Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

jegathis stupid dog said...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:52 am
Nice essay
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am
Thank you! :)
gloria said...
thank u very much im doing an assay about bullying u help me alot again thank u
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am
Glad I could help. :)
Anon said...
Bullying is a real horrid thing and I feel very sorry for anyone who is being bullied, I myself was ne bullied my the peoson who is now my one of my best friends.
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am
Thank you for sharing your story.
DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I don't go to public school, so I don't see bullying everyday. But bullying isn't just in school, its everywhere. Thatnk you for writing this Carrie Ann!
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:00 am
Very true!  However, I believe that for most school-aged children and teenagers, they get their first sample of bullying in school.  But thank you for bringing that point up.
DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:38 am
Your welcome, I love all your work!
JohnJames said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:42 am
dont forget the unintentional bullying...pranks can actually really hurt someone as well even if it was just intended for a good laugh...  
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:00 am
So true.  You do have to be careful with pranks because they can be taken the wrong way even if it was meant in good fun.  The best policy is not to pull pranks except on really good friends.  Even then, you have to ask yourself: How would I feel if my friend did this to me?
Marlina said...
that is so true i know alot of bully's in school i try to stop them but they just take it as a joke
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:59 am
Yes, I've definitely encountered that problem as well.  They don't see how much they're hurting other people; they think it's all fun and games because they're laughing.  Do they stop to think if their victim is laughing?  No.
stylist said...
Excellent Job
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:58 am
Thanks! :)
george said...
Hello Carrie i was amazed by your article , you did a great job and you gave me some ideas for my research essay. I wish you all the best xx
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:58 am
I'm glad I could help! :)
ma long said...
  we have to help people  
geo07 replied...
animelover said...
My opinion about this article is that bullying should stop because it have cause a lot of trouble to the person and the family as a result.