Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

Nicole1110 said...
I completely agree! At my school they say 2 hours of homework for each class you have and that means getting no school at all.

evandille said...
Nov. 11, 2015 at 9:14 am
Homework isn't evil. It is defenitely inconvenient but it is necessary. That is how colleges and employers know what kind of person you are. The better your grades, the more homework you do, which means that they can find out how organized, determined, and a hard worker you are. People need to just stop complaining, because the world doesn't revolve around them. I understand homework sucks, but we have to do what we have to do.

IB-WorldSchoolStu. replied...
Feb. 11 at 9:41 pm
@evandille you are incorrect and correct at the same time. You see, i attend a odd type of school, (IB/K-8 Montessori/MYP school to be exact.) we as students cannot complain to the amount of homework we get, reason being because the teachers always come back with one of the most cliche, overused responses of all time: "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE CAME TO THIS SCHOOL"This response to me seems almost like they are mocking us as if we are so kind of robot capable of staying up 8 hours and being able to wake... (more »)

homeworksucks. sry replied...
Mar. 1 at 9:44 pm
I understand why you think that, but I'm in seventh grade and I have more homework than some seniors that I know and my teachers can be ridiculous. And the worst part is... they even admit it but they won't do anything about it.

LilCuz1322This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Why don't you go complain to the teachers about homework. When you're in advanced classes you're expected more of. Stop being dramatic. It's annoying. We probably have more homework than YOU!!!!!!!!

LilCuz1322This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I'm not mean.

malkhuthb replied...
you may be able to bear 4-5 hours of homework a day and 6-7 hours of homework on the weekend but other people cant

rcmastah replied...
Feb. 29 at 5:50 pm
BTW I'm in the standard classes and I never get any free time. Even worse, I have zeros, so I can't do things like play on my Xbox or hang out with my friends NEARLY as much. In the meantime, teachers are wasting too much time in class, thus meaning that students become depressed while teachers get to enjoy themselves almost all the time when they're not teaching.

QudsiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 12, 2015 at 7:44 am
do you even know what is stress? Just come to India and see the loads of homework we get along with assignments and co curriculars. you talk of studying till 11 o clock. We have to stay up till 2 or 3 am and struggle. Enjoy your life and kick stress away.

Streit replied...
Austin I loved your story. You did a great job of describing your setting and characters. This was fun to read!

doctorwho said...
Aug. 31, 2015 at 8:57 am
i totally agree last night I had so much homework and it was all do the next day so I was up till one in the morning but I didn't even finish it and I just broke down in tears and now I don't want to go to school I need to sleep, and I'm only in 8th grade I don't want to go to high school.

KittyKat1419 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I totally agree! Homework is horrible! I'm in 8th grade and have tons of homework per day...people should do something about it! And at the end of the school year. That's the worst, when the teachers try to pile it on top of you when you already just want to go home. It's miserable and if you don't have to deal with it, you're lucky.

Homework GOD replied...
Aug. 27, 2015 at 6:01 am
@KittyKat1419, when you are in ur 8, your body feels different and you think you have so much stress when you don't have any at all! Calm down, you're hormones are having the better of you.

IAceEnglishThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
@Homework God She still had an honest opinion

homeworkhater replied...
Jan. 31 at 2:02 pm
@homework god That's kind of not true. That's a generalization, and even if hormones are messing with her/his brain, they can still have an opinion. And if you feel like you have stress, then you have stress. It's as simple as that. Stress is a mental thing.

BENNY123456789 said...
CRAZY! HOMEWORK SUCKS MATE

angeline said...
Jun. 3, 2015 at 6:09 am
I like homework it is better than tidying my room.

SonakshiYadav said...
May 24, 2015 at 10:26 am
Unfortunately, this is very true. I too have been asking myself the same question lately, is doing all this homework really worth it?! I don't think that it is, but as my grades depend on it, I just can't do anything about this. Schools, instead giving space to students are pressuring them into doing things the way which they think is right.(even if it isn't)

SonakshiYadav replied...
May 24, 2015 at 10:27 am
*instead of

RynKep said...
I am doing a speech on why homework shouldn't have a negative effect on my grades. While doing research I came across your article, and even though my teacher said to avoid the teen rags because it would just be a bunch of teenagers complaining, you sound like you've done your homework. (pun very intended) If you wouldn't mind, could you please share your sources with me to aid in my speech? Please and thank you.