Too Much Homework, Too Little Time | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

By LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is:
Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

CoolDarkFoo said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 8:47 am
The one thing about homeworks that I hate is that some of these sheets are not even worth to write and I got a 0 for not doing it!

CoolDarkFoo said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 8:43 am
Hi Guys! I am really a procrastinator of homeworks because they are too long! I am searching for answers to stop this!

KaeJaeGal said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 4:23 am
I agree. i have a friend who's in an elite school and does homework until 4am in the morning!

on May. 20 2011 at 7:15 am
hi im inuyasha lover1

on May. 20 2011 at 7:13 am
this ludicris home work is not needed i some times stay up to 9 if im luckey with home work is a god sent i have a social life at all

on May. 19 2011 at 6:53 am
HorseLover SILVER, Dallas, Texas

"A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat."~Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist

I agree. I get done my homework at about 9 every night, but I know a lot of people who don't get done until 11 or 12.

on May. 5 2011 at 10:56 pm
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

He's talking about the above comment. And I totally agree with him.

uhmmmm said...
on May. 5 2011 at 5:26 pm
uhmm but  that kidd did a really good jod and now you coming nd saying thatt grammar is a reasoning forr homeworkk likee pleaseee youu make noo typee of freaking sensee ugly >:0

on Apr. 28 2011 at 6:44 pm
hi im yerro

*Lovely* said...
on Apr. 7 2011 at 12:28 pm
So what is your personal opinion on the amount of homework that is given?

on Mar. 24 2011 at 9:07 pm
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

I'm glad you liked my article but you should care about learning! It's your future, your life!

on Mar. 24 2011 at 9:05 pm
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

Yes, I agree completely. Reality is that school isn't really possible without homework. I'm just suggesting that teachers need to be smarter and more efficient so we don't need to such a ridiculous amount of work.

on Mar. 24 2011 at 7:22 pm
simplydivine BRONZE, None Of Your Business, Wisconsin

I have a lot so when I have time I will put some up. Haha

After being cooped up inside at school for eight hours. Learning about stuff that we really don't care about. And they expect us to do another hour or two at home? It really is pathethic.

Great article!

Becca17 GOLD said...
on Mar. 24 2011 at 2:00 pm
Becca17 GOLD, Belleville Ontario, Other

“Seven Deadly Sins:
Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Science without humanity
Knowledge without character
Politics without principle
Commerce without morality
Worship without sacrifice.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Definitely a fascinating article and I definitely agree that the work overload can feel far to overwhelming for the developing teenager.

on Mar. 24 2011 at 12:01 pm
ventureroftheunknown BRONZE, Adell, Wisconsin

you don't have to keep me falling, but it'd sure be cool if you did.

i believe if you are in sixth gradee then you need your homework to learn and build you knowledge; dancing and making jewelry can come later.

fungus! said...
on Mar. 24 2011 at 8:06 am
that is true people have to much homework to do in such little time!

hmeeks said...
on Mar. 9 2011 at 4:09 pm
I'm sorry, but your grammar is one of the very reasons that homework is assigned.. I agree that there is too much, however, we need the work to help us find our mistakes and fix them.. I would love to drive down to the movies with my friends, so i understand where you're coming from, however there is always room or improvement.

hmeeks said...
on Mar. 9 2011 at 10:19 am
I believe this essay conveys the views of many middle/highschoolers. However, in just reading somet of the comments, it's easy to realize just how much we need the homework. Sure, it cuts back from time with friends, but in the scheme of things, we still need work. Just not as much. And help from teachers would be a great benifit.

on Feb. 8 2011 at 4:42 pm
Skylersmith1997 BRONZE, Gales Ferry, Connecticut
I completly agree with you. Homework is a waste of our time. I will literally stay up until 9:00 pm doing homework and still not getting it done. It affects me from being able to hang out with my friends and I still don't get my homework done. I agree 100%

autumn09 said...
on Jan. 25 2011 at 8:56 pm

I am in  6th grade in gifted accelerated classes, and i think the homework has to stop!!! i don't have a life anymore!!

i can't make jewlery, can't dance,i can't even care for my pets!!i'm sick of it!!!!!

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare