'm literally crying while doing my homework at such a late time ( It's 12:19 here) Due to my loaction I have to wake up at 5am to get to school ( Already have less then 5 hours to sleep ) I always wonder.... Why not go to to bed...  and I'm not crying because I'm sad...

Oh no no no. I'm crying because thats my body's way to signal me to go to bed. I'm stressed out emotional... (more »)

clairemarie replied...
Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:12 am :
All that you guys are saying is so true. I'm a freshman with about half normal classes and half advanced classes.  I'm also in sports that will last two and a half hours after school ends.  By the time I get home I eat and will start my homework as soon as I'm done, around 6:30 pm.  I am constantly staying up until 1, 2, or 3 am doing homework NONSTOP.  Considering I have to wake up at 5 am, that gives me 2-4 hours of sleep every night.  I will admit i have h... (more »)

Dirty Dan said...
May 21, 2013 at 11:02 am:
Im in 8th grade and i get all A's and B's i hate homework. I play football, baseball, and basketball, that's year round and homework is very stressfull. After a late game i barely have anytime to do it. It stinks  

Emiduck said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm:
I understand completely! I'm a sophomore in high school in all honors classes and a college math class and I feel like I spend ALL of my time on homework. Once I got home from school at 3:30, immediately sat down and got to work, and didn't go to bed until 3 am. That's 12 hours! I have not time for anything else. When I do make time for my family, I spend it worrying about how much homework I'll have to do to make up for the time I'm spending with them. It's really unheal... (more »)