Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

musicalmolly said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:36 am:

Your article is very powerful. Bullying is something so terrible and so awful. I know first hand what bullying can do to some people, and I know that sitting around and watching it happen is not how someone should handle it.

I really liked your article. Don't underestimate the power of your own words, however. Just because you haven't seen any changes, doesn't mean anything has changed. Don't give up, and very good job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm :
Thanks, musicalmolly!  I still don't think anything will change, but I can always hope.  I guess I'll update the comments if I notice something has changed at my school.

.Izzy. said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 8:56 am:
This is such an important topic. I don't think people realise how much bullying hurts. It did seem a little repetitious, as well as a couple of small grammatical errors. But overall, you knew your facts and voiced your opinions well.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 9:17 am :
Thanks, .Izzy.! Bullying hurts a lot and I just wish this article would help (even a little bit) change my school. But I'm a realist; I know nothing will change.

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm:
That was really good!!!!  Although I don't think the teachers do enough to make it stop or they just never notice it :/  Great job keep writing!!!!!!! ;D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm :
You're right, JoPepper, teachers don't do enough to stop it.  The teachers at my school (which is really bad for bullying) just don't care anymore.  They have just given up, even though they notice it.

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:14 am:
This was well written and you made this seem like a really big problem that we need to fix - which it is. Good job! The only complaint I have is that it felt like you went overboard with explaining how much pain the victim goes through... yes, I know, they suffer a lot. But it just felt a little repetitious. Maybe that's just me, though.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm :

Thanks, xelawriter97!  Yeah, I probably went overboard on the victim's pain part but that's because I was bullied (I know how much it hurts) and I wanted to tell the people who are bullies just how much pain their victims go through.  Because they do go through incredible pain.

Bullying is a huge problem and it needs to stop.  My article hasn't done anything to the situation at my school (which is nearing crisis point) but maybe it will help some of the people here on Te... (more »)

IncorrectlyWired said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
The line, "As the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper." is slightly redundant, but over all this is a very passionate opinion piece. I completely agree with everything you say, and I think you voiced your outcry well. People listen to people who speak well more often than following bad speakers.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm :

Thanks for the comment, IncorrectlyWired.  And thank you for saying I voiced my outcry well.  I just really hope people hear my outcry and the situation at my school gets better.  As someone who has been bullied (and is still bullied), I know what I'm talking about when I speak of the pain bullying causes.

I don't think it's redundant.  What I meant to say was that as the victim's overall pain increases, then minor jabs hurt more than they would have without that bu... (more »)

ShadowriderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:16 pm:
This article is very true! You expressed your facts and points very well. Just a few grammatical errors: "student's" should be "students'" I think there are a couple others, but over all this is a very moving piece! Nice Job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm :
Thank you for the comment, Shadowrider!  And no, 'student's' should not be changed to 'students' because I am talking about their behavior.  The apostrophe denotes that the behavior belongs to the students.  If anything, my mistake was to put the apostrophe before the s instead of after the s, because it is plural.

ShadowriderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm :
I know If you look closely that's what I did but there is a quotation mark after it so it looks like it's just students instead of students'

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:42 pm :
Oh, whoops!  I see what you mean now; sorry.  And thank you for the criticism, I really appreciate it.

Zinaidia replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm :
I loved how you put statistics inside of the article, and how you stook so strong of a stance on this issue. You weren't boring and your voice didn't come out as monotonous. (sp) Very excellent job here.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm :
Thank you, Zinaida!  I'm glad I didn't come off as boring; that's definitely not what I was aiming for. ;)

DestiPoohxoxo replied...
Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm :
What if your just laughing at a joke that somebody is saying in front of the class about that person??And if it's wrong how can i stop them from laughing??