Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

doctorwho said...
Aug. 31 at 8:57 am
i totally agree last night I had so much homework and it was all do the next day so I was up till one in the morning but I didn't even finish it and I just broke down in tears and now I don't want to go to school I need to sleep, and I'm only in 8th grade I don't want to go to high school.
KittyKat1419This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28 at 7:05 pm
I totally agree! Homework is horrible! I'm in 8th grade and have tons of homework per day...people should do something about it! And at the end of the school year. That's the worst, when the teachers try to pile it on top of you when you already just want to go home. It's miserable and if you don't have to deal with it, you're lucky.
Homework GOD replied...
Aug. 27 at 6:01 am
@KittyKat1419, when you are in ur 8, your body feels different and you think you have so much stress when you don't have any at all! Calm down, you're hormones are having the better of you.
IAceEnglish replied...
today at 9:18 pm
@Homework God She still had an honest opinion
BENNY123456789 said...
Jun. 12 at 10:05 pm
angeline said...
Jun. 3 at 6:09 am
I like homework it is better than tidying my room.
SonakshiYadav said...
May 24 at 10:26 am
Unfortunately, this is very true. I too have been asking myself the same question lately, is doing all this homework really worth it?! I don't think that it is, but as my grades depend on it, I just can't do anything about this. Schools, instead giving space to students are pressuring them into doing things the way which they think is right.(even if it isn't)
SonakshiYadav replied...
May 24 at 10:27 am
*instead of
RynKep said...
Apr. 27 at 2:14 pm
I am doing a speech on why homework shouldn't have a negative effect on my grades. While doing research I came across your article, and even though my teacher said to avoid the teen rags because it would just be a bunch of teenagers complaining, you sound like you've done your homework. (pun very intended) If you wouldn't mind, could you please share your sources with me to aid in my speech? Please and thank you.
MinecraftGirl said...
Apr. 21 at 7:05 pm
I am so fed up with how much language arts homework we have. My teacher makes us do a journal entry for this book (which is the worst book I've ever read) and a vocabulary chart. Oh, and a proverb chart, a figurative language chat, and a response for every chapter. I'm SOOO busy. To sum it all up, Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
Natasha said...
Apr. 19 at 1:52 pm
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to handle junior year coming up, as its supposed to be one of the most critical and difficult years of your academic career. I'm in almost all advanced classes, and every night I get about 3-4 hours of homework. I'm not able to have a life outside of school. The sad part is my parents don't even care, or refuse to see how much it's taking a toll on me. They think that it's normal for students to get this much homework, and ... (more »)
zingenzombie said...
Mar. 30 at 10:43 pm
I completely agree, I am in middle school averaging about 3 and a half hours of homework. The problem is parents just think of their old homework, they think it has not changed. This is not true, if you show your parents a math question they are clueless. Things have been discovered and everything gets put In books, this has truly increased homework. Teachers may say students should only need 20 minutes for an assignment, that does not make sense if every student in the class spends an hour an... (more »)
sallysunshine said...
Mar. 26 at 12:36 pm
Great job!!!!!
SchoolGirl12 said...
Mar. 23 at 1:13 pm
I'm doing a debate for this and I wanted to have some other people's opinion on both negative and positive. Thanks guys.
AnsonL169 replied...
Mar. 31 at 5:02 am
I have a whole speech that I am using for the same purpose as you. My team is arguing that homework is a good thing. I can send you a copy if you like after my teacher gives me feedback after we present to our class.
Zayna D. said...
Mar. 16 at 9:32 pm
ocean-blueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 12 at 10:05 pm
Really good. Great research, and I totally agree! You have an amazing writing style, too! Keep it up!
synchroskating said...
Mar. 10 at 10:15 pm
Freshman in high school, all advanced and honors classes. (advanced is offered for math and spanish, it is harder than honors.) I have field hockey after school until 5 or 6, and figure skating from 7-9. I barely have time to eat, much less finish my 3 or more hours of homework! I can't do this anymore.
Coolerica02 said...
Feb. 25 at 9:38 pm
Wow.....middle school sounds horrible. I'm in 5th grade and homework is mostly easy and usually a paragraph and 5 math questions.
Steve replied...
Mar. 4 at 2:54 pm
Yup. Ur in for hell buddy. Oh well. Enjoy the rest of ur life in school. It sucks. Homewok, homework, homework. All busywork.