Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

RumMonkey said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 1:52 am:
This article is inspiring, and I think that's the best thing a writer should aim to be. Keep on writing, you're great!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:06 am :
Thanks for commenting!

AnimaCordis said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 1:41 am:

I like this paper for it's bluntness. I also like how you've supported your points with facts, that makes your paper more persasive. However I think that you could descirbe the long term effects of bullying. The rates of anorexia and bullima (if that's how you spell it) are higher then suiside rates. You could inculde that. I think you might also try to describe some of the pain that victems feel, perhaps simile would fit here. I like your ending sentence, although I'm not sure that bullying ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:05 am :
Thank you for your feedback.

Bdub555 said...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 9:13 am:
This sums up bullying.  My school is the exact same way and cant seem to get anything changed.  Look at my essay please,  about my time being bullied.  Thanks

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm :
Thanks for commenting!  And I'm sorry your school is that way.  I'll look at your essay.

schoolgirl13 said...
i feel that bullying is cruel and uneccessary. People who take part in it are just vile. What people dont know is that wereas physical pain hurts, words hurt more. This article  is  written very well and hits all points. Its very well worded too. PERFECT!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:09 am :
Thanks for commenting!

Steph0804 said...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:56 am:
You stabbed straight to the point and left nothing out. I really think that if we share this with all the other Inkers, we can get a revolution rolling about :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm :
Thanks!  And I don't expect this article to change anything; I just really needed to vent in my school newsletter.

CarsonFairclothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I think you wrote the concept of this rather well. It was very "to the point", and not very sugar-coated. I think it's important for people to know bullying is, indeed, wrong; and you made some very good points!

You also mentioned that small jabs can amount to a lot of pain; I especially thought this was true, though many people don't realize it. I thought it was very good that you pointed this out.

I did notice some repetition---with the "small jabs"... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)  And yeah, I don't like to sugarcoat serious issues.

cookiegirl said...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 8:28 am:
Nice article, I know bullying should be stopped, it results in psychological damage, I know because I had to deal with it.  Well written, and I hope the message  goes far:)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

AdeleFan said...
I luv the message in this. Bullying in schools should be stopped. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm :
Thanks for commenting!

AdeleFan replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm :
no problem.

CallMeMrs.Batman said...
Amazing work! It sent such a good message to those hurting other people. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm :
Not that they'll actually listen.

JustAnotherOwl said...

I wish bullying was nonexistent, but it seems it just can't be escaped. I'm not going to say I've never hurt anyone's feelings; that would be a tremedous lie. But I will say that I've never purposely tried to hurt someone deep. This is a well written article and more people really need to read it and understand.

Incredibly, I'm not a usual target of bullies simply because I won't put up with it. I may be small and sweet to everyone, but if you are mean to me, you can't ex... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm :
I wish bullying was nonexistant too, but it's not.  So we have to make it happen as little as possible by talking about it openly and deciding on solutions. :)