Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

far.from.you. said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm:
Same as ArgonElement, that part was my favorite. Great use as a metaphor? i think it is, lol. But honestly, u opened my eyes to a whole knew world that i rarely payed any attention too.. bravo, u are very, very talented, tomorrow im going to check out more of your work!(:

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm :
Thanks so much!  I'm glad you liked my article; I'm very passionate about the topic of bullying. :)

ArgonElement said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm:

"While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper."

This was probably my most favorite part. Truely hits home. I am so proud that you posted this. I thank you on behalf of all teens every where, whether they are victims, bullies, or bystanders.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm :
Thanks, ArgonElement!  I just wish my article would do some good by making the bullies listen to how much they're hurting their victims.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 7:06 pm:
I've never really been bullied, but I've heard of friends who have been bullied and it's so horrible! You're so right about it having to be stopped. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm :
Thanks, Garnet77!  I appreciate your support. :)

TwinnBears27 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm:
I really liked this article. I was bullied for most of elementary and middle school and still go through the long term effects. So, it's nice to hear that other people, besides the victims, care enough to speak out about it. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm :

I'm sorry you were bullied for so long; my own experiences were quite similar to yours.  I do suffer from the long-term effects (trusting people is incredibly hard) as well. 

I'm still occasionally bullied, but it's not nearly as bad as what is happening to some of my friends.  That's why I felt the need to stand up for them. :)

Hippiealien said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm:
Really well written! I liked how you wrote it for your school and you are trying to make your school a better place. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 5:45 pm :
Thanks for the comment!

musicispassion said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm:
this was great i've been bullied and i didn't want to go to school but we solved it when people tell any of our friends like our group we automatically assemble and go we all protect eachother i love the word jab

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:31 pm :
Thanks for the comment!  I'm sorry you were bullied, but I'm glad you solved that problem. :)

DarkenRose said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm:
This is really inspiring, It tells the truth of how kids get bullied and want to end their lifes and how we should stop it, great job

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm :
Thanks!  I was bullied myself, so I definitely know how it feels.

DarkenRose replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
Your welcome:) and thats awfull! :(  I'm glad your fighting back with this article:)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm :
It's really the only way I can fight back because the teachers won't do anything.  Yeah, I'm still bullied a bit.

DarkenRose replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm :
I hate it when they don't do anything to put a stop to it, they just pretend they don't see nothing, it's not right nor is it fair and thats horrible that your still bullied a bit:( and I really do hope you win this fight against bulling

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm :
I hope so too, but I doubt it.  People at school are stuck in their ways.  And since bullying is such a taboo issue, no one does anything about it even though it's right in the open.  One of my friends is bullied constantly in class and the teachers just turn the other cheek.

DarkenRose replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:25 pm :
Thats sicken, how could they do that? Thats just messed up but don't lose hope, one day some one will put a stop to this bullying and I hope it's soon, don't give up

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
Thanks, DarkenRose.  I hope your prediction comes true. :)