Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

Melliana said...
The quote about why you wrote the article is really touching. You say nothing's changed so far; while it's heartbreaking, I'm not entirely surprised. This article in and of itself was moving and hit on a lot of good points. I commend your writing abilities. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...

Thank you! 

Yeah, it's not surprising nothing has changed, I admit that.  But I wish it would.

NinaAA said...
I love the piece 5 stars but I would add a little flair to the piece by using synonyms for "victim" and adding a personal touch. For example share stories from your school!

CarrieAnn13 replied...

I would have used a synonym for victims, but there are no convenient ones that flow nicely. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

JustEmily said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:23 am
I liked the message. Personally I think a synonym for "victim" put in every now and then would've helped put some variety and vocabulary into this piece.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:34 am
Okay.  Thanks for the feedback!

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I think bullying starts at home. I may be wrong, but if parents and siblings enforce respect then bullying may not be as huge as it is now.

As a piece of writing, I think this had a lot of soul and spirit to it, but I think I would have prefered a more sophisticated (yet colloquial) tone to give you an authority-like edge.

Good job, however! Keep writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting!  How do you suggest giving my writing a more sophisticated tone?

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a great persuasive piece on why we must end bullying. You used your extensive, ever-present vocabulary and perfect paragraph size. Five out of five. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

MidnightFire said...
you wrote this very well, the way i see it is that some thing with bullying happened (like you saw it or watched a movie with that in it, idk) and so then you just wrote this up like it just poured out, that is what it sounds like to me.  I really like the feel/vib this article gives off

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Well, bullying happens constantly at my school.  One night when the power was out, my dad and I got talking about it.  So I booted up my laptop and wrote this.

MidnightFire replied...
i like to read something that you can tell the person totally belives in and come straight from the heart ... i usually stick around the action-adventure area so i dont see this type of righting alot ... the whole I'll read yours if you read mine thing is definately helping me branch out so thanks for the opportunity :)

far.from.you. said...
Same as ArgonElement, that part was my favorite. Great use as a metaphor? i think it is, lol. But honestly, u opened my eyes to a whole knew world that i rarely payed any attention too.. bravo, u are very, very talented, tomorrow im going to check out more of your work!(:

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks so much!  I'm glad you liked my article; I'm very passionate about the topic of bullying. :)

ArgonElement said...

"While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper."

This was probably my most favorite part. Truely hits home. I am so proud that you posted this. I thank you on behalf of all teens every where, whether they are victims, bullies, or bystanders.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, ArgonElement!  I just wish my article would do some good by making the bullies listen to how much they're hurting their victims.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've never really been bullied, but I've heard of friends who have been bullied and it's so horrible! You're so right about it having to be stopped. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, Garnet77!  I appreciate your support. :)

TwinnBears27 said...
I really liked this article. I was bullied for most of elementary and middle school and still go through the long term effects. So, it's nice to hear that other people, besides the victims, care enough to speak out about it. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...

I'm sorry you were bullied for so long; my own experiences were quite similar to yours.  I do suffer from the long-term effects (trusting people is incredibly hard) as well. 

I'm still occasionally bullied, but it's not nearly as bad as what is happening to some of my friends.  That's why I felt the need to stand up for them. :)